Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

The way Apple Music works, you upload all your rarities and from that point forward you have access to those 500 important obscurities and 45 million other songs all pushed together for you to access conveniently anywhere and on any device.

The lack of the 10th pressing of Rubber Soul from the Bethlehem PA plant with the inverted John/Paul vocals is no excuse to avoid Streaming; you merely upload those obscurities once and they're there for you. Magic.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  2. schnitzerphilip

I streamed 50 songs this morning.

3. schnitzerphilip

We are talking about two different things.

My point is that a used CD doesn't compensate an artist at all. A streaming subscription does.

Your point is that streaming doesn't compensate an artist enough. To that point, I don't care because that's a matter of a contract negotiation, nothing to do with a listener's habits.

4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Or they could be the type of person that doesn't need to use their house as a showroom for whatever agenda they may have. Again, I actually know people like this.

Don't get me wrong btw...I live in a home (differentiated from a "house", if you get my meaning). And it has a lot of stuff in it and I have shelves of music today. In my man cave though, not in the living room. And when I eventually downsize it will still be a home versus something out of Black Mirror, at least I hope so.

But for music, I prefer to carry it with me. Because I'm only in my home for a certain amount of time and I'm still me when I'm away from it and I still want to listen to my tunes. So I try to have the best of both worlds there and keep the shelves manageable as well.

eddiel and Pop_Zeus like this.
  5. schnitzerphilip

Wait.

So Big Brother doing all that snooping with their evil algorithms is bad but you doing it with your eyes is good?

This thread needs to be renamed "Post Your Hypocrisy Here".

eric777 likes this.
  6. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

This is hands down one of the most bizarre forum posts I have ever read. Don't listen to a CD I have bought? Really? I get that an artist isn't gonna benefit from me buying a 25 year old used CD for £3. But I have bought enough brand new CDs over nearly 30 years and enough concert tickets to not feel guilty about that.

7. schnitzerphilip

I don't know anyone who works and has kids who has a dedicated in-home "listening room". The only time I get to enjoy music is when I'm alone in my car, on a train, or when everyone else is in bed.

Gaslight likes this.
  8. schnitzerphilip

This has nothing to do with artists. It has to do with you.

By confining yourself to a collection of 500 CD's because that's all that fits on your sound room shelf you are preventing yourself from adding 5 million CD's to your collection that a streaming service can provide you for a measly $10 a month.

So paint your walls in 60's vinyl and plastic, surround yourself with 80's concert memorabilia. But get streaming already. No one will notice. I won't tell anyone. It's just you and me. Let's do this.

9. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Errr, in my latter example I was invited in. And my friend could be assured I wasn't going to use this information to sell him things or worse. And in the first place I d0n't recall at any point in this thread bemoaning "Big Brother."

10. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

For real? The only thing I agree with here is "It has to do with you." Yes, it does, and I choose to listen to CDs.

I am not 'confined to 500 CDs' and I have no interest at all in having 5 million albums available to me.

You cannot tell me what to do, any more than I can tell you to stop streaming and start playing CDs or LPs.

11. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I'll listen to whatever music I like, on whatever format I want. Streaming is a pitiful revenue stream. Buying a CD is the equivalent of thousands of streams. Buying new stuff from the artist is a far better revenue stream of getting the money directly to the musician.

I don't mind buying used but only when the following apply :

- The artist is dead and / or stinking rich anyway. REM, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, and David Bowie are never going to worry about where the next mortgage payment is coming from.
    - The record is deleted. There's no *new* copies to buy.

80% of my fun money goes on gig tickets, band merch, and CD's/vinyl anyway. At one point I was responsible for 0.01% of Discogs global monthly sales. Music gets almost all of my money.

12. Howard Bleach

I guess you missed this when I posted it the other thirty times in response to this same illogical statement, so I'll repeat it again: even a CD purchased at sticker price one time is a better deal for an artist than streaming, even of that CD exchanges hands an additional five times on the used market.

no.nine likes this.
  13. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

What Streaming Music Services Pay (Updated for 2018)

50 song plays are worth much, much less than two new sales. If you don't care about how much money a musician earns, don't be surprised if they stop making music and start working in an office.

Howard Bleach likes this.
  14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'm procrastinating right now (usually the case when I'm on this forum) but shortly I'll mow the lawn and my DAP will be at my side, of course. Several new albums to further digest and enjoy today.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  15. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Same here. It appears that @schnitzerphilip is spectacularly intolerant of what others choose to do. I can no longer be bothered arguing with him, as he will clearly only be satisfied when we all admit that we are wrong and he is right. Lets all sell off our collections that we've been building all our lives and start streaming 45 million albums, everyone!

16. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Just last night I spent $50 on two used CDs and two LPs. Listening to music is one of the joys of life.
    I don’t mind that I spent and currently spend my money on music.

Plus putting a resale value on music that one buys is sort of funny anyway if you think about it.

I think the guy is looking back on his life with some regrets like we all do and sort of pointing a finger at something that may not be the true source of his feelings about his situation. In other words he might be taking his music collection too seriously.
    I find it odd that he regrets paying $18.99 for a CD in the 90s but is ok with purchasing the Beatles White Album deluxe set today.

Life is too short to worry about stuff like this just turn up the stereo!

17. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I don't understand people that have 'hidden rooms' with their actual tastes in and pretend to like other stuff. Just be you. If we can't be ourselves when we're not at work, what's the point of there being a 'yourself'? I like some incredibly uncool stuff, and don't care who knows that. Music should be an expression of ourselves. Like what you like. And if it's terrible old goth nonsense from the Eighties that has aged appallingly - like much of my taste - who cares? Some people fly halfway across the world to see a football team in Runcorn. I fly across the world to see bands play to 50 people in deserted rooms on windy Tuesdays in tiny towns that you only hear about when there's a murder. :)

In the days when I was dating, if I went somewhere and that person had no books, no music, nothing, I'd become worried they had no centre, no taste, nothing at the heart of them. Who wants to live in a bland showroom anyway? My home is a home, it's lived-in, loved, and full of great music and good books.

18. Howard Bleach

This is doubly true when looking for potential bandmates.

markreed and Pop_Zeus like this.
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

What's ironic isn't your post. But that @Howard Bleach gave you a like.

I'll remind him of that the next time he tries to shame someone to stop using a streaming service. This one was one of my favorites so I'll just drop this here : Spotify Is An Enemy of Sustainable Arts

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I already brought this up, found my old post on it. Essentially my math (if accurate) shows that it's about 17 hours of play, at least with Tidal.

The Pros and Cons Of Streaming

21. Howard Bleach

I see no inconsistency there. I never told anyone what to do. I only know that there are clear differences between right and wrong, and even children know how to make those distinctions for themselves and act accordingly--or not.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I stream & listen to my huge collection of physical media. What’s the grip here?

Lost In The Flood and Pop_Zeus like this.
  23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Every time you post, it's just more gold.

Read the link post.

Btw, I stream and buy also. Used CD's too.

audiomixer likes this.
  24. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

How did "go with what works best for you" get so convoluted?

25. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

did you not read the subtext?
    " Whatever you are doing is wrong"

Gaslight and Pop_Zeus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.