SH Spotlight PART DEUX: Recording and mastering questions asked and (hopefully) answered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I dislike HDCD discs because they dont't sound right without the decoding.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

In this case, Stu remembers incorrectly. BLUE MOON was recorded on 1/2" three-track tape on an Ampex 300-3. The mono version was recorded on an Ampex 351-1. Big studios almost ALWAYS did this after around 1958 no matter what they were recording.

"Early In The Morning" by BUDDY HOLLY was recorded for Decca during a time that they were recording in stereo (1/2") and mono at the same time but the Buddy Holly song was not deemed important enough to "cover" with a binaural version. If it had been about 6 months later they would have done it.

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Grant,

In your opinion! :)

Take care,
    Jeffrey

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Do a comparison.

5. Steve Hoffman

VEER THIS OFF TO ANOTHER THREAD, PLEASE.

Thanks. :)

6. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Thank you for your answer, good sirrah!!!

Would they have miked it differently as they did with the Gleason Velvet Brass or was it just a matter of the same mikes but with mono going one way and stereo going another?

7. Steve Hoffman

No, most studios by 1959 had figured out how to do a split feed. Same recording console being fed to two machines, one mono, one three-track. (In some cases two mono machines and one three-track or the other way around). United/Western always had two three-track machines running and one mono machine by 1961.

8. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Only me again,

Steve I've been listening to the Audio Fidelity Young Mystic Bob Marley SACD today. Very nice sounding disc, considering the nature of the recordings.

I read you had twin track masters for the stereo tracks, good choice to centre the vocals, BTW.

Why did you choose to mix the stereo tracks with the music on the left, then the right alternately. Was it to even out wear and tear on your equipment/ears?

The other thing is why did you choose to mute the vocal track during the intro's, there is some nice reverb/sound leakage on the vocal track which fills out the sound nicely.
    Is there some unwanted sounds on the vocal track during the intro's, or was it to reduce the level of hiss, or has it always been done that way (authenticity).

cheers
    JJ

9. Steve Hoffman

Just to give some variation in the stereo.

Too much hiss in the vocal tracks to just leave it up; very distracting.

10. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Thank you again for taking the time. Your answers are much appreciated.

11. Steve Hoffman

Sure, no problem. I love talking about this old stuff.

Attached Files:

12. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Thanks, I thought that might be why. I generally don't like it when mastering engineers do this, like on the intro to I Am the Walrus on the stereo MMT disc from the ep set. However, the Marley tapes do have loads more hiss than that, so I can easily understand your choice here.

There is one other little thing about that disc, can I pm you about it?

Regards
    JJ

13. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Steve,
    The way the drums sound on the MCA CD of "Damn the Torpedoes" is very different from the MFSL CD. On the MFSL, the drums are "big and full" and on the MCA they are sort of "punchy". How is the sound changed? Is it just EQ or something else?

Evan

14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Steve -
    Wine tasters have those little crackers that they munch on to neutralize their palate between wines. Do you have to do something similar aurally when you are researching tapes and you can't trust the notes on the tape box to determine which is the master?

15. Steve Hoffman

The MCA was mastered with the EQ'd production LP cutting master and the MFSL was mastered with the actual master tape. That's the difference.

16. Steve Hoffman

Just use my ears, look for splices, etc. that give clues.. Oh, and walk around outside after 1/2 hour of serious listening.

17. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Well, I knew that they used a different tape. You have mentioned it before. I meant the actual change in the sound of the drums when the make the LP cutting master. They do that with just EQ? Nothing else? The reason I ask, I have noticed other CDs with the same sort of difference in the drums. I assume that it can be done when mastering a CD from the master tape (not sure why one would want to, though).

18. Steve Hoffman

Mastering changes the sound from one type to another. I don't know what else to say really. Every mastering engineer hears instruments (and what they feel they should sound like) differently. If the artist agrees, well, there you have it.

19. Darles Chickens

Darles Chickens New Member

Steve: what is your opinion about Direct Metal Mastering? What advantages or disadvantages do you see in it compared to lacquer mastering?

20. Steve Hoffman

21. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Grounded Space Cadet

I love that Universal Audio Modular Vacuum Tube Recording Console. Hummina-hummina.

22. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I'll help and point out now that you also dislike half-speed mastering and dbx encoded LPs. :thumbsup: :)

23. Steve Hoffman

Dislike is too strong a word. I just feel that it's a lot of bother for not much reward. Stan Ricker would of course disagree with me about 1/2 speed mastering. Probably (although we've never really yakked about it) Stan thinks that the more linear cutting potential of (let's say) a trumpet at a slower speed is worth the sacrifice of the lower mids and bass turning to "wonk". On some music maybe it could be.

24. Steve Hoffman

Yes. The neat thing is if you are so inclined and have enough money, you can still build one from Universal Audio:

http://www.uaudio.com/products/analog/index.html

25. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I had a client, Paul Ratajczak, who had a UREI tube console when I started with him in 1979. In fact, the first thing I did for him was to remove it and put in a Soundcraft board. That one sounded terrible. I had no say in it's selection and a few months later convinced him to get an Amek M3000. That one sounded wonderful. That UREI was sweet but it generated so much heat that it was uncomfortable to be in the same room as it.

I ultimately hooked him up with Neil Sinclair (Theta) who bought it. I have no idea what he did with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.