Parasound amps appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pdxway, May 31, 2019.

1. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Interested as well. I used a schiit saga+ with my previous A23. Now I use a P5 with my A21. The P5 gives me more functionality (and a far better remote than the crappy schiit one) I haven't tried my Saga+ with the A21...maybe on a blue monday I will...

Monty12, terzinator and Rick58 like this.
  2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Sounds like a great test. Email Parasound, they’re great at responding. OOPS I see you did and yes was the answer. Cool !

Monty12 and terzinator like this.
  3. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

yeah, of course this'll make me keep an eye out for an A21+

:sigh:

Monty12 and Rick58 like this.
  4. terzinator

Well, kind of a bust.

Yes the HT Bypass works, but everything else is disabled, basically. I should have thought this through a bit more!

I not only have the HINT6 in the mix as the main amp, but I'm using its pre-outs to go into a Cambridge CXA80 integrated (which sends music to four sets of speakers via a Niles selector for music on the whole main floor).

Plus, because I can't use the HINT6's DAC if I'm using the unit as a Power Amp only, I also got a Black Ice tube DAC at the same time off US Audio Mart -- but it arrived DOA. Apparently this rube goldberg contraption wasn't meant to be. (Seller of the DAC was super cool, so we're sorting it all out.)

Anyway, I was able to listen to the Freya-Parasound-Harbeth combo for an album on the Thorens, and it sounded pretty good -- but it's just too much rigamarole for the payoff.

I'll keep the Freya+, as I know someday I'll find a use for it. It's just too cool. Maybe I'll buy another pair of Aegirs and put them back in my den. Or maybe I'll build me a pair of those Pass Amp Camp Amps.

The HINT6 sounds plenty good as an integrated (and its DAC is fine, too), so I just need to learn to enjoy the freakin music and not tinker for one minute.

Rick58, aunitedlemon and bever70 like this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm really not sure exactly what you were working at. But the last part of your post reminds me of the frame of mind I've been in recently. That is to just try and sit down and listen to the music and not my system. I've found it's more enjoyable that way :).

terzinator and Rick58 like this.
  6. terzinator

Neither am I. Didn't really need to muck, but it was like a compulsion purchase of peanut butter M&M's in the checkout at Menards

I used to have a Freya+ and I missed it after I sold it. Not sure why I sold it, but we do these things.

Saw it on US Audio Mart for a good price and just thought, hmmm... I wonder if I could demo it with the parasound as the amp. What would it sound like? yada yada.

But I really like the versatility the parasound offers. And it sounds great. Could have left it at that.

So, I'll hang on to the Freya for a while. Might find a use. Might not. Might move it on again.

Ahdunno.

bever70 likes this.
  7. gene9p

gene9p Active Member

I just picked up a Pass Labs Xp10. I no longer have an A21 but am thinking about getting another. I am using a PS audio stellar s300 and though it's great with my tube gear everything sounds so bright... extremely detailed.. but not at all what I was hoping for when I hooked up the Pass. Anyone here using a Pass and Parasound combo.

8. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Spoke to mr Tony at Parasound on email. So far he is not able to duplicate the problem. I re sent the summary of what the issue is with the popping inside the amp etc. he asked if it happens often and I told him that it does based on what I hear and explained from the original email. Maybe there is some ghosts in my electrical circuit breaker in my condo ? Lol. Hopefully they can duplicate it ..... Tony is great he is the top tech over there. At least I am getting some piece of mind in this. At the end of the day if it’s ok it’s ok. ;) hopefully that’s the case :)

pdxway and Matt Richardson like this.
  9. mr. faded glory

mr. faded glory Forum Resident

Something weird happened today. I have a P3 and an A23. I have them set up using the 12 volt trigger so that I only have to push the power button on the P3 to get them going. This morning when I powered them up the blue light on the A23 flickered for a moment before going back to the normal blue glow. This afternoon several hours later I went to turn it on again and the color was red for a moment this time before returning to the regular blue glow. Still sounds fine. Can anyone put my mind at ease?

MikeJedi likes this.
  10. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Being red for a instant is normal. FWIW. Then goes right to blue. My A52 does that normally.

mr. faded glory likes this.
  11. mr. faded glory

mr. faded glory Forum Resident

Thank you. That's what I wanted to hear. I've had them for years and never seen it before, and my brain always goes to worst case scenario first.

MikeJedi likes this.
  12. StriderTB

StriderTB Forum Resident

My local record shop took in a 6 month old A21+ in silver, picking it up some time this week. $1800 is a pretty good price for what's basically a brand new amp.

13. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Don't even think about it, pull your charge card out and proudly use it on the new model. The beauty of Parasound, they JUST DON'T fail, they are much better than the Eveready Bunny, Parasound just keeps going and going and going, until you die first, before the amp does!

Get that new Parasound on order today, don't delay, pull the trigger, join the family of Parasound users, we have nothing but success stories! :edthumbs:

Monty12 and MikeJedi like this.
  14. StriderTB

StriderTB Forum Resident

So glad to drag this beast home. I need to reorganize the shelves, but I'm glad it fits. Should have everything hooked up tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Catcher10, bever70, DPC and 7 others like this.
  15. StriderTB

StriderTB Forum Resident

Ok, all wired up and it's singing. :)

[​IMG]

16. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

“To avoid damage to the A 21 or other equipment and to reduce risk of fire, you must follow these guidelines:
    • Place the A 21 on a separate shelf that will adequately support its weight.
    • Keep it away from heat sources such as air ducts or radiators.
    • Avoid placing it on carpeting or another material that might obstruct airflow into the openings in the chassis bottom.
    • Leave at least 3” of space around both sides and 6” of space above the top. The bottom clearance can be a little less.”

drgn95, bever70, EHUDson and 3 others like this.
  17. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

The above is from the A 21 manual but I’m sure it’s the same in the new manual. I have less than 6 inches above mine, about 4 inches, and plenty of open space on the sides, but I’m afraid your installation may cause excessive heat buildup.

I think you’re OK with the first three bullet points but the fourth one has me concerned. I left the other ones in there just for completeness.

Sorry to post something negative right away. I have the A 21 and Silver 8 speakers, both are the predecessors to your equipment, and they do sound glorious together.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Carter DeVries, bever70 and StriderTB like this.
  18. StriderTB

StriderTB Forum Resident

No, I totally get it and appreciate the feedback. There's about 2 inches above the amp, which is definitely not ideal. I'm in the process of looking at dedicated racks and stands, I'll likely replace that cube shelf where my turntable and preamp sit with something purpose built for an amp like this. I'm not pushing it hard, consequences of living in an apartment, but I'm definitely aware that it's too cozy for that shelf.

avanti1960 and Rick58 like this.
  19. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Two inches is more than I thought, it may be OK (as you said at moderate volume) but for long term probably better to give it more space. Congrats on the new amp!

PS: Hate to think maybe the feet have been removed ... apparently there are ventilation holes/slots on the bottom? Not good to block those. It's a little ambiguous though, they talk about rack mounting but 'leaving 1/8" for the bottom screws' so maybe there aren't other openings.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Monty12 likes this.
  20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

congrats! i love my a21+
    re: installation, mine was similar and it got too warm when it was warmer in the house. this amp is class A for a majority of low to moderate volume listening which runs hotter than typical AB amps.
    definitely raise the shelf above it as high as possible, shift it to the right as much as possible to clear space on the left heat fins. then push it either far in or out to the limits of the feet, whichever gives the most overhang so that the most top surface possible has no shelf directly above it.
    see my pic post #418

bever70, Monty12 and Rick58 like this.
  21. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

FWIW I’ve kept both my A21 and A31 with about an inch of clearance for the last five years with no problem. Each unit never rises above moderate warmth even under load. I know it’s not ideal but I actually like it like this because it keeps dust out of the top vent holes, lol. I really think 90% of cooling is done via the side fins anyway.

22. Litejazz53

I noticed on some of the other posts, people are posting the urgency of moving your amplifier. I must agree 100%, you just do not have the breathing room the A-21+ needs, you could certainly have problems. It could be a fire risk if it overheats in that space at the very worst, or at the least, you will greatly shorten the life of that piece, that is far too tight. It has been suggested to have 3", I would recommend no less that 5" or more. Here is my arrangement. You have got to get some air in there, I hope you correct this, it looks fine, but it's not fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Monty12, Rick58 and jcn3 like this.
  23. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Just installed my new Parasound A21+ this weekend. Figured I'd give my little review of it here...

I was anticipating an improvement over my (awesome) 14-yr old A21, but was surprised at its extent.
    The clarity and depth have been improved quite a bit, with a sense of ease that I was not expecting. This is on top of an already great A21.

The A21+ setup is identical to my A21 config:
    Power: Power Cord (Luminous Audio Technology Mega Power Lynx)
    (Zero Surge in-line)
    IC: Balanced/XLR (Pangea Premier SE)
    Speaker Cable - Bi-Wire (Luminous Audio Technology Synchestra)
    Gain: Full
    Preamp: Schiit Freya+ (w/new Tung Sol)
    Speakers: Aurum Cantus V6F (4-ohm nominal / 88 db)

Listening to some of my personal demo/test material (e.g., Steely Dans, Dire Straits, Cat Stevens, Beatles Monos), I was particularly impressed with the A21+'s improvement in vocals (esp. double tracks and harmonies), but really everything has a better sense of space. Again, the A21 is really good.

Also, as I'm listening to much more Jazz (since implementing subs last summer), the Blue Note Tone Poets are coming alive even more.

I'm going to make an automobile analogy, and say going from the A21 to the A21+ is like going from an Audi A5 to an Audi S5 (with the JC5 likely being an RS5). The baseline platform is fantastic, but the additional touches add up.

I did not need a new stereo amp, as the A21 has served me extremely well and kept up with every change to my system with aplomb...I just had a hankering we all get for a new one. I was seriously considering the Schiit Aegir (Monos), as I really like my other Schiit components, but was very concerned with their capability to drive my (4-ohm) speakers in mono mode. I also surveyed the latest in amps in the A21+ price range, but ultimately nothing appealed to me as much as the A21+, and I knew it more than likely would be an improvement (vs. a lateral or even degradation). And it's roughly only $42/lb.

Not so fun side note: My back is in a shaky condition right now and I had to get this beast of an amp out of my car and up the stairs of my house. With the great help of my wife and this contraption below, the audio day was saved:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CXPYDHM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another trick: a heavy piece of cardboard as a slider is useful for moving beastly amplifers around rooms.

Below are a couple system images.
    I have pretty good ventilation on the bottom shelf of the main rack, with open sides and back and about 2-in. of clearance at the top. All main rack butcher block shelves float on vibration dampers, so there are gaps between the shelf and the structure that help dissipate heat. This configuration served me well with the A21 for 14-yrs, so I don't anticipate any issues with the A21+.

I would really like to keep my A21 for my A/V system, but I just don't have the space in that rack. Will likely put it up for sale here and hope it finds a good home.

I appreciate Parasound amps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Catcher10, 33na3rd, DPM and 9 others like this.
  24. Litejazz53

Those are really beautiful loudspeakers, take a pic with the fronts off and post please. Your system setup is so nice indeed, looks beautiful, and the dual subs, your system looks fantastic for sure! Hope you post that pic! :righton:

Monty12 and Rick58 like this.
  25. terzinator

well, that's what i did. Found a minty used pair on the USAM.

[​IMG]

33na3rd, DPM, Monty12 and 4 others like this.