Parks Audio Puffin DSP Phono Pre

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, May 5, 2018.

1. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I really think that the issue I had was somewhat unique to my particular equipment and device placement. It shouldn’t deter anyone from purchasing a Puffin.

GKH likes this.
  2. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Great news, indeed!! :righton:

3. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Does this “Magic” mode cover up non-fill too?

4. ragwo

ragwo Well-Known Member

Firmware 1.21 is released
    Release note:
    "V1.21 Changes (8/3/2020):

• Bug fix for digital output SPDIF (analog users unaffected). Memory alignment issue dropped 25% of Magic corrections.

Digging around on the SPDIF code this past week I found a memory alignment issue occurs with the Magic function. Basically the two functions are offset by 25% in memory and the end result is that 25% of the Magic corrections don't get directed to the SPDIF port. With the update, SPDIF users will get improved Magic performance. So this is a highly recommended upgrade for all SPDIF users currently using V1.20 or earlier. Regular analog Puffin users shouldn't bother with this update."
      I'll update tomorrow, looking forward to better magic performance!
    http://www.parksaudiollc.com/firmware.html

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    SteelyNJ and Kray like this.
  5. yngrshr

yngrshr Active Member

[​IMG]

Have the Puffin running into a new Consonance a100 II. This combo sounds pretty incredible so far. Minimal tinkering done on the Puffin other than my initial changes (adding Magic, etc.). The Consonance seems to be absolutely absurd value for the sound it's providing . . .

[​IMG]

And then going out of a new set of Def Tech Demand D9 bookshelf speakers. Best Buy had these open box and I jumped on them. Really loving the sound so far.

I think that the Puffin is providing the most out of all the equipment after the turntable, though. You'd never guess that there was a DSP phono stage on this set-up. The Puffin just hangs out in the back doing its thing. I just have to reach under and turn it on when needed.

GKH, Bill Why Man, CBackley and 4 others like this.
  6. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Nice photos! I had to look up your amplifier. That's a new brand to me. But; I'm quite sure there lots of brands I've not heard of.
    So; you're using your puffin as a phono preamp only. Nice report! :righton:
    I've decided if I buy the Puffin it will reside on the top shelf alongside my PolyTable and the motor drive. Placing it on any of the lower shelves would pretty much prevent seeing the display unless I were to tilt it forward by lifting the back. :rolleyes: And, laying the Puffin on its side facing out ain't happening! So; up on top it will be! :D

..... Each post, I think, is bringing me that much closer to a Puffin!
    I've already got a set of the AudioQuest right angle RCA adapters (AudioQuest RCA 90) in the checkout lane @ Crutchfield. :cheers:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Bill Why Man and SteelyNJ like this.
  7. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

You might be approaching the record for the slowest trigger pull in the all-time history of purchase decisions!

8. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Quite possibly! I do like to research before buying,,,, just about everything! :agree:

CBackley and SteelyNJ like this.
  9. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Me, too! :righton:

GKH likes this.
  10. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I'm a real mess when I spot new IPA's at the store!!! Lol!:cheers::help::cheers:

PineBark, Phil Thien, bajaed and 2 others like this.
  11. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I stand there for 10 minutes reading beer reviews on my phone.

12. jonasbegood

jonasbegood Forum Resident

Yes, you can have the Puffin modified with a digital out.

CBackley and GKH like this.
  13. GKH

GKH Senior Member

For several years, I co-hosted, "Brew Line" on AM790 - Memphis. An hour radio show all about craft beer, the Big 3, and many more from across the pond. We featured interviews from breweries around the country including Sierra Nevada, Rogue, Boulevard, New Belgium, Bell's, Full Sail, Stone, Dogfish Head, etc,,, etc,,,.

...... I thought about the Digital Out option with the Puffin. But; I don't think it's something I would use.

bajaed likes this.
  14. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

It was a pass for me. No need. Besides, it can always be modded (if that’s even a word).

GKH likes this.
  15. ragwo

ragwo Well-Known Member

I've updated the firmware to 1.21 and can confirm that the Magic function is better. My reference pop and crackle record is quieter. Thanks Mr. Parks!

Bill Why Man, GKH and CBackley like this.
  16. CBackley

Does Magic take out non-fill?

17. ragwo

ragwo Well-Known Member

Sorry, English is not my native language, what's non-fill?

18. CBackley

The loud paper-ripping noise that you can find on some LPs. It’s caused by removing the pressed records too quickly so there are spots in the grooves that aren’t filled completely. It’s easily my least favorite vinyl defect.

ragwo likes this.
  19. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I wonder if this is US specific. Never heard such a defect on (my) Eu pressings ?

20. CBackley

It’s not.

21. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Ok, I must be very lucky then with over 2000lp's.

22. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I don't know for sure, but I tend to think not. Maybe very very brief non-fill, but it's hard to suppress something that isn't limited to a very brief instant of time. I have one LP I can think of (Dylan's RSD test pressing) with one or two instances of non-fill that are pretty brief. I'll try that out later today and report back.

CBackley likes this.
  23. CBackley

Thanks! I have that same release. Two copies riddled with non-fill (pressed in Europe, I believe). I’ll test it too at some point.

captouch likes this.
  24. I’ve uploaded the firmware, as well. Shannon quickly sent me the needed hex wrench. The Magic has worked well, so far as I can tell. I’m going to run it on the last two songs of the first side of Dylan’s Travelin’ Thru tonight. That’s always been neglible spot on an otherwise stellar record.

25. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Just tried Magic on the Dylan non-fill. No effect. It's generally worked very well for me on clicks/pops, but there's a limit to what it can do.

Wondering how the much more expensive, dedicated-purpose Sugarcube deals with non-fill.

CBackley and SteelyNJ like this.