Pass Labs XA25 Anyone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Aug 18, 2021.

1. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

But how much time has it accumulated?

My system is on 24/7 (which is why I can only use tubes for phono) so I accumulate hours quickly.

Generally, amp burn-in takes 500-750 hours.

2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

You might want to fill out your equipment profile.

3. Retired Audio Guy

Retired Audio Guy Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your kind words.

I agree about the XA25's ability to play softly. The amp, and the Rockports, have the ability to resolve down to the west level of audibility - hence my remarks on the decay of notes. The ability to play ppp is at least as important as fff. Just as Adagio is, I think, a greater test of a musician than Molto Allegro. For me music is about emotion, the ability to transport me to a different - I was going to say place but - universe!

A few times I have played for people who do not, typically, listen to "classical" music, the slow movement of Op. 132. It has changed a few lives! When auditioning gear that movement has been a crucial test.

Dignan2000 and jonwoody like this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Still loving the XA25. Not leaving anytime soon.
    A little warmer sounding but still excellent tone. Explosively micro-dynamic is the key attribute as well as a clean refinement that never loses its composure. Highly recommended.

Bananas&blow, Swann36, woody and 14 others like this.
  5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Excellent that your satisfied. First class manufacturer. It should serve you well for many years.

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

Closing in on 6 months!!! It must be good.:righton:

avanti1960, Glmoneydawg and Khorn like this.
  7. mds

mds Forum Resident

Well it says a lot about the amplifier and how nicely it drives the Harbeth speakers considering they are not the most sensitive at 86dB and 6 ohms. I am sure the pairing of two REL subwoofers is a wonderful addition and help with the bottom end nicely. If anyone has spent time researching and listening to equipment it is you and I am so happy that you found your little slice of heaven with this system you have set up. Congratulations, this system should give you years and years of happiness.

avanti1960, timind and Glmoneydawg like this.
  8. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

The way to go is to bi-amp.

9. Helom

Helom Forum member

The XA25 is an incredibly musical amp, even with less than ideal speaker pairings.

avanti1960 and Swann36 like this.
  10. avanti1960

or by amp.

Dignan2000 and mkane like this.
  11. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Or even buy amp

Bananas&blow and Dignan2000 like this.
  12. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Avanti1960, you might like this latest Audiophiliac video. Jeff is a classical musician and recording artist who built his system around an XA25, a Pass preamp and Magnapan speakers. Just for fun.

sushimaster, avanti1960 and Dafox like this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

Things are about to get weird. Today I’m going to try using the Hegel integrated as a pre/DAC into the XA25. One reason for this is the Hegel’s onboard DAC is very good (at least as judged through the Hegel alone). The Hegel as an integrated has a softer, more rounded sound than that of the XA25 but the power difference is hard to ignore. I want to determine how much of this “softness” is attributable to the Hegel’s amp section.

jonwoody, Spazotron3000 and okc_craft like this.
  14. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I think you should hear a Dynamic Precision amp ;) DP was bought by Electrocompaniet, and right after they closed the brand. The amplifiers was to expensive to manufacture, it was said.
    Leif Erntsen, the founder of DP is a non-compromise engineerer.

I listened to Hegel amps just a few years after the company was founded. It sounded very «solid state» at that time. Not good at all. But it was back then, not now.

15. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I find it interesting that people buy solid state amps when the last thing they want is for them to sound solid state. I find the easiest way to avoid the solid state sound is to buy tube amps ;) I too prefer for my audio playback system to sound analog.

C10 and timind like this.
  16. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Ha ha :p In the old days, most solid state amps had some sound artefacts caused by odd distortions. And that caused the typical «solid state sound», I think.

I have said it before, I love my Yamaha A-S3200 amp, cause it sounds neither solid state or tube. Something in the middle:)

I guss my next amp will be an all digital amp, Pulse Width Modulation technology or something like that. I would guess Yamaha already has something in progress for years to come.

17. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

This isn’t directed to you man. Just using the quote

solid state or tubes.
    The amp is supposed to be transparent. Low distortion etc.
    that’s it
    Unless you like a colored sound. And that’s fine as well.

timind likes this.
  18. Helom

Helom Forum member

The H190 is very good in my system. Doesn’t give up anything to class A amps in terms of smoothness. It’s not the most delineated or precise sound but makes up for that with gobs of power. It’s actually one of the less SS sounding amps I’ve had in house, mostly due to its lack of glare.

So far the Hegel makes for surprising synergy with the XA25, more so than did the LA4. And the Hegel’s built-in DAC is possibly the best I’ve used, though it’s hard to say for that certain since it is inseparable from the rest of the unit.

avanti1960 and timind like this.
  19. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Agreed. I owned a Pass XA30.8 and enjoyed the amp quite a bit. Very organic sounding Class A SS amp. It just didn't bring the sense of space and holographic imaging that tubes did which is a priority to me...not to everyone. We all simply need to obtain the amp to speaks to our own personal listening priorities....no one can argue with that.

Tone? likes this.
  20. Helom

Helom Forum member

I love this amp so much that I bought another one to have a mint condition example with warranty.

I can’t wait to receive my Tekton speakers, which should make for a better pairing than my current stable of inefficient speakers.

21. avanti1960

High praise for sure !
    Should be a great match with the Tektons, The XA25 is performing very well with my 90db Spendors and was even better with the 93db AN speakers.

Are you getting the Lore Reference (96db)?

jonwoody and Glmoneydawg like this.
  22. Helom

Helom Forum member

The Lore Reference with beryllium tweeters. I know the claimed 96db sensitivity is unrealistic, but I’d be happy with ~92.

23. avanti1960

Excellent! When do you expect them?
    Have you thought about the grille option? I have come to appreciate the slight moderation of high frequencies when using solid state amps. Always ran no grilles with tube amps.
    In fact I may have kept the AN speakers if they had grilles to blunt the sibilance.

jonwoody and Glmoneydawg like this.
  24. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Forum Resident

I thought you were using Harbeths?

25. Helom

Helom Forum member

They should be shipping to me any day now. As of last week they were allegedly in the paint shop.

I didn’t order the grilles. Maybe I should have but my impression is that Tekton consider grilles a nuisance, and many who order them never end up receiving them. I managed to enjoy the Revels without grilles so hopefully that bodes well for the potential of the Teks.

I’ve increasingly found that my tolerance for speakers is largely dependent on the quality of the tweeters employed. Generally, the more expensive the tweeter, the easier it is to tolerate. I’ve yet to hear a sibilant beryllium tweeter, though I do know from from first-hand experience that the standard tweeters of the Lore Refs can be a tad grating at times.

avanti1960 likes this.