Pass Labs XA25 Anyone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Aug 18, 2021.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

listening all morning and the xa25 sounds occasionally brilliant yet often with slightly edgy and grainy upper midrange and treble.
    overall my parasound a21+ sounds better at this early stage for the pass amp.

2. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Does it sound like it has enough power to drive your Harbeth's adequately?

3. avanti1960

yes, power does not seem to be an issue at all. plenty of bass and dynamics, the bass is excellent.

PATB and Glmoneydawg like this.
  4. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

It could be a mismatch with your preamp.

5. avanti1960

i think it is a perfect match for gain and impedance.
    with the a21+ i had to throttle the 29db gain in order not to sound slightly harsh, thankfully it has adjustable gain pots.
    the XA25 only has 20db gain.

6. Erocka2000

Maybe just sound-wise, the two just don't mesh well. Or the Pass amp just needs more break-in. Or it's just not the type of sound you're seeking.

Tim 2 and avanti1960 like this.
  7. avanti1960

received word on burn in from the dealer, at least a week.

8. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

Or, (we!) just need to exercise some patience and not try to judge the amp in the first milliseconds its on. He's only had the amp for two days and only just really started to listen, likely only commenting on initial impressions because we're all lined up looking over the fence like a bunch of goons. "How's it sound?" "How about now, better?", "Now?"..... "What about now, good now or worse...?" Give the guy a break before solving the non-existent problem. Damn.

Cheers,
    Robert

rem 600, Tone?, jonwoody and 2 others like this.
  9. Erocka2000

I was just responding to the OPs update given today. I am in no rush to know how he likes the amp over time. My post was just a response to what @avanti1960 said he was hearing as of today, offering reasons why it may sound as it does. No need to get feisty.

10. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

In other words….it right on point!;)
    And I’m dead serious, lil bro! I’ve had new amps in the past that changed back and forth for days before it stopped and was sounding beautiful. Just put on a play list, let it play and walk a way.

11. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Sounds like a lot of work....i suppose at this point i should offer up my services.Send it to me and i will do the burn in for you...i will return it(fully burned in)...in 2 months...3 tops ;)

Swann36, Tim 2, jonwoody and 3 others like this.
  12. avanti1960

Thanks Slippers, and I know this but it has lots of catching up to do. People that dismiss the Parasound a21+ as less than a bonafide audiophile amplifier know not of what they speak.

13. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

I recall when I had an Odyssey Audio amp (that performed great, btw) that literally changed sound characteristics 2 or 3 times over an 8 week period.

avanti1960 likes this.
  14. avanti1960

Not sure if it will work well on Canadien Hydro :)

15. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I'm willing to risk it :)

Tim 2, jonwoody, Paul Van and 3 others like this.
  16. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Yessir. The Pass Labs has some stiff competition. Won't be any kind of slight to lose here, nope.

17. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

well audiophile are often wrong.
    Parasound a21+ is a john curl design, aka not much compromise found anywhere on the amp. its a high end amp in every way (design, parts used, etc)
    I agree with the dealer, any new amp needs a good week of 24h playing.
    That said, my money is that both amp will sound good to excellent. I doubt it will be much of a upgrade

Tim 2 and avanti1960 like this.
  18. avanti1960

A feather in the Pass Labs hat-
    First record with vibes, Joel Ross, Kingmaker.
    Wow, the harmonics of the notes on the vibes sounds incredible, just rings in the air, huge 3D soundstage. Reminds me of my former Rogue Stereo 100 tube amp.
    Something the Parasound cannot do very well.

Dignan2000, Swann36, Tim 2 and 8 others like this.
  19. avanti1960

Yet another spectacular performance by the XA25 as Dexter Gorden's alto sax on Both Sides of Midnight just breathes into the room with force, presence and clarity.
    Showing off its transparent sound it is letting my speakers show what they are capable of. This record has never sounded so brilliant.

Dignan2000, Tim 2, BD2665 and 7 others like this.
  20. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Should get even better. Give it some time. Seems like you made a great choice.

Tim 2 and Rick58 like this.
  21. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Pretty cool !!! One would hope for 67% more $$$, retail, the Pass would be better. I guess the Parasound equivalent is the JC5, which is even more than the Pass.

Dang, something to aspire to if I ever get the chance. But probably my Silver 8s would need upgrading too … oh well.

Tim 2 likes this.
  22. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

It’s one of a few products that if it’s a synergistic match with the rest of your system it’s a genuine bargain. The fact the OP is loving the initial portrayal of his music bodes extremely well.

Tim 2 and jonwoody like this.
  23. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

no
    at a certain point, if you want lots of watts, you sacrifice SQ by desing choice.
    hence why the pass lab is probably better cause I personally find the shl5+ quite easy to drive. 25 WPC fpr regular room is plenty. the parasound a21+ are more for big wilsons or big complicated 3 ways with heavy woofers

Rick58 likes this.
  24. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Not sure if I agree, but not going to argue. Parasound amps put out 10 to 20W in class A, with my set up I’m probably not using more than a couple of watts 99.9% of the time. If I could afford it and moving heavy amplifiers wasn’t an issue, I’d like to try the XA-25 and many other amps in my system along with many other speakers.

I got the A 21 because I would always wonder if it would sound better (if I did get the A 23 which is more than enough power). And I couldn’t afford the new A 21+ or another amplifier. Actually I can afford it I just can’t get away with spending that kind of money.

25. avanti1960

Getting to know the XA25's character. Listening and taking notes. I will let it continue to burn in through this weekend, listen some more and then drop the a21+ back in and compare.
    if the a21+ sounds better i will give the XA25 another week of burn in.
    the lack of power in the XA25 may be showing up as slight fatigue. not sure yet.

FunnyChap, Audiofan1 and Rick58 like this.