Passive speakers or studio monitors

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AudioMike33, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

If you're thinking of adding another DAC in future, give some thought to the Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digital. £300 and has the latest Sabre DAC, 32-bit DSD, it's Roon ready and sounds like an absolute steel. Just bought the Roksan K3, but this was on the list too.

Box-Design Pre Box S2 Digital

bmoregnr and AudioMike33 like this.
  2. AudioMike33

AudioMike33 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Sounds very nice that's in the UK after order from the UK?

3. Brother_Rael

Have a look for dealers in the US, the price ought to be about the same. They're distributed over there as a company so somebody near should stock the range.

4. AudioMike33

Read the reviews and I also found where to buy that dac you recommended it sounds very very good it's about four hundred US dollars.

I was watching a Steve Guttenberg video about DSD DSD really hasn't caught on and I'm wondering if I'm making too big of a deal out of a something that doesn't play DSD.

He's basically saying there are no real bands or musicians that are dedicated to recording in DSD original DSD where it's not sent through PCM and and down sampled and all that crap.

I think it's not dead but it doesn't really look like it's going anywhere maybe I shouldn't worry about DSD. I should concentrate on Flac I do have a recording that in Flac that is 382/24 that sounds incredible. I guess you learn something everyday very interesting Hobby.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Brother_Rael likes this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I wondered whether this exact sceneario would take place at the end of the day. You start out with something that doesn't entirely convince you, but end up choosing it after comparing with the other stuff around (been there, done that). I own a vintage receiver and vintage amp (see my profile) My receiver (1979) is a 20 kg behemoth, wooden case and massive cast Al front. Every knob is plastic but for the volume and tuner ones. My amp (1982) has anall-metal case with Al front, volume, bass and treble, and 3 rotary selectors, but the power and 6 or 7 other pushbuttons are plastic. Would I like them to be all-metal ? Damn right I would ! But these are the things I could afford, and I had to buy used. You can buy new. I can totally relate to your experience, but would totally be OK with having to put up with plastic knobs on a new Yamaha. The knobs are cheap-feeling, but functional; a lot of posters on this board own amps from this line and there has not been one report of malfunction or wearing off of the knobs. Just saying; not trying to convince you. They too put up with the issue. The Yam is not the hottest girl at the ball, but it's girlfriend material;)

After all, I myself wouldn't own that amp. I use 3 signal processors that need a tape monitor; do you see any on the Yam ? I couldn't hook up my sub to it because I couldn't live with a fixed 80 hz output. The Outlaw, OAH, would be just what the doctor ordered feature-wise.

But for what you request ? Ideal ! It's practically a one-box solution, with great sound, and tone controls (even loudness is a midrange attenuator really; will come in handy to tame harshness on those less-than-perfect recordings) I'm not a Yamaha rep. I do suggest people to try Klipsch, right, just not when they clearly don't go for either that kind of sound presentation or speaker format.

I used to own this beauty :

[​IMG]

Only the flywheel , the bottom and the lid were metal, the rest was all plastic. But it sounded awesome. I traded it only because it was just 35wpc and I needed more juice.

So in the abscense of a full glass of water, I see two viable options :

Glass half full
    Glass half empty

:righton::wave:

AudioMike33 likes this.
  6. AudioMike33

Dude I love that line she's not the most beautiful at the ball but she's girlfriend material I freaking love that.

Yeah I'm circling back around the Yamaha fits the bill for everything it's got a better DAC than the outlaw I guess my crazy plastic fetish freaking got me.

The Outlaws no slouch though its a beautiful machine. And guess what more than likely the outlaw those are plastic knobs I'm starting to find out most of them are plastic I think when you're in my price range you're not going to get metal and maybe have something I have to deal with.

Wow I love those old vintage answer stereo receiver to show their I member that stuff from way back classic.

Yeah I think I'm learning some valuable lessons in purchasing audio.

I can't wait to get everything set up for myself a nice glass of wine and just listen to my music I'm so looking forward to that day.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    The Pinhead likes this.
  7. Mr Bassie

Mr Bassie Back for more

There is no perfect piece of gear. Everything is a compromise.

8. AudioMike33

I fully agree with that statement

9. Brother_Rael

Very true. It's not just DSD and there are many decent DACs out there for throwaway money. You can spend $50 or you can spend $5000 (and a whole lot more). You just need to cover your wants off in a list, set, and keep to, a budget, then...have some fun with all. :)

AudioMike33 and The Pinhead like this.
  10. AudioMike33

Yeah you can spend crazy ridiculous amounts of money on dacs.

My buddies DAC the topping D50 if using the same chip as the DAC you recommended my buddies DAC cost $250 the one you're recommending is 400 US dollars so they're fairly close but the one that you're recommending I think has a few more features.

It's time to make a list tonight of what I want and what I need and just start eliminating stuff it's time to start purchasing stuff I got to make a list tonight and that's it and just go with it.

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. AudioMike33

Just ordered the outlaw, took a while but I ordered it.

Have another question for all you audio heads is anybody in here tried building their own speakers like buying a kit I heard some of them sound pretty good weren't anybody gone down that road like I'm talking high and not some $150 kit.

I'd like to try it I've been woodworking for 25 years I could build absolutely killer speaker boxes as good as any company can build them if I could just get some good speakers and put it I'd love to try that looking for any feedback if anybody is going down that road.

12. Mr Bassie

Mr Bassie Back for more

Go to diyaudio.com a forum where you will find tons of info and designs. You can absolutely build killer speakers for much cheaper than buying. But use a proven design.

AudioMike33 likes this.
  13. AudioMike33

Thank you I've never even heard of that site I'm going to check it out.

14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Yes diyaudio for sure.

AudioMike33 likes this.
  15. AudioMike33

Thanks for diyaudio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.