Pass Labs XA25 Anyone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Dominator

Dominator Forum Resident

Love the Avanti1960 threads. My auditions and ultimate purchases have somehow closely paralleled Tony. Currently Technics 1210gr or Marantz SA8005 feeding a Cary SLP05 to PS Audio BHK 300 to Stirling LS3/6 and REL T7s. Along the way seriously considered Rogue, Para sound A21+, Pass 30.8, and various Harbeth's.

Echoes Myron, james and avanti1960 like this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ST100 was a great sounding amp.
    Excellent sound stage
    Good bass and dynamics.
    Very good refinement.
    Occasionally a little shouty in the midrange.
    Ultimately missing the highest highs and the deepest lows and great micro dynamics and quickness.
    The XA25 has the frequency extremes and is so quick electronically that notes appear instantaneously making the presentation scary real at times. I get slightly startled by how quickly some sounds appear out of nowhere. The pace and timing is right on too, again making it sound more life like.
    The other standout feature of the sound of this amp is the contrast in volume of different instruments compared to every other amp I have owned.
    A bass guitar will suddenly be noticeably louder than the rest of the mix, or an acoustic guitar in the right channel will do the same thing for example. It is very cool. I have never noticed this kind of contrast with any other amplifier, never made me take notice.

3. avanti1960

Down the rabbit hole !
    I was looking hard at the BHK 250 with tubes on the input stage.

4. avanti1960

More sound impressions as I learn its sound and it continues to evolve....

Dignan2000, Art K, Slimwhit33 and 5 others like this.
  5. I've heard said "Contrast" can be a very good thing & thanks so much for your thoughtful reporting.

avanti1960 likes this.
  6. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I’d like to try a BHK at some point.
    Intrigued

Tim 2 and LivLif like this.
  7. onemug

onemug Forum Resident

Congrats on your 25. Glad you are giving it time, looks like it's paying off.

I bought a Pass XA30.5 13 yrs ago, the following year I bought their XA100.5 monos... still have them both. I found putting a good tube preamp in front of them to perform music magic for me and I'm a BIG tube 'amp' fan.

fwiw... they have been in constant use and have never had a hiccup.

Dignan2000, Rick58, Tim 2 and 5 others like this.
  8. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

The BHK 250 is an AMAZING amp. I just sold mine to upgrade to BHK 300 Monos.

avanti1960 likes this.
  9. avanti1960

Listening yesterday afternoon for a few LPs and the sound can be summed up as "enjoyable". The sound is enjoyable on all levels and has a perfect balance of detail and forgiveness.
    The midrange is definitely a bit forward, which I really like. Highs are perfect.
    The amp continues to burn in, I put back in the brighter Sylvania tall boy tubes which caused the original harshness and that has all but disappeared. Not gone completely with those tubes but greatly reduced.
    I'll continue to listen and report back more impressions as the amp completes the ~ 4 week burn in time.

Rick58, rischa, Tim 2 and 6 others like this.
  10. avanti1960

Oh boy is the sound of this amp starting to blow me away now. Wasn't so sure for a while.
    More.....

11. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

Iwas following this post and waiting for you to come to this conclustion . Enjoy your amp and use it in good health .

Rick58 and avanti1960 like this.
  12. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Always a cool feeling.

cool

avanti1960 likes this.
  13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Hard to beat a good solid state amp, been on both sides of the technology many times.
    Congrates. :righton:

Rick58 and avanti1960 like this.
  14. avanti1960

amp is taking a back step- sound keeps changing back and forth- the tonal balance keeps shifting slightly.
    ~ 200 Hrs and 3-weeks of use.

15. timind

timind phorum rezident

Do you ever consider the possibility other factors may cause the differences you hear? Mood? Power? What you had for dinner? Music selection? This happens to me on occasion where my system just sounds a bit off. I usually attribute it to my mood.

jonwoody, Tone?, Bill Mac and 4 others like this.
  16. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Have you turned it off at all during those 3 weeks? I know amps sound better if they’re warmed up, but maybe there’s a limit to that and it eventually needs to be turned off once in a while in order to regain its composure before turning it back on again.

avanti1960 and bever70 like this.
  17. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Right. No matter what system I've got playing, it varies. And biggest sources of that variation by a huge margin is source material and my mood. The rest don't change much.

Bill Mac and timind like this.
  18. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

That's the nice thing about tubes in an audio chain - you can often use them as tuning devices to get the right balance of sound you are looking for. I am doing that right now with my Manley Shrimp preamp.

Dignan2000 and Khorn like this.
  19. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Agreed. I found that using a tube preamp with an SS power amp makes a huge difference. Far more satisfying in my case.

20. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

This is my choice as well.

Khorn likes this.
  21. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

totally normal
    I hope you close the amp every day for a hour of so.. caps need to decharge a bit before plugging it up again

avanti1960 and jonwoody like this.
  22. avanti1960

I am not discounting these factors but the differences are so obvious. Possibly "source" warmup, e.g. my CD player. But not on phono where the phono preamp is constantly powered on. Also the amp has been several hours before I make these observations. On the same LP it has sounded slightly bass heavy and then more neutral in the same listening session.

jonwoody, timind and Tone? like this.
  23. avanti1960

off all night. on at the crack of dawn !

24. avanti1960

yes, off every night per the dealer's recommendation.

25. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

yeah in my observation it’s 95% mood.

Bill Mac and timind like this.