Parks Audio Puffin DSP Phono Pre

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, May 5, 2018.

1. Brando4905

Brando4905 Forum Resident

I placed a Puffin on my rack yesterday, thanks to you guys. :) I’ve been really happy with my Phonomena ii+, but was experiencing a tiny bit of emi or rf, really not sure, but periodically a higher frequency noise would be noticed through the tweeters during low volume passages. I’ve rid the phono end of my system from multiple issues, such as led dimmers, coffee makers, etc....and this all in a system on its own dedicated 20amp circuit into a Torus rm15 making my own power. So most certainly it’s somesort of EMI being picked up by VPI’s unshielded tonearm wiring. Not even heard by the wife, but it bugged the **** out of me.

I left the Puffin’s high pass and low pass filters set as per factory, 20hz-20khz. I’ve listened to several albums now and can’t detect the noise from my chair anymore. Woohooo! I believe I can thank the high pass filter for this improvement? Hopefully this is for real and not just a change in environment or weather that has kept the emi at bay and just a coincidence after hooking up the Puffin. I’ll know for sure with a few more days of play.

I can say, for sure, just like Todd said, for under a grand, the Puffin is definitely up to the task. I do think the Phonomena ii beats it maybe just a wee bit in the SQ department, but to be fair the Puffin is still brand spanking new.

I didn’t purchase it for the DSP, but I will definitely experiment with these features. There is a lot to like about the Puffin and I believe it will please many.

Oh, and thanks to Agitator for answering a few of my PM’s regarding the matter!

PS- if anyone read the Toneaudio review and are concerned about it “popping a wheelie” due to cables entering from the top, don’t be. Not sure what cables they had hooked up, but my Puffin sits as it should.

2. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

We have sent a rover to Mars, everyone has a communication device (pocket sized) that gives you almost instant access to the worlds wealth of knowledge, we have Alexa too!!!

Why cant we believe that newer phono amplification might be better now than in days of old when tubes ruled the air...I grow so tired of everyone ramblin' on about whether modern tech can be as good as older tube tech....thanks to all the naysayers, I'm much obliged for a pleasant surprise with the puffin....now the time, the time is now to order a puffin......

recstar24 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  3. honestabe316

Do you know of any way to shield the budgie (any tube pre) if it does sit too close to say a node 2 and a wifi signal extender that is plugged into the wall and has an ethernet connection? My set up is in a tight spot and moving my budgie at least 4 feet away might be a hassle...

4. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

No. I'd looked around for something that could do the job, but came up empty. A Faraday cage shields against EMF, but I dunno if it works for Wifi

5. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Cell phones and Alexa (don't use it) have nothing to do with a phono pre. I am surprised you actually listen to records when there are digital downloads etc available. Or perhaps its more fun to have Alexa listen to you.

6. honestabe316

I mean I could just buy longer interconnects and move it but I bought a set for the budgie (not paying attention to the 4 foot warning) that are only 2 feet....I could also probably just unplug the node 2 but that's a hassle....thanks for your input...

7. honestabe316

I was talking about how far we have come technologically and using them as examples, not promoting them. I'm an all tube guy as far my vinyl playback is concerned)....
    But I see no problem using tech that has improved to a point where it can give me or any user what they're looking for...
    I do not use Alexa, Cortana, Siri, etc....if they had a virtual assistant that used Schwarzenegger or Eastwood, or Chuck norris's voice I would be first in line though....

Madness likes this.
  8. honestabe316

I'm all for a small number of people getting into tubes...it leaves more NOS tubes for us tubers (not potato)

9. honestabe316

What exactly do you mean run it along with budgie? I want to make sure I understand you correctly...do you mean you could have your tt going through your budgie and say your cd player running through puffin?

10. Brando4905

Brando4905 Forum Resident

Yes, with the Puffin you can turn the RIAA off and run any source, such as a CD player to take advantage of the DSP if you wish. You can also do the same with your Budgie, (line out of Budgie into Puffin) if you want to tweak the sound of your tt, turning off the RIAA of course since your Budgie already handle those duties. An easy way to incorporate high and low pass filters if you need them or playing around with EQ.

11. honestabe316

Excellent info...thank you...now I just hope I can get a puffing oon the 26th....

Brando4905 likes this.
  12. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Just ordered the Puffin this morning and looking forward to hear what it can do.

CBackley, Bubbamike and ranch 22b like this.
  13. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

I received the Puffin on Friday 3/1, I've been impressed with the customer service from Day 1, email and support for some settings etc have been very nice bonus.

I have it connected to my Yamaha 667, with an Ortofon OM10 cartridge on the Project III Sgt Peppers Table, and so far so good. I think it's a keeper. Over the past two years, I've been messing around with a Pilot Tube Amp in my system, a modest DJ Art Phono and the Phono Setting on an 80's NEC-910 receiver I've had in and out of the system, but I think I can finally stop messing around and now just tweak the various settings on the Puffin.

It seems like a very nice unit so far!

14. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I received my Puffin a few days ago and have been putting it through the paces. This thing is a game changer for sure! Love being able to tweak the settings to dial in the sound. I also tried it with my CD player with the same excellent results. I only wish it had multiple inputs but I will really only use it for records so not a big deal.

15. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

FYI, for those of you not following Shannon on Facebook, he announced a new firmware with some bug fixes and new features last week or so. If you own one you may want to give it a spin, it's easy to upgrade.

Mike6565 likes this.
  16. honestabe316

So I ordered a Puffin....I want to pair it with my Budgie and see what kind of magic it can work.....

I can still run my system all analog by simply not using the Puffin.....or I can get a whole different Sound using them both....this satisfies both my need for all analog if I want and tweaking features if I want....win/win I'm hoping...well see tomorrow

Mike6565 likes this.
  17. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Keep us posted, still find the Puffin an intriguing 'thing'.

18. vs_jk

vs_jk Forum Resident

I was using an iFi iPhono (the first version) and really liked it. But then it died just last week. So, I'm looking at a replacement. I've been reading up about the Puffin and seems that it may just as good if not better sounding than the iFi. What I want to know from users and those may have heard both is, how much 3D dimensionality is there to the soundstage/imaging with the Puffin? Side to side/front to back? Or is it relatively flat? Also, can the air around instruments and recording venues (when present) be easily heard?

19. honestabe316

I will....I damaged the stylus on my Ortofon 2m black and am awaiting a replacement from analogue seduction over in the u.k. so I'll have to try it on my Technics sl-1600 for the initial trials...but I'll be able to get some observations I'm sure

20. honestabe316

Be here between 2:45-6:45...already on truck in my town.......I'm feeling like a kid waiting for his birthday gift from "Aunt Mabel" that was sent via the mail.

I have a few albums that sound very digital and I want to see if I can warm them up a bit...I Lso have a few flat, un-lively sounding albums that I would like to juice up a bit.

I'm kinda bummed that I wont be able to use my primary table with the ortofon 2m black but my technics with the Stanton 681EEE should suffice for my testing purposes....

bever70 likes this.
  21. honestabe316

My Puffin arrived. It's in my system now. First impression is this....even if you dont want to get into tweaking (you probably will), this piece is worth every penny. As I said before, I'm using my Technics SL-1600 with a Stanton 681eee cartridge in place of my Clearaudio with an ortofon 2m black. I played Supertramp "Famous last words" and with a bit of "tweaking was able to make this old table and cart truly perform better than I ever heard it perform. The vintage Stanton cart isnt pulling the detail that the 2m black does obviously but it just sounds damn good. I'll perform more tests a/b 'ing it with the budgie over the next few days....this seems like it is going to be enjoyable

Mike6565, ranch 22b, bever70 and 3 others like this.
  22. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I love that this digital gizmo might be just the right thing to deal with those digital sounding records...

honestabe316 likes this.
  23. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I recently picked up a Puffin to try out as I was having issue with my current Cart/Preamp combo. I wanted to try out a Gold Note PH-10, but no one offers a trial period. I figured if the Puffin would work, the PH-10 would be a higher end analog version. I was a bit apprehensive, with it being a digital over all analog. I had the mentality of “if this is better, why don’t I just sell all of my vinyl gear and get a DAC.” But, at this price and it having a trial period, i figured why not give it a shot.

My first day with it, I noticed it being much more quiet than my current amp, and it sounded great. There was a bit of grain, but I attributed it to being brand new. I left it on overnight, and did some listening the next day, no more grain. To my surprise, I am kind of loving this thing and am having a ton of fun with it. I like to play around with the different settings, and it does make a difference on my poorer sounding records. Any concerns I have had with the AD/DA conversion have put to rest, I can’t tell a difference. SQ wise, i have a hard time telling a difference between it and my much more expensive tube amp. I will have a hard time parting with it if I decide to.

My only gripes: the connections being on the top are a drawback and might be a dealbreaker. The filter options (tube and tape) do not make any perceivable difference. The only loading options are 200ohms or 47k, I have an MI cart which likes around 1k, 200 sounds rolled off and 47k has a bit of glare, sure you can EQ to help but it would be better to have a few options in between without applying EQ.

I am still intrigued by the Gold Note PH-10, has anyone done a comparison between the Puffin and the PH-10? Would it be worth the cost difference?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Mike6565, bever70 and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. honestabe316

A week with the Puffin now....I havent put my budgie back in the system yet....rather I've decided to dedicate it to my Technics sl-1600 Instead.

Shannon told me that he is working on some type of device that will allow switching between a budgie and puffin for folks who have both. I wont reveal the details as I'm sure that's his gig and he'd like to reveal it himself.
    He did not recommend running the budgie in line with the Puffin. You can do it with Puffin in CD mode but not suggested.

I'm sure due to the fact that he is running some tests to make switching between the two easier, that he has heard from some of us with both.

Loving the Puffin as I can make the slightest of adjustments and make my vinyl more pleasing to my ears. I made a new copy of "Hot Rocks" a tad less bright.....right now I've livened up a Beck, Bogert, and Appice lp. It's a hell of a little device and the makers of the $1000 + phono stages better take notice.

I got my Stevie Ray Vaugh "Texas Flood" One-Step Mfsl disc last week and I'm waiting for my 2m black stylus replacement to arrive by 4/1.
    I wont play the SRV on my older set up so when 4/1 comes and I can hook the Puffin up to my better set-up I'm sure the Puffin will reveal more of its magic.

Still hoping that after Shannon feels that the Puffin has run its course as the Budgie did (due to business constraints) that he will then decide to build a beast mm/mc tube phono pre to compete with the $2500 + gear...and his price will be $799 or $899.....a giant killer named the "Hawk" or "Albatross"

25. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Really want to get a Puffin ( i have a Budgie) but think that I need a Rega TT PSU to compliment my Planar 3 first. Then will jump on the Puffin train.

rockin_since_58 likes this.