Parks Audio Puffin DSP Phono Pre

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, May 5, 2018.

1. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

So you could be convinced that you need a Puffin. I had one but sold here on the forums and now have Jolida JD9 which I actually like better than the Puffin.

CBackley and bru87tr like this.
  2. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Whats the dimensions on this device ? I cant find it on site or manual.

3. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Just from memory, I would say about 8" x 4" x 2". For me it was a bit awkward with the connectors mounted on the top and not the side.

bru87tr likes this.
  4. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

8.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches

bru87tr likes this.
  5. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I seen it om Amazon, but its not always correct and actually the ship box. Thanks.

6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I have your Puffin, sir. It’s being treated with love and devotion. :)

DanBNash, Bill Why Man and bru87tr like this.
  7. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I wonder why he didnt mount them on the back side, right under where he mounted them. Cant imagine that would have been difficult.

8. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Not sure, his Budgie pre-amp was the same. I kinda like it.

Machiventa, Bill Why Man and bru87tr like this.
  9. The Puffin is a stellar phono preamp. It was a massive upgrade from my vintage McIntosh 5100’s preamp. And if you’re a tweaker, it’s a dream. You can adjust the Puffin in so many ways that you can maximize your turntable, your cart, your amp, and even each individual record. You can also adjust it to create a great synergy between your turntable and the rest of your system. I’m sure you can best it for much more money, but good luck beating it for the price range.

10. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Suspect it's to keep production costs down and price reasonable

bru87tr likes this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I recently had a lyra Delos retipped (LOMC) and I put it in my system that the Puffin is connected to, it sounds fantastic. I’m believe I’ve posted the option in this thread that if you’re spending $2,000 on a cart, you should be getting a better phono. I would now tell you that you should have no hesitation running this phono with a LOMC cart.

I can also report that I took the puffin and my 2m black to a buddies house who was interested in hearing both in his system and the best gain setting was very different on his system. I keep it at 40db on my system and he needed about 48db for it to sound it’s best. The flexibly, easy adjustments makes and size of the puffin makes it a great tool for trying new carts and equipment.

Bill Why Man and Kristofa like this.
  12. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

13. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

bru87tr likes this.
  14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Ok, well just got this in the door.

I have only spent 10 min with it. Set gain and left everything default.

Holy @#$& am I blown away by this little device. I put on some Pat Metheny, with the Lounge I had a bit of glaring midrange. Other than that I think this puffin torches the Lounge. Way more depth, detail and air. Warm sounding but not overly and a nice touch of midrange and HF.

To be honest I wasn’t expecting much compared to the lounge. A lot of people online say they are similar, not from my short experience. This is just the device I needed, just the sound I was looking for.

Not to elbow Lounge, but I have a static noise in the right channel and I needed to find something else. Looks like it will become a paper weight as no one wants it with existing issues. I like the sound of the Lounge, but not with the issue it has.

I brought it over a fellow forum members house, same issue. Yet Lounge said nothing is wrong with it.

Oh well, now I move on to the puffin. Just a shame the Lounge is a paper weight now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    DavidS, Kray, Bill Why Man and 2 others like this.
  15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I really feel weird changing the sound of my vinyl. But man the more you tweak, you can really get the most out of it.

This device not only sounds great it looks cool too. I like the active readings on the display, cool factor alert. :)

The midrange is really great. Smooth.

Kray and bajaed like this.
  16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

BTW: For those who may not like the way the cables come out the top. Those 90 degree adapters work perfect and I detect no difference in sound and not a bit of noise.

I asked Shannon before I bought them and he said they will be just fine.

DanBNash, bloodlemons and bajaed like this.
  17. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

Thinking about getting a puffin myself- I’d be using it with a Hana sl cart and a bob’s devices sky20 SUT- anyone have experience with this combo and have suggestions for settings on the puffin?
    The sut makes things a little more complicated for loading so I always like to see how other people them up!

18. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm guessing that it might have been more work to mount them that way instead of just being able to solder them straight to the main PC board.

19. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

That’s what Shannon said.

The 90 degree adapters fixed that issue for me. Perfect solution!

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

I don't see why you need those adapters at all. No biggie if the wires are plugged without them. The struggle is always to get as less junctions as possible. Here you add one for no reason other than ocd.

bru87tr and bever70 like this.
  21. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Yup.

22. Curious if anyone is using their Puffin in a setup like this: Using either the DIY or factory optical SPDIF output on the Puffin to an external DAC? If so, what DACs work great with the Puffin?

23. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

Until my back-ordered TT arrives I'm using my Puffin in my digital chain. Source is a Squeeze box into an older MHDT DAC into the Puffin into my amp.

My feedback at this stage is that the "tilt” and "air" EQ functions are just too much fun.

Once the TT arrives, I'm hoping to use the Puffin's native digital out into my PC to rip some vinyl.

24. Thanks, I just ordered a Puffin (w/o SPDIF out), can't wait to hear it!

25. Upon looking at this further, it may not be an optimal idea. The SPDIF coming out of the Puffin, at least DIY, haven't verified with the factory SPDIF version, is the output is 24/48 due to the clock chip. But internally, the DSP and DAC work at 24/96, and it's a good Burr Brown DAC used. So the benefit of digital out on this seems geared for for needle drops than all around listening with a 3rd party DAC, though that seems like it could be tried.