Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Exactly my point. The Beatles ran the gauntlet, they paid their dues in German strip clubs and broken down vans, and that gave them the right to get in a studio with professionals and craft She Loves You which reached my ears and made me a lifelong fan.

So if the next Paul McCartney is in a basement in Wisconsin eating generic mac and cheese from a can tonight, hang in there, he'll be in a Bentley in a month. But until then, not my concern, he's not recorded anything yet, his financials aren't my concern and I don't need to hear about them.

2. schnitzerphilip

I have them in my basement! I can stream Sgt. Pepper and sniff the musty red moire sleeve if I wish.

But I don't. Because I'm an adult.

3. schnitzerphilip

It's not easy having the biggest music collection on SHF. I deal with a lot of jealous types.

4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Someone mentioned the new Slipknot release being a CDR. And here it is on Amazon with the note about it being a CDR.
    https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Not-Y...=1565791870&s=gateway&sr=8-2&tag=mfconvert-20

Someone suggested they may have run out of pressed CDs, but I thought it interesting that a new release would be a CDR. Normally, manufactured on demand CDRs are releases that have been OOP prior to Amazon selling them.

5. schnitzerphilip

I'm a fan of Pop music and Alternative music. Both are fundamentally about what is mass-marketable. It's the entire point of the genre. Make popular music that reaches a huge audience and sells in massive amounts.

It hasn't let me down. I've never discovered some fantastic artist on my own or in some obscure club. If they're good enough, they reach a point where their popularity swells and it gets on my radar just at the right moment. When they're actually making something good.

6. schnitzerphilip

And I have nothing against collecting, it's people who come back and call streamers "the enemy of sustainable arts" that I have an objection to.

Gaslight likes this.
  7. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I have realized my childhood dream of living in a (recorded) music library (of records, tapes and CDs). Why would I let some dirty old egg-suckin' dog talk me out of it??? My answer to clutter: get organized, put up more shelving. Done.

Pop_Zeus, tmtomh and The MEZ like this.
  8. schnitzerphilip

This. Thank you for recognizing it when it takes place. Things are a little cray-cray sometimes. I don't get it.

dkmonroe likes this.
  9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm sure $10 buys the convenience of not downloading the files and bluetoothing them to your phone. But triple it to $30-40 and I'm sure the convenience factor goes away. Of course, there's always youtube. Until they start charging.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  10. schnitzerphilip

But what about the artists? What about their starving basements? What about the art? If you didn't buy or stream your copy of Breakfast In America, Supertramp didn't see a dime of your money. Completely unfair. Joe Bonaroo is going to blame Spotify for what you've done.

11. schnitzerphilip

[​IMG]

dkmonroe likes this.
  12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I could lose a few dozen if I sit down and make decisions on remasters/reissues vs. older releases. I keep putting it off.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Looked at the reviews and yep, pictures and all tell the tale.

That's pretty messed up for a brand new release.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  14. schnitzerphilip

I own an expansive beach house in New England but I thought the optic of a tiny cabin in the woods would make people think I was a bit more grounded.

I don't know Joe. But I do know that he's fighting to get his posse more money and it seems a bit disingenuous how he's going about it IMO.

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yeah! let's find a baseball game in Chicago and promote it on the radio.

16. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Nobody cares about your house.

17. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

I get that, but it's not the same for everybody. I know the exact spot I was driving when I first heard "Pretty Vacant". I still smile when I drive through that intersection. Changed my life.

Gaslight likes this.
  18. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

I have no idea how anyone could part with their CDs;
    I tried, but find it impossible.
    Much easier to part with a comb.

Lost In The Flood and Pop_Zeus like this.
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not with my hairline

20. rick harper

rick harper Forum Resident

I've still got thousands of cassettes recorded in real time w/ Dolby on very good tape. No way I'll get rid of them. Backups. Records are the problem. They're heavy, and I'm olde. Having to move soon. Back to u-haul I went. It'll take 25 boxes. They have perfect ones, .89 each. I don't wanna deal with it. But I will. I hope.

21. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

How in the world are the plain facts a "re-writing" of history? Because they don't fit the bizarre narrative that you have concocted?

Every mass consumer preference that has driven the market in the last 40 years of sound recordings has indicated a public preference for convenience. Whether it was cassette tapes, CDs Ipods, downloads and now streaming, it points toward a clear and irrefutable desire by the public to have less of the physical objects on which sound recordings are made. Streaming isn't popular just because it's cheap (though that certainly plays a role), it's because the public generally has no interest in keeping stacks of physical media around. They very clearly don't want it. The idea that you can't give away a CD today merely because nobody has CD players is totally laughable. People got rid of their CD players because they no longer were burdened with having to use them, and we're not going back.

Sure, there are a small subset of music fans who still like to buy albums on physical media (I still buy vinyl and a few CDs here and there when that's what available) but we're a small minority and quickly shrinking.

People on special interest message boards tend to think that the world they are interested in is shared by a much greater slice of the public than actually is the case.

Rodz42 and Pete Puma like this.
  22. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

What is the difference between a cd sitting on the shelf and Goodwill and the shelf it sits on? Nothing. They are both used goods for sale. Many times it's stuff that gets there when people pass away or they give to Goodwill hoping to help out and clear stuff they no longer need. Cds are not any more special or different from the books that sit next to it or the silverware on the next shelf.

Duophonic and tmtomh like this.
  23. Sorry, I don't believe you as there will always be a demand for physical media.

If I was going on a flight I'd load my device with the music files I know I might want to listen to.

Also, at present it's still only 320kbps, even on Spotify Premium.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  24. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

But if you’re listening to the music through an unsatisfactory setup then the music isn’t the only thing that matters. What does matter is getting the best sound you can out of your music and the only way to do this is by listening through equipment that actually has good fidelity.

ANALOGUE OR DEATH likes this.
  25. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

He has repeatedly stated that he is more than happy with the sound he gets out of his various set-ups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.