Parasound amps appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pdxway, May 31, 2019.

1. n'joymusic

n'joymusic Forum Resident

Hey Audiofan1....
    I first heard this played on Altec A7 Voice of Theater powered by tube amp (wish I could find the link 0n you tube)
    was super impressed with the quality of playback and the recording...mind you it is from about 1957-1960 ish...

Wow could those engineers get it so right on!!! That with the recording limitations of the day...again wow..!!

Glad you enjoyed it...

My whole purpose in posting the video here on the Parasound appreciation thread was so that folks here could
    get a newer insight as to how their overall system performs..

Best wishes everyone

Audiofan1 likes this.
  2. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Here is a link for just such a comparison done by Audio Excellence of Canada a high end audio retailer in Toronto.

JC5 vs JC1+

Edit: Sorry you will have to manually scroll back to the start. For some reason on my computer this link takes you to near the end of this vid.

teag likes this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i think you mean the a21+.
    that video was a big reason why i bought the JC5 after owning the a21+. i then returned the JC5.
    to say that the JC5 makes the a21+ sound "broken" and comparing it to different cars is ridiculous. consider the source and profit margin of each amplifier and judge their opinions in that light.

Jim0830 and teag like this.
  4. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

I watched that video a while back, and had a similar reaction. Seemed like they were rather dismissive of the A21+, which I think is a very nice amp. Now, I haven’t heard the JC, but I would have thought it to be similar to A21+, but a bit more refined due to the better parts etc. Not so? Or just not sufficiently better to merit the significantly higher price?

5. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Oops my bad. Yes A21+ not JC1+ in what I meant.

avanti1960 likes this.
  6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

You returning the JC5 ultimately for the A21+ was a minor eye opener for me.... everything I'd read to date about the JC5 being the next step up over A21 level for years, it just temporarily jarred my sensibilities, I wasn't expecting that.

But that's why we play the game, we don't all end up in the same place. I always step back too and realize they're both good... and in the end appreciate your candor to offer what *you* liked, knowing that it would be a surprise to some and maybe go against their held beliefs too.

What's "right?" If you're happy... all else is noise (hopefully not mixed in with the music :))

timind likes this.
  7. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I'm loving my A21+, the overall refinement and details it translates is still amazing. Like many, I really find the low level listening now very enjoyable....but the 85+ dB levels are even more enjoyable. At my listening spot I rarely get over 90dB, about 10-11 ft away from speakers. If I were to think about going mono blocks, I would just get another A21+, but not thinking that way :shake::agree::shake::agree::shake: :laugh:. I need to focus on a different preamp, the HINT is working out really well but I can do better.

pdxway and Claude M like this.
  8. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

After owning it for a few weeks I'd buy another 21+ if I had the need for a second unit. It sounds fabulous.

pdxway, avanti1960 and Catcher10 like this.
  9. avanti1960

My big takeaway from using the JC5 for almost 500 hours was that it sounded "competent", very technically accomplished- I heard it doing everything right. The problem was that there were very few "wow factor" moments, which is what I listen for when evaluating anything new. Although it sounded transparent, the midrange was reluctant and did not have the bloom that I like.
    The a21+ has a character that I really like, plenty of wow moments and midrange that has perfect presence.

pdxway, Audiofan1, bgiliberti and 3 others like this.
  10. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

For the A21+ owners, would you mind sharing power cord or XLR cable recommendations? Just curious what you’ve found success with. I use the standard power cord now and Blue Jeans for the balanced connection to my pre. Thanks in advance.

11. jarrod2750

jarrod2750 Forum Resident

For XLR I use mogami cables purchased through worlds best cables via Amazon

12. chumlie1

chumlie1 Forum Resident

Big fan of Parasound products. I have a HCA1500a. 850 pre and phono pre. Will replace them with new when time comes.

Rick58 likes this.
  13. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Wireworld Oasis XLR between P5 and A23 now.

Rick58 and jmadad like this.
  14. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

I'm using Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 XLR between an Musical Fidelity Ms8 pre and Jc5 powercable PS Audio AC12 along with an HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse , direct to an 20amp 10awg dedicated line with Furutech GTX-D NCF outlet.

Rick58 and jmadad like this.
  15. avanti1960

stock power cable, i like van den hul hybrid XLR cables, currently using "the tide"

Audiofan1, Rick58 and jmadad like this.
  16. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Oops I have the A 21, IMHO still applies. Using Shunyata Venom (3? 15A version) into a RGPC 400. I do have the 21 dialed back to half gain, and never run it anywhere near full output.

TBH I never used the stock cord … but did add the RGPC 400 later. I had been running it into its own separate outlet. TBH I can’t say if it made a difference. But knowing it’s there is good enough for me. It did not seem to affect the sound for the worse in any case.

Was using Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro XLR IC between a P 7 and the A 21, then got a McIntosh C2300 tube pre. Amazing upgrade over the P 7, which itself is excellent.

Then got a Synergistic Research Foundation XLR IC with excellent results. The Foundation IC is all silver. Highly recommended.

PS: Hey! You’re the cat with the (new version) C22! Not that my opinion is gospel but … SR Foundation IC and now speaker cable made a nice uptick in sonics for me. Yeah … $1500 (total), ouch. But to me, worth it. I wanted to spend money while I’m still making it. :laugh:

PPS: I bought the IC for $600 I think, then a month later SR had a buy that, get a SR PC free … dang! Shoulda waited, and they wouldn’t send me a free one. But maybe look for similar specials from SR or other manufacturers. Don’t know if that’s a recurring thing.

PPPS: I used my old AP Oval 9 cables with the Lintons when new, then installed the SR Foundations. Better? I think so but not as dramatic as the IC upgrade. Thinking we discussed this in Chat, but wanted to get it out there for other interested parties.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    Audiofan1 and jmadad like this.
  17. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

thanks, my friend. You love spending my money! I'll get you to upgrade to the C22 yet - just wait!

Rick58 likes this.
  18. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Doesn’t anybody use stock power cables anymore?

19. hman

hman Forum Resident

:wave:

bgiliberti and Rick58 like this.
  20. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

I still do

bgiliberti and Rick58 like this.
  21. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Nah, the C2300 is it for me. … ??? LOL. I need the blue meters somewhere. Maybe a used MC252??? Then I could get the C 22.

TBH my PC upgrades haven’t been revelatory. I haven’t spent more than $150 for each of them but yeah that’s another $800 or so total.

Actually I think the Venom 3 on the P 7 preamp seemed to make a positive difference so I figured when I could I’d get similar ones all around.

Audiobliss@67, hman, jmadad and 2 others like this.
  22. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

Power cables can be one of the easiest to discern differences, start with the power amp first. :agree:

Audiobliss@67, n'joymusic and Tim 2 like this.
  23. avanti1960

I do because the two "upgrade" cables I tried made the amps sound worse.

bgiliberti, bever70, Helom and 2 others like this.
  24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

NO

25. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Not for 3 years now since I discovered they can make a difference in how good a piece of gear sounds.

Audiofan1 and n'joymusic like this.