Parasound Halo P 6 Preamplifier

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 56GoldTop, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's here, sort of (don't see it for sale online, yet).

Better DAC and phono stage (but still no stereo/mono switch). Maybe one day...

Model Halo P 6 « Parasound

2. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Thanks for sharing. It looks nice. I've really enjoyed the P5. This sounds nitpicky, but I really miss the volume display. The P3 had it, but the P5 doesn't. I'm glad the added it to the P6. I know it's all relative anyway, but it's a nice guide.

I'm not interested in upgrading at the moment. I have toyed with the idea of moving to a tube preamp, but am in no hurry right now.

3. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

Is the P6 replacing the P5?

4. Luxmancl38

Luxmancl38 Forum Resident

What's the price??

5. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

The price will be $2,995. The P5 is no longer shown on the Parasound website so I would call that a replacement.

6. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Wasn't the P5 like $1500, or am I mistaken? That's a huge price jump as a replacement if I'm remembering correctly.

7. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

The recent Audio Advisor (Summer #2 2018) shows the P5 listed as $1,095. If that $2,995 price is true than that is a huge jump. $1,900 if true.

8. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

That is wild. The price difference between the Hinto and the Hint 6 was only $500. The only real difference between the two upgrade paths is the DAC. For $3000, you could buy a P5 and a damn fine DAC and have basically the same preamp.

9. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Tariffs added to imports may have impacted the pricing.

10. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Very good point. I don’t know how Taiwan is impacted but if it’s made in China (heaven forbid) big impact.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Are you thinking of the Parasound Halo HINT 6 which is $2995?

Parasound Halo HINT 6 Integrated Power Amplifier-Audio Advisor

I can't see Parasound almost tripling the price of the P5. If the price for the P6 will actually be $2995 they won't sell many IMO. Who in their right mind would pay $2995 for the P6 when you can get the HINT 6 for the same price. I'd guess the price might be around $1500 if that.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  12. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Yea I think the A23 amp is $995 and the P5 preamp was $1095......The new P6 cannot be more than these two units.

13. dougotte

Re-reading the upgraded features over the P5, I realize that these are the only ones that I might benefit from:
    • Burr Brown analog resistor ladder volume control
    • Dimmable front panel volume displa
    • Improved Left/Right channel separation and balance tracking
    But, for someone moving to separates, or upgrading from a much lesser preamp, the P6 might be a good investment.

14. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

$1495 at Audio Adviser. Just called them to confirm. In stock on Friday.

Manimal likes this.
  15. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Sorry, my mistake. I e-mailed Parasound and yes, it will be $1495 and dealers will receive the preamp this week.

16. RND4mGuy

RND4mGuy Forum Resident

Would this be an upgrade from using a Oppo 205 as my pre-amp?

17. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Member

I really like the volume display but I dont think its worth it if someone already has a P5. Does it? I know it isn't just the display that is added.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pythonman likes this.
  18. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Burr Brown analog resistor ladder volume control

56GoldTop likes this.
  19. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Member

New Features (Changes from the P 5):
    • ESS Sabre32 DAC replaces the original Burr-Brown DAC
    • USB input is now capable of DSD & 384kHz/32-bit PCM (up from 96Khz/24-bit)
    • Burr-Brown analog resistor ladder volume control
    • Dimmable front panel volume display
    • Updated USB receiver is Plug & play with Win 10
    • An additional optical input (2 total)
    • Ball bearing supported solid aluminum volume knob
    • Programable default turn on volume setting
    • Favorite volume memory with remote control button
    • Increased phono stage gain for lower output cartridges
    • Improved channel separation and balance tracking
    • Updated cosmetics with subtle gold highlights
    I'm not at all tech savvy, but tried and did some reading on BB analog resistor ladder volume control. It has to do with a whole wider range in 0.5 db steps, right? Damn you parasound.. I just got my P5..

Pythonman likes this.
  20. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

I like the new improvements and updates. Not regretting paying $995 for my new P5 one bit however. To me there is nothing and I mean nothing “wrong”’with the P5. It could use more gain on the MM phono stage which would be more than enough of phono preamp for a lot of people. I’m planning to upgrade the phono stage but I have to tell you, the fully broken in P5 sounds freaking incredible playing records or CDs. The sensible updates that make the new Halo P6 are going to make new Parasound buyers very happy IMO.

Manimal and TheVinylAddict like this.
  21. RND4mGuy

RND4mGuy Forum Resident

The feature set of this preamp is incredible. I wonder why more don't offer this level of crossover/sub management. If I don't go tube pre, then this is it.

22. dougotte

Those are my feelings exactly. The P6 is offering more gain in the phono stage. I also like that it has a volume display. Thanks.

Pythonman likes this.
  23. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I have one of these on order. Really looking forward to hearing it. It'll be used along with the HT bypass so I can finally take my processor out of my stereo loop.

sound chaser likes this.
  24. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Love what I'm hearing through the P6. Not only a great analog preamp for my vinyl setup but the DAC is fantastic. I compared it to the Oppo 205's DAC most of the day yesterday and prefer the P6. It was very close though. The level coming out of the Oppo via balanced ICs was a fair amount louder, so I had to find the right volume level to do a fair comparison. What sold me on the P6's DAC was listening to Joe's Garage by Frank Zappa. After comparing the two DACs for just simple frequency response, this album set me straight. It was more 3D sounding through the P6. Even his silly Central Scruuuuutinizer bit sounded freakishly holographic. Through the Oppo, vocals are more crammed together. I know that's an over-used term but... An example is when Dale and Frank are doing their wet T-shirt bit, they are about 12" - 18" apart in my soundstage. With the Oppo, they're almost on top of each other (lucky Frank!). Just more separation through the P6. Not necessarily a larger soundstage, just more refined.

For vinyl, this thing is quiet! I have to literally crank it to 99 (wide open) to hear audible hiss/AC noise from my listening position. In fairness though, it's the first 2 channel unit I've integrated into my system. Maybe that has a lot to do with it? Everything is just a bit cleaner when comparing to the Krell I was using. But the best part is, I've gained a lot up top. Best way to describe it is when you're getting over a cold and your ears finally pop. Sure you can hear everything when they're plugged, you just miss some sound way up top. Once they open up, you think ahhh. Cymbals have more sizzle and there's more air around the room (vocals, instruments, etc).

It integrates well for my HT needs. The only thing is when using balanced outs, it has to remain powered up. But ah well, I kind of needed the 12v trigger for my 2ch amp anyway. I literally can't tell it's in the loop when listening to movies/shows in surround sound. It's a keeper for sure.

Sathish Chandran and Pythonman like this.
  25. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Great write up Cliff. Almost makes me want to trade in my P5 on the P6. The quality of sound for the price of admission is excellent. I spent another week using the P5s phono stage after I sent a malfunctioning outboard unit back for a replacement and once again was reminded why I’d questioned my own sanity for upgrading it in the first place lol.

Cliff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.