Parasound amps appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pdxway, May 31, 2019.

1. louis_anthony

louis_anthony Vir Fidelis

Curious to know how you did that, is it as easy as just enabling the HT bypass?

I have a original HINT, no trouble at all, works really well for me. It just that one of these days I’d like to try another pre...just for curiosity

2. DanPDX

DanPDX Well-Known Member

Recently upgraded my Harman Kardon 85wpc 2-channel stereo integrated amp for a Parasound P6/A23+ combo. Very happy with the overall sound. Using them to power a pair of KEFs Q550. Not sure if this is the right thread to ask about this, but I have a question about the Phono Stage on the P6. I was using a Rega Aria v2 as my phono preamp before and I'm wondering if it still a better phono stage than the P6's.

I honestly can't hear a difference when I connect my Rega Planar 6 (w/ the Exact 2 MM cartridge) using the P6 or the Aria. Although, with the Aria I get a small hum when I turn the volume knob to 80+ (not the listening level that I use, of course). I think that's being caused by the Neo Power supply being too close. It's not noticeable when I'm listening to music.

Again, very satisfied with the Parasound Combo. Love the mid-range and the punch I'm getting with the new setup.

mreeter and pdxway like this.
  3. louis_anthony

I think the phono stage on my HINT is essentially the same as the one on your P6.

In my case, I prefer the Aria over the HINT with an Exact cart...not a huge difference, and certainly nothing wrong with the Parasound phono, its just something about the synergy across common Rega products that works really well for me.

DanPDX likes this.
  4. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Well my friend, I think you are the second person that had an issue, everyone else loved them and no one has said their volume could not be lowered enough. I'm not sure what to make of the volume comment, as you say they were continually too loud, however you said they only work well with low efficiency speakers, which would be the very opposite. With very low efficiency speakers, the tweeters could possibly be too loud, say 80-82 dB, however you said they would work well with low efficiency speakers.

With HIGH efficiency speakers, they would not be as loud, as your speakers would be louder, as they are more efficient, say 91-97 dB, so as I see it, the loudness issue would be just the opposite of what you are saying. They would be softer with high efficiency loudspeakers and louder with low efficiency loudspeakers, am I not correct on that? Because you did not like them, you are asking me to stop recommending them, when several people have thanked me for recommending them??

I suppose there is no winning on this.

5. PinkIsTheSky

PinkIsTheSky Old Blues Man

I'm glad I was convinced to buy the Parasound gear. I have an A21 and P6 powering my Polk LSiM 707s.

The sound never ceases to amaze me. I've had it for just over a year now, I've played all types of music through it, mainly sticking to CDs and Vinyl. With a properly mastered and produced record, I can occasionally get to a point of astonishment. Everything seems to line up perfectly and disappear, and I get this smile that makes every penny spent worth it.

The crazy thing is, I know the room I am in, isn't ideal for my system. I shudder to think how good it could sound in a properly designed room.

I was considering adding "Super Tweeters" and or a Subwoofer however.

Not that I need a really punchy bass, as the LSiM Towers do a fine job, but I would like to free up the speakers a little bit if that's possible.

Would anyone have recommendations for this? I certainly don't need anything super expensive as far as the sub goes. The super tweeters suggested to me by Litejazz were the Aperion Audio Planar-Ribbon Super Tweeter. Anybody have experience using these within this system?

Overall, I cannot envision buying any other new gear for my main system for a long time. My secondary system will remain a vintage set-up, and at this point I am pretty happy.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    pdxway, Rick58 and M.R.Collins like this.
  6. Litejazz53

I don't think it is possible to know more about what you are asking than I know, truly. I just purchased the LSiM 707s as well, and I had the Parasound A-21 and just jumped into the A-21+, Parasound is really remarkable equipment, as are the Polk LSiM 707 loudspeakers. I also have both the Aperion Super Tweeters, the Planar Magnetic and the Full Ribbon design. Either are GREAT additions to your speakers. Here is mine.

[​IMG]

I also have two powered subs, older Definitive Technology subs (shown in photo), each with 18" drivers. If I could do it all over again, I would purchase the more modest SVS 1000 or 2000 or possibly the 3000. All of these subs are smaller than mine, faster, take up less room and would be the perfect addition to my Polk LSiM 707 speakers. I would have dual subs. I believe the SVS 2000's with the beautiful gloss piano black finish would be the ticket!

Once you add the dual SVS subs and the super tweeters, wow, are you in for a surprise. I seem to remember being the one that recommended all of this equipment to you the first time. :righton:

7. PinkIsTheSky

PinkIsTheSky Old Blues Man

That you were, I am definitely gonna check out these subs, they look perfect for what I need.

Thanks again!

Litejazz53 and Rick58 like this.
  8. Litejazz53

My pleasure, and they ARE exactly what you need, FAST and accurate!

Rick58 and PinkIsTheSky like this.
  9. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Oops, sorry, my bad.
    My Harbeths Monitor 30s are in fact, specified at 85 dB.
    What I find interesting is that 85dB is typically perceived as moderately efficient, if not any where near "high efficiency."
    It seems odd to me these tweeters were so hot they couldn't be turned down closer to 85.
    Also, the speakers YOU are using , Polk LSiM 707 , are rated at 88.5 dB sensitivity.
    That's HOT.
    No wonder these tweets work with your rig.
    And please excuse my brain fart.
    Talking is very hard for me as I tend to be somewhat stupid.
    Sorry.

10. Litejazz53

I wanted to tell you, it would be very easy to attenuate these super tweeters further to quiet them down where you would be comfortable, Aperion could tell you the exact resistance needed for each volume step. I started with the Planar Magnetic original super tweeter and moved to the full ribbon design. They are not for every application, such as Magnepan loudspeakers and others, but for many, they are just fantastic, and they are fantastic with my LSiM 707's and 703's. Thanks for writing.:agree:

11. SoCalUser

SoCalUser Forum Resident

yes, just plug in any preamp, either rca or balanced. This is what I like about the Parasound integrated, lots of interconnectivity options. If I can elaborate on what I am experiencing, an analogy would be a good meal that needs a tad of salt to bring out all the flavors. I suspect it’s also the nature of my Maggies in my carpeted room that is exacerbating this.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    louis_anthony likes this.
  12. louis_anthony

Yes, it’s very versatile, thanks for the reply!

13. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Another round of Parasound evaluation in a couple of days. I compared the A23+ and JC5 stereo amp and on Wednesday will be auditioning the JC-1 monoblocks which are the store's demonstrator. These are 5 years old but will come with a warranty.

The A23+ has a simple voltage switch on the back for Asia/USA so when I move back to Canada I can change the voltage at the flip of the switch. All the upper models require an internal switch but can be done.

Anyone with experience on the JC-1 monoblocks in terms of reliability or other issues please chime in. A23+ The JC 1 monoblocks are priced about 3 times that of the A23+.

Today I auditioned the Bricasti M15 power amp which is in a much higher tax bracket and will compare it to the JC-1 and A23+.

bever70 and pdxway like this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Recently bought a Parasound 2125 V2 for a small bedroom system. Decided to stay within a budget and went with the Classic line over the Halo line. I bought the amp from Safe and Sound in Chicopee, MA. I ordered it a few weeks ago on a Friday and it arrived Saturday. I've bought from Safe and Sound before and they provide excellent service.

I sent an email to Parasound today with questions on a few of the 2125 V2s settings. About an hour later I got a missed call and voice mail from Safe and Sound. The voice mail was requesting I call back about my amp. When I called back Aaron said he wanted to answer my questions about the 2125 V2. I was a bit confused and said to Aaron sorry but I thought I emailed Parasound and not Safe and Sound. Aaron said that I had in fact emailed Parasound and that Phil from Parasound called and asked if he could call me.

So that's excellent service in my opinion in that Parasound directly called the dealer asking that they help me out. Also that Safe and Sound called me as promptly as they did. Excellent product from a company with great service!

The 2125 V2 sounds great connected to my Paraound 2100 and Salk Surround 1 speakers. I'm using an Oppo 105 as a source. Everything's dialed in just fine and the system as a whole sounds great :)!

33na3rd, bever70, molinari and 7 others like this.
  15. Vader1959

Vader1959 Forum Resident

I purchased the JC-1 & Cary Audio SLP-05 Pre-Amp about 8-9 years ago & have never looked back. I’m done chasing the upgrade trail, with the exception of NOS tubes & phono cartridges! Life is good!

Richard Austen, mreeter and pdxway like this.
  16. Richard Austen

I had a nice audition with the A23+ and JC-1 monoblocks and prior was JC5 and Bricasti 15. I preferred the sound of all three Parasound amplifiers to the Bricasti which runs well over $20k. Not that the Bricasti sounded poor or anything I just preferred the presentation in the bass and treble while the Bricasti sort of reminded me of Bryston.

The speakers were the ATC SCM50SE ($22,000/pair)
    Sensitivity: 85db@1watt@1 metre

The startling thing was how well the A23+ did here. The value for money proposition seemed to me to be one of the highest I have heard in SS and the interesting thing is that previously I wasn't much of a fan of Parasound. ATC can be an unrelenting speaker. The A23+ had absolutely no trouble from anything I put to it including loud Guns N' Roses. The treble didn't have a SS edge but it still had plenty of top end. The JC-1 sounds better but not otherworldly better so my initial impression is that John Curl has maintained a sonic signature and it's a good one - and then if you have absurdly difficult to drive speakers then you can maintain the SQ and get more power if needed.

I will think it over but I am leaning toward the A23+ due to the size/cost/sound for the dollar mix. If I were in my larger place in Canada - I would take the JC-1 but for a Hong Kong Flat, the A23+ is more than enough. And hey it can be used to drive rear speakers in H/T set-up down the line.

I enjoyed the ATC speakers a fair bit once again.

17. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Richard, in the past you have voiced strong opinions about (in your perception) the lack of musicality with ss amplification/low sensitivity speakers. What has brought on this change of heart? Could it be essentially a matter of finding a LE speaker that appeals to you, such as the ATC?

Who was it that wrote: it is only people who don't think, that never change their minds, or something to that effect?

18. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

excellent confirmation of the updated parasound halo line.
    my only very slight complaint is a softening of dynamic speed and micro explosiveness compared to other amps i have owned. overall they are keepers as far as solid state amplifiers but this is dependent on the preamp.
    did you get a chance to try different preamps?

19. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I'm considering replacing my integrated with a preamp next Spring. I only need two analog inputs, and don't need balanced. I only listen to vinyl and my Pono through my system. Budget up to $2,000. Not sure with that budget if there will be a significant improvement over the integrated.

20. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I would think for $2000 for only a preamp you would get significant improvements over using the integrated as a preamp. A lot of people seem to like shiit gear these days. Which would save you some money. Of course parasound has the P6 which might be a contender.

wow new? Must have sat on a back shelf Parasound Halo P7 7.1 Channel Preamplifier

this was >>$2000 when sold new. I can attest it sounds excellent. Has more inputs than you need but ...

I know you said you’re waiting until spring to upgrade but if you can do so now that P7 is a really nice preamp. Later you could upgrade to an A 23 amp (see Richard’s discussion here) and use the balanced connections.

total cost after selling your present amp would be probably less than $2000. If you got a refurbed a 23 it would be less than $2000 without selling anything.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    pdxway likes this.
  21. Richard Austen

Well, I usually say "generally" and I still hold to that. And this set up wasn't perfect. The sound system still struggled with some of my discs - female vocals sounding sibilant on Loreena McKennitt and the acoustic guitar on Jackson Browne Acoustic Vol 2 sounded strident. These are artists where you sort of want to sit back and have a nice drink and be moved emotionally. But due to the kind of presentation I was forced into concentration mode and listening to the sound over the music. Not surprised it's a recording speaker.

The system was better at high levels than low levels. It's a sit in the front of the chair experience over a more relaxing exerience so I would greatly prefer listening to Guns and Roses or large scale works than intimate music where it struggles far far more than the same recordings on my system.

That's ok - I am not looking for what I already have - I am looking for a second set-up that doesn't sound like my system and even to juxtapose it. The LE/SS is kind of the opposite end of the spectrum.

And it has it's own set of strengths - high impact, tight sound, with excellent imaging. So I like it in more head terms and left brain and hi-fi impressiveness terms while I like my system for the right brain note to note flow and sounding more "complete" For me both have their place.

The Parasound is attractively priced - you could buy two or even three of these for a pretty impressive home theater set-up. Unfortunately there are a few pieces of equipment I am waiting to review that are out already with other reviewers.

Part of the reason is that I do like some modestly efficient speakers like the Rogers LS5/9 where my 8 watt 2a3 will drive them but it's not really a "fair" review with an on paper middling match-up. My 70 watt Rotel RB 1050 is back in Canada and my Marantz receiver - well it's a receiver. So I wanted something with some heft in case I gate a mid to high 80s sensitive speaker.

When i would read reviews I always felt most of them were completely useless when the guy is running some esoteric $20k amp when most of the readership tunes out. It is far more likely that readers have auditioned or even own a $1500 amplifier like the Parasound than have ever heard my 2a3 amps. I think reviewers should try to have "mainstream" pieces of gear. It's one reason I kept the KEF LS-50 so that I could make comparisons back to the AX Two or LS-3/5as.

When I reviewed the $10k Puraudio One I was quite pleased with how good it was with my Audio Note M3 preamp. But again - not a known brand and quite expensive.

I am now using 1/5th the price M1 preamp and the price is in line with what most audiophiles can afford when mating it to an A23+

I am curious as to how it pairs. Even if it doesn't pair well - not a big deal as it can serve as my second system or front home theater.

G B Kuipers and Rick58 like this.
  22. Richard Austen

I can't remember what the preamp or the CD player was (I was partly focused on the election in the US - not American but it still has a major affect on Canada) but I did take a pic on Monday.

The CD player used was left with red LED and the preamp was the butt ugly chrome thing beside it to the right. The middle shelf is all Metronome.

[​IMG]

I am not expecting the world from a $1500 amplifier but I was impressed by it enough to want to take it home. However, I am still going to have a poke around at other things. So far it is the front runner.

pdxway likes this.
  23. Madness

Spring is when bonus money comes in, so unless a deal pops up I should not pass on, and get buy-in from the wife (we discuss every big purchase), I will wait. That P7 is just way overkill for what I need.

Rick58 likes this.
  24. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

The Schiit Freya+ seems very highly regarded, and would provide a balanced out if/when you wanted to upgrade amps. Plus some nice options for tube rolling etc..

Madness likes this.
  25. Madness

Yes I looked at that one, but wondered if I would be better off pairing my Parasound amp with a Parasound pre-amp.

Rick58 likes this.