Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

This is so on the money.
    Instead of educating the masses on the benefits of CD's they abandon the format or destroy said benefit by far exceeding the normal limits of compression.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  2. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

I think you are talking about two different areas of the Music Industry. Recording VS Sales.

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Fair enough. It truly did make me laugh. Even if we're talking about recording, how many people in these parts want analog in every step of the process rather than the use of technology? A few I think. :)

4. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

Thats a whole different argument. Technology does not always mean digital. Im thinking new microphone tech etc. The new(ish) mono Beatle LPs are all analogue and IMHO are great examples of whats possible with new (analogue) tech. I think when people decry the use of digital in what should be an analog product they are mostly complaining about an over harsh digital sound. Ive had that happen to me a few times (a new release of Joe Walsh's "But Seriously Folks" comes to mind. On the other hand, digital is almost certainly in the path for the new Stereolab releases and I don't think anyone could complain about how they sound. Ramble over. lol. But I agree with you. Ive seen a few posts where its Digital = No Sale.

Vaughan likes this.
  5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

So each individual play of an album via streaming does not pay as much as a purchase of a new CD. Thanks for that, that was unclear or something.

The point is that streaming pays something every time you play. If Black Sabbath earned a fraction of a cent every time I played one of their songs, they'd have made much more money from me over 40+ years then they have from me buying their LPs and CDs.

And resales pay the artist nothing.

Gaslight likes this.
  6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Ironically, he's a guy who loves streaming and yet the music industry had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the non physical digital age. If it weren't for people outside of the music industry there would never have been downloads or streaming. The music industry is a virtual dinosaur when it comes to embracing technology to delivery music. Maybe they're getting better at it now, but they did not take to it like a duck to water.

Maybe he's too young to remember the napster era?

(I know you're also referring to other technology in your post)

Vaughan likes this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I don't think they are better at it now. Isn't Spotify using MP3's? How very yesterday. A phone app? Yeah..... I can't think of any single area where the music business has dealt with technology in a smart way, at least when it comes to addressing consumers. They're awful at it, in fact. How long has Youtube, effectively, been streaming music? How long have we had music on the go? The only difference now is that 1) You can pay a monthly fee for it; 2) They found a brand new way to screw the essence of their value - the artists - out of even more money. Well done the music industry. :D

Eric_Generic and Stencil like this.
  8. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I believe in supply and demand and am not worried about a musician receiving a certain income. If they negotiate a bad deal or can't find a way for the free market to work for them, they have to adjust. The free market will decide whether analog survives. Or CD's. Or streaming. And to what degree. The free market is a massive collective intelligence that governments or people yelling from a soapbox can't control or compete with.

bherbert, schnitzerphilip and The MEZ like this.
  9. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Ah, so that is why you keep trying to wind up CD collectors with second hand views. You’ve been condescending of CD ownership since page 8, so this new “have it both ways” argument seems a bit disingenuous.

I should be ticked, but I’m not. In the spirit of open-mindedness, I’m inclined to compromise on your advocacy for digital intrusion by simply acknowledging the fact that you may be right twice a day. :winkgrin:

:cheers:
    Cat

10. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Great post.

11. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

No.

Read 'em and weep . . .

Here are the estimated payout rates per stream for eight of the most-used streaming companies in music, according to Information is Beautiful.

Napster - $0.0167

Tidal - $0.0110

Apple Music - $0.0064

Google Play - $0.0059

Deezer - $0.0056

Spotify - $0.0038

Pandora - $0.0011

YouTube - $0.0006

Eric_Generic likes this.
  12. schnitzerphilip

No one told the music industry to embrace 8-tracks or cassettes or fear losing their revenue. It was new and portable, so they offered it as an alternative. Same for CD's. No one said thou must go digital. It was new and sounded better so they offered it as an alternative. The music industry was pretty quick and decisive once Apple came up with a solution to the Napster menace, all labels practically simultaneously went up on iTunes. In all examples all labels joined hands to support the new medium. They didn't go through a VHS vs. Betamax situation. They haven't fractured like that since 45's vs. LP's in the 1940's. That's what "embracing technology" means.

It's consumers you apparently have beef with. Consumers chose CD's over vinyl. Horrific sales is what killed that medium. Same for cassettes, chosen over 8-tracks by consumers. Same for CD's now. Consumers have chosen Streaming and have left physical sales in their dust. Hi-res media? Never heard of it. Neither have consumers. That's the reason it doesn't exist.

SoporJoe likes this.
  13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

This has been talked about quite a bit but you're not seeing any other point other than your own, because you do not wish to.

Gaslight and SoporJoe like this.
  14. schnitzerphilip

[​IMG]

Close, but no.

He is talking about things that matter to 100 faux music connoisseurs whilst oblivious to what motivates 100 million music consumers.

15. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

"Educating the masses on the benefits of CDs?" What the heck are the benefits of CDs in the 2010s?

16. R. Cat Conrad

That’s vastly understated. Artists are getting ripped off more through streaming because the individual song payout is infinitesimal and the bookkeeping for it more prone to error.

I’ve noticed that many musicians sign & sell CDs at venues where they’re performing or have vendors do this. If CDs weren’t profitable, why would they bother? Those per unit profits probably greatly exceed regular CD royalties (online and shops), but are dramatically higher when compared to streaming royalties. I have greater respect for folks who buy and rip their CDs to CDRs or download their favorites to hard-drives.

The convenience of streaming platforms, while having obvious appeal, is an unsustainable market for recording artists and consumers will eventually pay the price. Right now it seems cheap ...and often the first taste is free... but over time it will become a costly addiction. Look at the multiplicity of pay video services for comparison.

There are already foxes in the back-catalog henhouse figuring out ways to rake in cash from both consumers and artists. These are nothing more than opportunistic middlemen trying to squeeze blood out of a dwindling turnip. Instead of streaming, it should be called revenue streamlining. Put another way, those music fans who actually care about quality over convenience will eventually come to the realization that the profits are written on the studio walls and concert halls, ...not downstream.

My two cents (not adjusted for inflation) ...and yes, mileage will vary.

Cat

17. schnitzerphilip

Thank you.

Laminate.

Hang on every page of this thread.

Gaslight and dkmonroe like this.
  18. R. Cat Conrad

Better sound quality than streaming ...for those who care about it. :tiphat:

Cat

19. schnitzerphilip

This.

If consumers wanted uncompressed CD's they'd have them. If consumers hated streaming Spotify would have gone bankrupt. The music industry offers different and innovative ways to listen to their product. The consumers decide which one sticks.

20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

So, in the end some people like their CDs and some like their streaming. Some listen, some don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.