Pass Labs XA25 Anyone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Friends

Why do you think Pass Labs calls the XA25 the XA25? Why not the XA75 or XA100? Do you think that maybe having engineered and thoroughly tested the amp they thought that 25 more realistically represented it’s capabilities in the real world with most real world speakers?

Or maybe it went something like this. “Guys this a great amp, but based on performance we’ll have ask $9,ooo-$10,000. Our target price is $5,000. You know, we could sell it for less if we just hid it’s true capabilities. Yea that’s it! Let’s call it an XA25. No one will guess!”

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks! Yes, more than enough power. I did have the D7s and they sounded excellent- super fast and clean and very deep bass with the quasi transmission line port. Best in class bass IMHO. In the end it was a little too neutral sounding- my preference is for a touch of rising bass response from 160 Hz and down.

fully_articulated likes this.
  3. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

This may be what I’m hearing now, A 21 driving MA Silver 8s. I’m using balanced Analysis Plus ICs Copper Oval-In Micro Interconnect and Oval 9 speaker cable.

I was thinking a softer sounding IC like Cardas might be good, but Peter at thecableco suggested SR Foundation … Synergistic Research Foundation Interconnect which is a silver based IC. So it ain’t gonna be “soft”.

I’m going to get some via their lending library …

Sorry don’t mean to hijack the thread, but hoping an IC change can give me the love that I’m lacking presently for this combination.

I absolutely love my 300B SETs driving Triangle Tituses in the nearfield, using similar (cheaper, single ended) Analysis Plus ICs and Oval 12 speaker cable.

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

This has been a great thread. It's really something experiencing the amp's break in, even if it's vicariously. Congrats on finding your amp.

5. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I’ve not listened to the Copper Oval in Micro…how do you like them? I’ve had the Oval 9 speaker cables and they are great! I also have a pair of Synergistic Core interconnects and they are also a nice interconnect.

Rick58 likes this.
  6. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

Lets open a bet? who here think that Avanti will be back to full tube amp within a year?
    :p

cool thread! hopefully it will open the minds of those who think that break-in is in the head. im honestly a bit jealous for your Pass amp, you got good taste and a sick system all around

Bananas&blow, Jacob29, Tim 2 and 7 others like this.
  7. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Nelson Pass has a curious mind. There are differences and you and I both know those differences can be make a pass or fail grade for any of us.

jonwoody and Slippers-on like this.
  8. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Awesome. You are a discerning listener so I hope folks take notice. Thank you for your ongoing narrative relative to your experience with this amp.

jonwoody and avanti1960 like this.
  9. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

Great thread: I, too, have enjoyed living vicariously through your break-in! Congratulations and happy listening!

10. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Hope this gets better for you. Harshness hasn't even entered the picture with my M2 clone, even from the off - though it was soak-tested a lot by the builder. It does have a see-through-ness though that won't flatter stuff.

avanti1960 and fully_articulated like this.
  11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Agreed. I think the XA25 is better sounding than there bigger units.
    It's not unusual for one of the the smaller amps in a line to have the best sound, sweetest midrange etc. Krell's KSA50, Mark Levinson's 334 come to mind.

12. jon tuna

jon tuna Forum Resident

Were the “tall boy” tubes installed as a direct preference for the Parasound?

13. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Hard to say, they’re the only ones I’ve used. When I get the SRs I’ll report back. Hoping the SRs give that little bit of “magic” that I’m missing.

Altho it still sounds super excellent. Just when I go to the 300B SETs + Titus monitors (nearfield setup) there’s an “Ahhhhhhh …” that I don’t quite get with the other. I know, 300Bs and tube friendly mini monitors can be magical.

14. avanti1960

yes, the tall boy sylvania 6SN7GTAs sounded better with the a21+ than the short bottles did.

15. timind

timind phorum rezident

I've always felt it's easier for an amp builder to get the best sound by using only two output transistors per channel. Once you start using more transistors, you need perfect component matching or you muddy the sound. It's possible, but takes a lot of care. IMHO of course.

jonwoody and Tim 2 like this.
  16. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

Small, unnecessary elaboration/amplification: The 331 (100 watts/channel) was actually the smallest amp in the line, but it was the gen 1 product. I had one and regret selling it (and the Aerial 10Ts that it drove). Was a fabulous amp. The 334 was the gen2 version of the 331 and had 125 watts/channel and supposedly a definite upgrade over the 331.

I'd love to hear the XA25 and the XA30, but I'm pretty happy with my JC-5!

Dignan2000, Rick58, timind and 3 others like this.
  17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Correct.
    I owned the 20.6's, 332, 335, 431, and 532H. All good stuff.

Remember the old adage, " power corrupts, the more power the more corruption. " Can't say if it's true every time as some companies claim there reference amp/product is there biggest. :shrug:

jonwoody likes this.
  18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Absolutely agree. :righton:

timind and jonwoody like this.
  19. avanti1960

NOT HAPPENING !

Dignan2000, asilker, rem 600 and 3 others like this.
  20. effula

effula Forum Resident

Like others have said, thanks for sharing your break-in experience! Glad things are working out! Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the XA25 compared to your previous Rogue Stereo 100.

avanti1960 and aorecords like this.
  21. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Never say never! I went back to tube amps...but in a different way. I was pairing a XA30.8 with my VAC Ren MKV preamp and became seduced by the impactful, textured, airy 3D holographic presentation of a tube SET and triode circuit tube designs. While not as incisively quick as SS there is just something very seductive to my tastes. At least as a main amp or two. My main two amps now are a Line Magnetic 805ia and Luxman MQ-88uC. The Pass was dang nice though....for sure.

avanti1960, Tim 2 and timind like this.
  22. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

oh, its happening!
    nothing will remove the sweet tube magic that a full tube amp can muster.
    all attempts will fail :p

no but for real, this shouldnt even be a debate. SS do things that tube just cannot and vice versa. the best plan is to have both a SS amp and a tube amp imo. thats what I do and when I listen to jazz or acoustic I fire up the tube amp. when I listen to electronica I fire up the SS.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    rem 600, Benzion, Rick58 and 6 others like this.
  23. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I agree...that hybrid sound is hard to beat!

avanti1960 and KT88 like this.
  24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Possible, for all of us.
    Don't know about a year but I heard a friends Audio Research amp that knocked the socks clean off of me. :yikes:

avanti1960 likes this.
  25. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

With all this said, I do like having a Class A SS amp in the house...in my case a SugdenA21SE which has better synergy with my DeVore's than my Pass amp did. But they are certainly reminiscent of one another. No doubt, if I'm cranking up "Blue Monday" by New Order it's gonna sound so much tighter with way more low-end grip using the SS amp!

avanti1960 likes this.