Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

The problem with your argument,if indeed you are trying to formulate some kind of arguement,is that legally you are completely and utterly wrong.All the artists you mention are well aware that second-hand sales of hard copies of their works are completely legal.

Don't you think that some or all of the people in these bands you mention have bought second hand records or CD s at some point since they made it big?

Lost In The Flood and Grant like this.
  2. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Making millions from streaming revenue is an outlier. It doesn't take too long to search social media and find long time artists with decades of recording history posting images of their $10 checks from Spotify.

Sajomo, no.nine, Grant and 2 others like this.
  3. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Agreed, but we're talking about money here and the music business has always been about exposing a song and a group to a large audience via a free delivery system in the hopes that they'd pay for it. Used to be AM radio and $0.29 cent records. Then it was FM radio and $15 CD's. Then it was Satellite radio and $0.99 cent downloads. Now it is YouTube and $10 a month Streaming services.

Quality is important, of course. But the game is making money and the point is that artists are not being treated any less fairly today than they were in decades past. Consumers, on the other hand, have never had it better. If you used to buy 12 CD's a year for $180 you can now buy a streaming subscription and get millions of albums for $120 a year. Not kidding. Millions.

4. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

i guess? my understanding is that Bose is overpriced and you pay for the name and that nobody who cares about sound quality should get noise cancelling headphones. it's open air all the way, right? i don't think i'd want to listen to my music on any of those things you listed except for the 1990 Marantz rack system.

Grant and mark winstanley like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Perhaps, at the moment. Again I point you towards the cable tv example. Back everyone in a corner and then raise the price (a lot). That's how business works.
    The artists are certainly not being fairly paid via streaming, and that makes your second hand market comments sort of redundant

6. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I hear that streaming is really helping the Mozart estate.....:D
    On a different note, just got back from my local HMV and they have expanded the vinyl section considerably.

7. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

That's just not true. Artists are making less money from streaming than they did from the height of physical media sales.

Also, one could argue that artists were never treated fairly.

8. schnitzerphilip

Those shows exist because of the streaming networks. No Amazon Prime, no Cobra Kai. No Netflix, no House Of Cards.

Without Spotify or Apple Music, half of today's modern artists wouldn't exist because the old physical model never supported such a vast array of performers. Justin Beber only happened because of YouTube. Carrie Underwood only happened because of American Idol. It's 2019 dude.

9. mark winstanley

sadly artists have always been grist for the mill.

10. schnitzerphilip

I like Used CD's. I own hundreds of them.

What I don't like are people who hate on Streaming because it "rips off artists" out of one side of their mouths and then proclaim the virtues of their Used CD collections which have never given a dime to the artists.

So....if you care about the financial well being of your favorite artists, support Used CD's and support Streaming. And if you hate Streaming, hate Used CD's too.

11. schnitzerphilip

That isn't the fault of Streaming. That's the fault of an artist with a really bad manager completely lacking an understanding of modern audiences and lacking technical vision.

12. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I cull my CDs on occasion based on if I'd ever want to listen to them again. I make a little money and buy some more, usually new, sometimes used. I've also got my vinyl up and easy to play so I'm enjoying that too. Buying less vinyl than CDs but still acquiring some.

tineardrum, Pop_Zeus and Eric_Generic like this.
  13. mark winstanley

not true. Shows have been made for tv since the fifties.

If Beiber happened because of youtube it should be shut down as a public nuisance.

American Idol is a tv show and has not very much to do with streaming music stations. Moving the stage doesn't change the problems that streaming has and will cause.

Most folks are streaming because it is virtually free. It is not because of some grand want to feed the artist. Streaming puts music directly in the hands of the big corporations again. That is not where people who care about music need it to be.

Taxman, no.nine and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Neither did sales or chart positions though.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't want millions of albums! I totally understand the popularity of streaming, but there's a lot to be said for having a well put together collection that reflects what I'm into and nothing else. I'm sure like many here, I have thousands of albums and don't find enough hours in the day to play them regularly enough. There's nothing appealing to me about adding a lot more choice to the amount I already have. I only listen to my music at home too, so the portability / space advantages don't interest me. I totally see the appeal though, most people don't listen to music the same way I do these days, which is absolutely fine. Unless they're telling me to get rid of CDs!

16. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

In 2019 if you really want to financially support an artist you'd be better off buying a concert ticket, an item of merch at the show or from their website, or maybe even just sending them some money via PayPal.

17. schnitzerphilip

You almost rattled off every forum cliché ever created. That's hard to do. Kudos.

Here in modern times where the horse and buggy is no longer a valid form of transportation and 'listening rooms' have been converted to home offices, we understand that modern content technology sounds terrific on modern hardware technology. If you're never going to give a new pair of noise reducing digital headphones or internet connected speakers a chance, there's no point in continuing the conversation.

18. mark winstanley

yea it is the supermarket aisle mentality of seven hundred flavours of toothpaste and a twenty minute decision, rather than "oh here's some toothpaste"
    I have been told it isn't true, and it may well not be, but most people I have watched streaming songs listen to a bout 30-45 seconds and skip to the next.
    I am probably more like you where I will sit for 30-60 minutes and digest an album.... apparently we're dinosaurs lol

19. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Nope. By and large streaming contracts are handled by the record labels, not individual band managers. Even if the labels make money from it they generally don't pass it along. Again, anyone who does make money from streaming is a rarity.

Sajomo, no.nine and Eric_Generic like this.
  20. schnitzerphilip

The thing is, Cable TV didn't really help anyone because it never put every movie and every TV show ever made in one place for one flat fee. That's what Streaming audio services like Spotify and Apple Music do, so it's really not a good comparison.

And the Streaming services are bloodthristy for subscribers. If one raised their prices another would lower theirs as its a cheap way to grow their userbase markedly. Unlike HBO and Showtime, Spotify and Pandora aren't "bundled" on a single "network" so it's not analogous.

21. tcj

tcj Senior Member

It's a decent article and I get why some are upset by it, because it kind of does make it sound like the sensible thing is to shed things that can easily be replaced by streaming, but most of all I think it's just this guy's way of saying he's lost interest in the physical aspect of music (he keeps vinyl now, but give him a few years and the vinyl will be out the door too, guaranteed.) And if you feel that way, it IS good to get rid of it. Keeping stuff around you don't care about is pointless. I let go of a huge number of CDs over the years for exactly that reason. Have I regretted some of those decisions? Of course - unless you are incredibly pragmatic about the process, it's likely that some stuff you should keep gets swept up too. Luckily I've found I can replace most of those pretty easily, even if it ultimately means spending a bit more to get them back. But how often has that happened? Not much, surprisingly. I have noticed I go through phases where I feel like I absolutely have to have a physical copy of this or that and it burns me up that I don't. The thing is, often when I do finally get whatever that is, it feels hollow, and it often just winds up in a pile that never seems to get organized. Not only never organized, but never even listened to and often not even opened, mostly because I already have it in Apple Music. The desire was simply to acquire it, I guess. So now when I get that burning desire, I take a step back and force myself to wait a day or two. More often than not, I realize it was just that weird desire to touch something that I think happens to all of us who grew up with physical media. Kids these days are not going to have that attachment and I do admit that I think it's sad they'll never appreciate artwork or liner notes like we did. Streaming, like it or not, is here to stay, and nothing is going to change that. I'm actually a little jealous of young people because they have no idea what the struggle was like to find that odd release that only one store in town might have had. Most likely, it's available to stream. I can't imagine how crazy I would have gone being able to sample so much stuff any time I wanted to. Heck, I do that now, but the musical horizon for me in my mid-40s is nothing like it is for kids with time on their hands and curiosity out the wazoo. They're incredibly lucky, IMO.

Adam9 likes this.
  22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Funny how one person turned this thread from parting with CDs to how artists get paid from streaming.

23. schnitzerphilip

It is, actually.

Because unlike 1999 when only 5% of households had any Mozart titles in their private collections, here in 2019 100% of all Streaming households have every piece of music that Mozart ever created. That's what happens when you don't need a house and a room and some shelves to house 60 million songs.

24. schnitzerphilip

That is a function of technical shortsightedness, a lack of vision, and poor negotiating skills. As Streaming is still a relatively new medium it'll take a few years for the math to settle in and the pie to be more fairly distributed.

I remember the same compensation conversations around CD's which were 40% more expensive to consumers but provided the same flat-fee royalty as a vinyl disc to recording artists. This isn't a new phenomena. Streaming isn't the devil. It's still the Labels calling the shots and grabbing the lion's share of the revenue.

25. mark winstanley

I am not trying to sound mean or anything, so please don't read it that way, but you are being terribly shortsighted on this. I am 51, and probably have 15-30 years left, so it doesn't really bug me much to be honest, but streaming certainly has a lot of music, but nowhere near everything.
    Also, you have a situation where streaming is getting itself into position. My example of the tv was merely in relation to pricing. When streaming has won the war, as it appears it will, the options will shut down, the unrealistic under-priced current set ups will start to grow substantially, and suddenly to access music will be a hundred dollars a month.
    Also as artists start to find that they can't afford to make music anymore and move to alternate situations, like gigs, all that will be available as new music via corporate streaming networks will be corporate created units like the current k-pop situation. where a bunch of pretty boys and girls are synced to a computer and make pretty videos. Easily controlled and easy to sell, and the corporations have exactly what they have been trying to get for the last fifty years lol
    Diet music, poisonous, but easy to digest

j_rocker, Guy E and Eric_Generic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.