Parasound amps appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pdxway, May 31, 2019.

1. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Thinking of buying a Parasound jc3+ or Jc3jr......will run into my original HINT. Have any of you compared to two? How close does the JR get to the 3+ in terms of sound?

Monty12 and GoldprintAudio like this.
  2. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

I always put my pre and amp on standby. My gear is in a credenza with a door which I open only when listening. I like the fact that that everything stays cool when I close the door. That reminds me, I wonder if I powered everything down, or just standby. I left my apartment in the middle of March and still haven't been back. This thread is making me miss my apartment system...

3. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

4. PhilCo

PhilCo Forum Resident

FMuakassa, I sent you a PM

5. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

One of the greatest deals around! The JC-2 BP

bluemooze and Monty12 like this.
  6. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I hate you.......

7. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I've listened to both quite a bit. Like most things audio, it really comes down to where you are comfortable price point wise. The JR. gets you basically 90% (or more) sound wise what the + gets you at half the price. If having the absolute best detail, soundstage, etc is important....then grab the + (it's an amazing piece of gear). If you are good with getting really, really close to that, the JR is an absolute bargain (in my opinion).

Monty12 and TerpStation like this.
  8. Lowgroove

Lowgroove Forum Resident

I love that album!

9. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

I received my A21 and got it all set up last night. Sounds phenomenal! So much so, that I'm ditching my Schiit Loki EQ. No need for that now. I'm using my Denon AVR as the preamp. When I was running everything through the Denon, I would play records on Stereo mode and use my sub. But I realized that Direct mode, without the sub, sounds much better with the A21. Now I have to play around with speaker placement this weekend to dial it in.

Rick58, mreeter, Pythonman and 2 others like this.
  10. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

How would you compare the HINT's DAC with your Marantz? I also use the HINT and have been looking at the Marantz, but I always wonder how much of an improvement I would have.

11. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Thanks for sharing your story. I've got a Denon AVR-3801 that I enjoy (and in fact vastly prefer this AVR-3801 over the much more cold and clinical sound of my Denon AVR-4311CI), but I've often wondered about how much better my system might sound if that was the one component I changed, and everything else remained the same.

I've daydreamed a lot about either swapping the AVR-3801 out entirely for a Parasound HINT integrated amp, or leaving the AVR-3801 as a pre-amp and connecting a separate power amp to it. I worry: Would the Denon be too much of a bottleneck/limitation in the signal path, leaving me disappointed in a sound that doesn't improve much -- or at all -- by connecting something like an A23+?

Your story suggests that an external power amp, with all else remaining the same, could provide a significant improvement.

(By the way, I already only use my Denon receiver in Direct mode. I found the stereo mode to be too "soft" ("mushy"?) compared to the clarity and separation I enjoy in Direct mode. I'm not a bass fanatic, and I don't turn up my music too loud, so while I'm generally pleased with my Elac bookshelf speakers that go to 44Hz, I do wonder if a more powerful external amp would bring more impact to the bass frequencies, without risking damage to the Elac speakers -- max power handling rating is just 120 watts.)

Rob9874 likes this.
  12. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident Thread Starter

Made some changes with my setups since my original post. All my Parasound amps are now in my living room powering a 7.2 setup.

One Parasound A21 and 3 Parasound A23.

Love listening to stereo music using all 7.2 channels in "Multi CH Stereo" mode. :)

[​IMG]

13. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I enjoyed the A21 so much, that I recently acquired a like new Dealer Demo JC5. This Amplifier is an "End Game" piece for me, I love it.

[​IMG]

Bill Mac, pdxway, bever70 and 3 others like this.
  14. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Some very nice changes you've made, bet the set up in very engaging. Bravo:righton:

pdxway likes this.
  15. pdxway

Wow, beautiful setup! Can you describe the differences you observed as compared to A21?

16. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

First thing that came to mind was the JC5 is Smoother than the A21. Effortless, endless pure clean Current. The Dynamics are amazing, I have sound literally jumping out of the Speakers. Low Level Listening has also taken on a whole new presentation as well.

While my Speakers are a fairly easy to drive at 90 dB @ 4 Ohm, I can't find reason why the JC5 wouldn't drive any speaker, regardless of load. The Power and Current reserve seems endless.

Coupled with a Tube Preamp, this thing is KILLER

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  17. pdxway

Excellent! :righton:

I have similar observations when switched out an old integrated Yamaha multichannel amp with 3 of my A23 in my living room setup. Smoother and better dynamics. I am not sure I want smoother presentation for my main speakers. A21 is already plenty smooth. : )

Thanks for the information and wish you many years of enjoyments!

mreeter likes this.
  18. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Yes, the A21 is not "etched" or bright at all, very neutral. The simplest way to describe the JC5 is; it has all the characteristics of the A21, just more of it:D.

Rick58, Monty12 and pdxway like this.
  19. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

Stop! I just got the A21, don't need temptations for its replacement just yet. :D

Rick58, Monty12, pdxway and 1 other person like this.
  20. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

:D Rob was the recipient of my former A21, what a GREAT Guy to deal with, I'm really happy that he has the A21, as it is special:righton:

Rob9874, Monty12 and pdxway like this.
  21. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I have a P5 and matching Halo tuner running into into a NAD 2200PE with Polk Monitor 10a speakers. I would like to get a Parasound power amp but don't have the coin for a new A23+. What would people choose: a used A23 or new 2125? Both can be had for $600. Someone described the A23 as open and relaxed sounding, whereas the 2125 is dynamic and punchy and a little more up front. I like strong accurate bass and extended but soft highs. I don't like my midrange to be too forward, just balanced.

Monty12 likes this.
  22. pdxway

I have no experience with 2125. You should send Parasound an email and see if they can provide suggestions. They are typically quick to response to inquiries.

Rick58 and Dr. J. like this.
  23. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Dr. J, you might look at Safe and Sound, they are an Online Registered Parasound Dealer, who usually has some B-Stock gear at a good price, still with Warranty. I would opt for the A23

molinari, Bill Mac, Rick58 and 3 others like this.
  24. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I run a pair of 2125 v2 bridged. They are tight and control through my Rogers Monitors and my JBL 4312. I get a good soundstage and I wouldn’t call the highs anything more than they are supposed to be.

pdxway, Dr. J., mreeter and 1 other person like this.
  25. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Thanks for the responses. I demoed the 2125 at my local dealer's before the pandemic. I liked what I heard, but he sells mostly his in-house speakers which are comprised of Fostex full-range drivers: I found the combination a little shouty but certainly not shrill; what struck me most was it had a holographic presentation, at least more than what I'm used to--a good thing for sure. He said I wouldn't like the A23 because the bass was anemic. I don't think he's even carrying the A23+ at the moment.