Pass Labs amp on the way

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pythonman, Sep 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is all new for me. I mean, the Parasound P5 preamp is not bad but, there’s not much to it construction wise and it is what it is. It’s got a bunch of features I don’t use or need like bass management and a DAC and an entry level phonostage I am not running. Don’t need the theater pass through nor the streaming whatever it has. So basically what’s left that I am using of it is fairly rudimentary I guess.
    Operating on a hunch I’m guessing a preamp upgrade , even one like the Parasound JC2 or perhaps a Pass XP12 for that matter, would make a huge improvement that I could hear easily. So, we shall see..

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I like having my amp and preamp matching. Although, I did run my Pass Alph 1.2 mono blocks with the tube CAT preamp.

Like this CAT Renaissance Black Path.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Click For Full-Size Image.

3. Pythonman

OMG. That CAT looks amazing!

Tullman likes this.
  4. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

You like the inside of the CAT?
    What's so amazing about it, I have no clue.
    For me it looks like any amp. If somebody told me it was a tuner I would believe him.
    Enlighten me, please. :)

5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

While I have not heard the XP12, I own the 22 and 32, both are positively outstanding preamp’s if you value neutrality, speed and definition.

AmericanHIFI and Pythonman like this.
  6. Pythonman

I wouldn’t know where to start. However there’s some serious tech involved just in the manufacturing of the Black Path capacitors of which there are many in this unit. It’s one fine tubed preamp Id love to hear.

Tullman likes this.
  7. Pythonman

The XP22 would be a candidate over the XP12 for me simply because I use the record outs of which the 12 has none of. The XP22s are turning up slightly used now so, I’ll see what kind of deals are to be had on them for sure. I’d also like to keep the one brand synergy between amp and preamp!

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I have used the Rogue Audio Metis and then the Perseus with my Pass Aleph 3. The Rogue Audio RP-5 would be an even better mate for it. They have successively lower noise floors as you move up the line, and all have that 3D tube magic that brings out the best in soundstage regardless of recording quality. I should probably reconnect the Pass or a tube amp again, now that it is getting colder. I enjoy the sound and simplicity of a hybrid system.
    -Bill

Pythonman likes this.
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

SL1 Renaissance Preamplifier
    BLACK PATH AUDIO EDITION
    CAT’s philosophy is to design our products to neither add to, nor detract from, the music. We never attempt to cover up a design problem with another problem, nor do we try to introduce a supposedly complementary problem to “synergise” with it. Two wrongs do not make a right. Only the eradication of the problem is correct.
    The SL1 Renaissance is the product of relentless refinement to the original SL1 introduced in 1985. We have identified and eliminated every electronic artifact. This preamplifier is designed to allow superior systems to reach their fullest potential.
    Power Supply
     External power supply chassis contains the transformer’s magnetic field eliminating it as a source of hum.
     Rectification, initial regulation, and noise filtering are all performed in the EPS thereby delivering pure quiet DC power into the main chassis eliminating the grain and dryness associated with noise intermodulation.
     Slow filament power-up extends tube life greatly.
     Quadruple cascaded audio power supply combines 22 zero-feedback regulators with over 30 energy storage and bypass capacitors for unequaled dynamic life, soundstage precision and musicality.
     Isolation transformer eliminates entry of radio frequency noise through the AC power line yielding greater benefits than any of the expensive add-on power line conditioners without any of their sonic shortcomings.
    Circuitry
     Pure vacuum tube circuitry for vibrant and natural music.
     Extraordinarily quiet high gain phono amp accommodates both high and low output cartridges.
     Fastest tube preamplifier, without any of the high frequency circuit-induced edginess which slower preamps frequently substitute for real speed. This speed is maintained even into long runs of cable.
     Lowest open loop distortion of any preamp yields unforced detail and resolution as no other preamp can.
     Low feedback ratio eliminates the aggressiveness of high feedback designs and yet still maintains correct focus.
     Matched output impedance snubs reflections on interconnects quickly, yielding exquisitely lucid midrange and treble.
    Chassis
     Very strong steel chassis with anti-RFI plating ensures hum and RF free operating environment for the circuits.
     Damping material lines both chassis to stop mechanical resonances which would otherwise modulate the electric fields in the preamp.
     Mechanical isolation from floor vibrations provided by high loss viscoelastic feet.
    Quality
     Exotic low loss circuit board material combines the transparency of hard wiring with the low resonant signature and musicality of a circuit board.
     Amazing new high technology BLACK PATH capacitors used for the ENTIRE audio signal path.
     Balance and volume controls are military grade rotary switches with solid silver contacts wired with precision resistors. (46 position volume control now standard!)
     CAT designed MC transformer is the flattest, fastest, cleanest transformer ever made, regardless of price.
     The best sounding precision resistors are used everywhere for the best resolution and minimum unit to unit variability,
     CAT audiophile capacitors are used in the power supply.
     Premium BLACK PATH audio wire used throughout.
     Rhodium/Gold jacks for superior connection.
    Convenience
     Front panel muting switch.
     Internal high/low line stage gain switch allows gain optimization for all systems.
     Automatic mute at turn on and turn off.
     Record/Normal front panel taping switch
     Extra set of main output jacks for A/V and special setups.
     Load jack allows changing MC cartridge loading while listening to music.
     Optional balanced inputs and outputs
    Specifications
    Gain (@1kHz): Line 25.8 dB (“high”) / 15.2 dB (“low”),
    Phono 47dB MM / 58 dB MC
    Gain Tracking: Line .05dB, Phono .05dB
    Frequency Response: Line 0.1Hz to 800kHz+0, -3dB
    Phono RIAA +/- 0.1dB 20Hz to 20kHz (MC & MM)
    Harmonic Distortion (@ 1 volt): Line less than .0005%
    Phono less than .001%
    Slew Rate: Line 15 volts/microsec, Phono 10 volts/microsec
    Maximum Output (@1kHz): Line & phono 50 volts rms
    Input Overload: Line 1000 volts rms
    Phono MM 250 mv rms at 1kHz, MC 70 mv rms
    Noise: Line High 98 dBA, Low 109 dBA below2 volt output
    Phono MM 97 dBA below 10 mv input, MC 107 dBA
    Separation: Line greater than 90 dB
    Phono greater than 90 dB
    Input Impedance: Line 50 kohms, 20pf,
    MM Phono 47.5 kohms, 180 pf
    MC Phono 4K ohms (User adjustable)
    Output Impedance: Line 100 ohms, Phono 50 ohms
    Maximum Load: Line under 4000 pf, over 5000 ohms
    Phono under 4000 pf, over 10,000 ohms
    Dimensions: Main Chassis - 19.0” X 5.24” X 12.2”
    Power Supply - 12,2” X 4.0” X 6.0”
    Weight: Net 64 lbs., Ship 70 lbs.
    Power Requirements: 120v, 60Hz, 80 watts (export version

MCX1 - MC Transformer
    The CAT MCX1 is the BEST MC transformer ever made in all ways which
    count.
    First, it is BY FAR the flattest most neutral MC trannie ever. The frequenciy
    response is DEAD flat (+/- 0.02 dB for those of you who need numbers) up to
    20K with any cartridge up to 20 ohms internal impedance and only 0.15 dB
    down with a 50 ohm cartridge like the Clearaudio. This is opposed to the
    roller coaster type responses you see of other MC trannies, some of which
    cost over $10K. Don’t kid yourself, MC trannie responses which are +/- 2.0
    dB have a serious effect on musicality, even if they might be preferable
    “overall” to the dry, dull sound of an MC headamp. (See the Stereophile
    review of the SL1 Legend from 2007. The MC response lays right on top of
    the MM response up to 10K and is only down 0.1 dB at 20K – this being due
    to the 30 ohm output impedance of the signal generator used in the test)
    Next, the MCX1 has a very high input impedance. It is 8K ohms in “low gain”
    mode and 2K in high gain mode. (Early units only had low gain and their
    input impedance was 4K) This is very important because many people prefer
    the sound of an MC cartridge “straight in” rather than being loaded down.
    (please read our article about loading MC cartridges). We find that 2K
    sounds essentially “straight in” with any MC cartridge. The current draw of
    2K is negligibly higher than 47K. We have heard no cartridge which shows
    dynamic compression at this impedance. (It seems that 1K is about where
    this compression effect starts with some cartridges.)
    BTW you can still load your cartridge further with CATs loading plugs if you
    have a hot cartridge which really needs to have a “little off the top”.
    But it goes beyond flat, low THD, high impedance.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Khorn, jonwoody, GuinnessDan and 2 others like this.
  10. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Tullman, is that it? ;)

11. Pythonman

Thank you Tullman! I’ve always had a deep respect for the CAT SL1 and their current preamps. Like the latest ARC tube preamps too.

Tullman likes this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No, it sound amazing too.

mongo likes this.
  13. G E

G E Senior Member

Pass Labs XP-22 just ordered. Replacing venerable Bel Canto Pre 6.

Pythonman and jawaka1000 like this.
  14. G E

G E Senior Member

XP-22 returned to dealer....

... and it's been replaced by the XP-32 !

I really enjoyed my time with the 22, but I did not stop reading the XP-32 reviews and they became worms gnawing my brain. I decided it was now or never to make the move, so I contacted the dealer and arranged the upgrade.

The 32 is leagues above the xp-22. It's sense of ease in the presentation beguiles. It's a purer sounding preamp, cleaner lines, particularly upper midrange and high end. This is what I felt was missing in the xp-22 to a certain extent.

So, it's still breaking in, running my Hagerman cable cooker through it 24 hours a day except when listening. Every couple days I spin a couple records and hear the gradual improvements. This was a demo unit with few hours, so not broken in at all.

This past weekend I played a Billie Holiday record I just picked up, the Analog Productions' "All or Nothing at All". WOW! What an incredible recording and performance. It came alive and much is owed to the Pass Labs XP-32.

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I think it must be nice to have all those inputs.

16. Pythonman

Now whatever you do, DO NOT read the Pass XS Preamp reviews.

That's awesome though, I've heard it's not wise to PASS up the XP-30 used either if you're looking at saving a buck. Still havent made the move on my preamp upgrade. So I'm jealous! LOL.

17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Admit it, the real reason you went for the XP-32 is because you couldn't bear the thought of your neighbor having a pre-amp in more chassis than yours! :winkgrin: :laugh:

Enjoy!

18. G E

G E Senior Member

yes, more inputs factored in slightly. But I don’t have as much junk to hook up.
    Using tape in and tape out for a cassette deck (!). Digitizing some mix takes and rarities I recorded in the ‘7o’s

Tullman likes this.
  19. G E

G E Senior Member

I recall reading somewhere it’s sonic profile is a bit different than the 22/32 family. I don’t recall the source

20. G E

G E Senior Member

that extra chassis was not really a plus. My equipment stack is in a space meant to be a small walk in closet. I have a vertical 5 shelf rack. Not enough he height to stack the two units... but I don’t care to stack components anyway... Turntable on top and old blu ray in bottom. Phono preamp off to the side. No more room in the inn.

21. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Well, it’s not on the way like the thread title states as I installed it on Sunday, a new to me X250.8! I wanted to try class A as the first 25 watts are that before going to AB, but I also wanted plenty of juice (250w/4 & 500w/8) for movies as my listening space doubles as my theater, check and check.

I have been listening to nothing but Tidal and CD’s since it’s been installed, and I’m a vinyl guy. I could go on and on about what I’m hearing but I’ll spare everyone and only share 2 things that I wasn’t prepared for.

1. Bass initially felt less/weaker than I was used to. What’s going on is that the bass has tightened up quite a bit and I am hearing less splash when bass notes hit. The bass is much more tuneful, I’m hearing low, mid, and high bass notes that were buried or smushed before.

2. I’m not in a rush to go anywhere or think about what to listen to next. It is more detailed than my previous amp (Benchmark AHB2) but it’s infinitely more musical and fun at the same time.

Excellent purchase and not regretting it for a moment!

Pythonman, mds, reapers and 2 others like this.
  22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Excellent! What do the neighbors think of it? :laugh:

Pythonman likes this.
  23. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

We’ll see, lol, I haven’t felt the need to let it off the leash yet. I’m feeling the need to rewatch John Wick. :D

24. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Congrats you'll be very happy. They look so damn cool too. Mark at Reno helped me with my XP-15 purchase. He's truly a nice guy, great to deal with.

G E, Clay B, reapers and 1 other person like this.
  25. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Postimage wasn’t working yesterday for me so I couldn’t share a pic, here it is.
    [​IMG]

G E, IanL, Pythonman and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.