Passive Preamp with remote and phono stage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cyclistsb, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harby

harby Forum Resident

2. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. harby

harby Forum Resident

I don't think we have the technology to run tubes or boost phono by 40dB with RIAA EQ passively yet...

You plug your tubey phono pre into this, or get a normal preamp.

4. cyclistsb

Actually they do exist...see previous posts...just that one is absurdly expensive.

5. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Given what people have posted so far, I don't think you're going to find a solution that isn't absurdly expensive.

displayname likes this.
  6. cyclistsb

Appreciate the feedback, this is why I posted to find out if I was looking for a unicorn.

7. martin0820

martin0820 Forum Resident

You may be thinking of the Precision Fidelity C7 / C7A / C7A Revised preamp. It had a tube phono stage nothing between the volume pots and the output jacks. It was sold in the early through mid 1980s. They come up for sale every so often. Obviously, no remote control.

They have (especially the Revised) attained cult status...

TarnishedEars likes this.
  8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Yep, that is the one I was thinking of.

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Rogue Audio RH-5 has a linestage that can be set to only 3db gain. It has the option of including a very nice phono stage internally as well.

[​IMG]

Products_RH5.htm
    -Bill

10. cyclistsb

Thanks! It still seems on par with my Modwright LS-100 at this price point. But appreciate the suggestion!

hi_watt likes this.
  11. cyclistsb

Remote control critical, lots of gear without remotes in this space. The remotes are rare in the passive arena for some reason.

12. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

The remote control is the tough bit. Otherwise, a (rather rare, these days) McCormack TLC-1 with the built-in phono stage would do the trick. Even an ALD-1 since it can be either active or passive, your choice. I actually let a TLC-1 with built-in phono stage get away many years ago. Still kick myself for that one.

But on the subject of the Saga? Don't let the price fool you. I have one here, and with a good tube (Ken Rad black, Sylvania, or Rad-Tel) it is an exceptional bit of kit, not even "for the money." It's a transparent piece of gear that can be "tuned" with a tube. Not sure what's not to like. No, it doesn't have a phono stage in it but considering what it could be up against, you'd have plenty left in the budget to stick a nice phono stage into it.

Let's face it - "passive" means input selection, a decent power supply, and volume control. That set of features really doesn't have to cost a lot to perform well.

bever70 and 33na3rd like this.
  13. cyclistsb

But I guess I want to add tubes too....that can get pricey

14. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The Saga can be run as a true passive (with remote), or as a buffered passive (which adds a Tube buffer stage). The tube is strictly optional and may be switched out of the circuit if you don't want to use the buffer.

Also, if Tubes are not your thing at all, Schiit recently introduced a SS version of the Saga with the same features, only it contains an optional SS buffer instead.

Don't let the price fool you. These are really nice sounding units which punch way above their weight class.

bever70, 33na3rd and Wasabi like this.
  15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Well, it has only about 1/4 the gain of yours, which is what you seemed to be asking for. Plus it has two other gain settings for use when you want more. There is a user here @avanti1960 who has one in his system. He'd probably be glad to share his thoughts on its sound.
    -Bill

16. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

Back in the day the Audio Research SP11 took a lot of beating for SQ. Old school excellence, no remote, no passive pre

17. cyclistsb

I actually was able to contact Dan and lowered the gain of the LS-100 to about 6db. Thanks for the heads up!

18. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I've had the RH-5 as a linestage for about two months now and the sound is fantastic ! Transparent and extremely dynamic and super large sound stage.
    I do not use the headphone section. It has balanced outputs and coupled to a balanced amplifier the dynamics and sound is a significant upgrade from using the RCA cables.
    It has three gain settings, 3, 12 and 16 db. I wound up using the 12 db setting for my Rogue Audio Stereo 100 power amplifier. I also used it with a Cary Audio solid state amplifier and it sounded spectacular as well. An excellent transparent, high driving preamp.

toddrhodes likes this.
  19. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Trying to assemble my hassle free audiophile retirement system...the RH5 is on my list.

avanti1960 likes this.
  20. avanti1960

one thing i love about it is the mute switch! brush the stylus, no problem!
    also very easy to tube roll, just 2 12au7 tubes.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  21. cyclistsb

Do you also have the integrated phono preamp?

22. avanti1960

No, I have an outboard phono preamp.

23. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

I had one of those a few years back. My current Hovland HP-100 mc is better in every conceivable way.

24. Keith Beddard

Keith Beddard Forum Resident

Take a look at the Manley Steelhead V2: Manley Steelhead® RC Phono Stage — Manley Laboratories, Inc.

It is a tube based phono stage that has a remote volume control and can be used directly into whatever power amp you want, without an additional pre-amp. Also has an extra line input if you need. If you hunt around a bit, you might find one used at a decent price.

25. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Bespoke Audio Corporation makes high end passive preamps with remotes. No phono tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.