Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй. Thread Starter

This is a somewhat interesting article, mainly from a philosophical point of view and ultimately it tells more about the author than the music but I didn't feel I wasted my time reading it and there are some amusing parts that I think cut close to the truth, for example the point about the sense of one's mortality and what this has to do with collecting music.
    I don't make the same distinction between CDs and vinyl that he does.
    Although I don't see myself getting rid of my collection, or even a significant part of it, I can understand the cathartic part of that.
    Collection or clutter? Parting with your CDs can be daunting but liberating

DavidD, ronbow, deredordica and 12 others like this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It probably is, but I'm sick of reading that getting rid of a music collection because of the format is a good thing to do. Personally I find playing them and looking through my collection cathartic. Each to their own and all that...

80steen, Nightfly68, Zack and 122 others like this.
  3. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I read the article just now. I spent part of this morning cataloging my CD collection, as I had fallen woefully behind on that front. Seeing this pop up after spending a few hours lovingly gazing upon and organizing my own CDs...

I disagree with his thesis, of course. And who says CDs don't have the same artifact nostalgia as records do? They do if that's what you grew up with. And I never paid $18.99 for a CD in my life. As with any collection, we keep them because they hold value to us on some psychological level. I'm not nor will I ever be a minimalist and I think living in one of those tiny homes looks like a nightmare. I like to have my stuff about. It makes me feel happy to have my music.

Also: on what planet has Pitchfork ever had an overly generous rating system?? If anything, they are famous for having the exact opposite! :laugh:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    80steen, wilejoe, laf848 and 64 others like this.
  4. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

Thanks! Excellent article!

Adam9 likes this.
  5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yup. To each their own. I always play my digital files, but like to keep the vinyl and CDs around. Security blanket, I guess.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I love your way of thinking. I can't stand minimalism. Music is not just 'stuff'. Clearing out space to fill it with nothing just seems absurd to me.

7. Grant

When did you start buying CDs? I remember a time when the selling price was about $18 back in the mid-80s. I started buying them in 1984.

You are right about CDs being just as nostalgic as a vinyl record or even a cassette tape. I still have a few of my old prerecorded cassettes around for nostalgic reasons. I'm looking at one right now. It's fun to look back on your high school days and reminisce.

8. Grant

Yeah, I want my living space to feel "lived-in", comfortable. But not cluttered.

ggjjr and Man at C&A like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I honestly don't care at all what people chose to do, it's all good. What I don't like is dicks like this writer foisting his opinion on people like it's fact. He's an irrelevance. I don't see loads written about people proudly keeping their collections. It's always dog-crap about 'de-cluttering' or some other modern pretentious phrase.

10. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

This article could have been about anything that people collect.

11. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I'm tired of articles telling people what to do, honestly

Vincent3, Zack, dalem5467 and 49 others like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's what I want. My collection isn't in my living room. A small part in the bedroom. It's almost all in a separate room. I'll have to post some photos sometime. I love my music room.

13. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

"I was now without anything by artists whose names began with the letters E through H, and had no affordable way to replace them."

He obviously wasn't a Deadhead. :laugh:

mrogers, ronbow, Woodville and 10 others like this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

He obviously is a Dickhead.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

TV programmes are even more nauseating.

homeslice, Dave, JoeF. and 3 others like this.
  16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Not a great article. I too paid upwards of £15 for certain albums in the 90s. When I started buying CDs big time in the 90s, they were all the ones that are worthless now. Its only the 80s first prints that have any value really. But I still play them 90's CDs.

DTK, Eric_Generic and Man at C&A like this.
  17. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

I hate that article so much that I’m not even gonna read it.

18. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I don't trust anyone who doesn't have some kind of collection. Minimalists are like atheists and vegans: they will always talk more about their lifestyle than anyone really cares to hear.

19. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

It’s 1994.

I’m going down to HMV to buy the new Oasis cd. Just saw them on The Chart Show on Saturday morning.

Now it’s 2018.

I have a subscription to a streaming service and it make suggestions of what I should listen to based on an algorithm.

Progress and technology don’t necessarily make an experience better and convenience isn’t necessarily an advantage of progress and technology.

St. Troy, tmtomh, snowdog66 and 12 others like this.
  20. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

Thanks for posting this. I have decided to reduce my really massive collection. Another perspective helps.

tmtomh, Rodz42 and timind like this.
  21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I can't really see why anyone would
    part with their CDs after having spent
    their money purchasing them, but for
    a couple of reasons. The first is hearing
    loss. Sadly, it happens that a relatively
    small fraction of the population are sudd-
    enly, or gradually, faced with irremediable
    loss of auditory function. As a music lover
    the thought of such a fate is profoundly

saddening to me. If it ever happens to me,
    I know that Beethoven overcame the chal-
    lenge and made-do with the music he heard
    in that
    amazing skull of his, and so would I.
    God forbid it happening to anyone.
    The second reason I can think of is having
    bought more music
    on compact disc than is
    possible to enjoy in a lifetime ~ this assumes
    the precarious conclusion that there are CDs
    one will never again wish to enjoy,, as if anyone
    could know such a thing with
    any degree of
    certainty. I envy the person who has so many
    of these tiny discs that space actually becomes
    a problem. I guess if one were to downsize
    from a small studio flat into a living space no
    larger than a walk-in closet, and from there
    somehow reasonably ascertain
    that they will
    never again be able to afford a small studio
    with five inches of clear space along one wall,

then one might have to say farewell to their
    substantial investment.

22. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

The article writer needs a good slap :agree:.....but then I live in England and the houses are way smaller than in Canada.
    Those CD's that dont sell in charity shops go to landfill. Ones that I like I buy. I am lucky enough to have one bedroom as an office/library space so have a great library of CD's and vinyl.
    CD's are incredibly environmentally friendly and have potential to last hundreds if not beyond a 1000 years if stored in the right conditions.
    Listening to a Mozart CD on the drive home tonight from my parents house with the sun blazing across the Somerset fields, I feel blessed to be living now.
    I don't have time for the nihilism dressed as generosity misguidance that is presented in the article.

23. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Did the author at least keep the digital files?

Grant likes this.
  24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That's a whole lotta stereotyping in one small paragraph.

Inpressive

Spazaru, costanza69, tmtomh and 12 others like this.
  25. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Just as the 90s was a fantastic time to be collecting vinyl as people were ditching entire collections and practically giving them away, now is a similarly great time to be collecting CDs. I love owning music in physical formats, it makes me feel more connected to the music in a way.

Also, I've had enough hard drives fail and SD cards become corrupt, that I will never trust my collection to such a format.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.