Passive speakers or studio monitors

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AudioMike33, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

If you aren’t going to do hi res discs, maybe consider dropping the CD player (just burn them to files), maybe an integrated amp without a dac, and then put that money along with the unspent vinyl money (which is a smart starting move) and put those dolllars into a midshelf dac. Dacs when designed as such can really tailor digital audio nicely. So combined with a fairly neutral Yamaha or NAD integrated, and some KEF, ELAC or Klipsch (maybe a bit more sparkle) speakers you’d get a nice setup. Next step somewhere in the future would be a renderer/server to feed your dac with nice phone/pad control (keeping a computer out of it) and then you’d have your digital down pat with time and money to spend on vinyl further down the line if you’re still inclined.

2. AudioMike33

AudioMike33 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

That's a very real possibility I could just get an amp and buy a nice DAC which I know a few very nice dacs in the $350 range they have Optical in coaxial in RCA in and out I may consider that.

Almost all of my stuff is in Flac form or DSD so technically I really don't even need a CD player I could just get a nice amp a nice DAC and nice speakers skip the vinyl and have a nice source to play my Flac files done.

Although that Yamaha that I'm looking at kind of accomplishes the DAC in the amp all in one sounds like it's got a pretty damn good DAC in it.

Lots to consider.

The Pinhead and bmoregnr like this.
  3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

$2K is a lot of money. I think for that kind of money someone can get excellent sounding gear, if they don't try to do too much. I'm not a big fan of cheap turntables -- they deliver a lot of mechanical noise along with the music -- and I don't think cheap vintage turntables are necessarily great or a great situation for a newbie given the lack of support, the need to really understand condition when you're buying them, and the maintenance or restoration work they might require. But a grand for some good active speakers, and a preamp/DAC. Or $700 or $800 on a good integrated, $300 on a decent DAC, and and $500-$700 on speakers, then if he still needs a disc spinner maybe $200 on an Onkyo 7030 that can feed the DAC or be used straight, he can have an excellent sounding system with room to grow with adding a second source like a turntable but without having to race to upgrade everything else. To me that's a better way to spend the money than getting more stuff that doesn't sound as good, especially when it comes to turntables.

bever70 and The Pinhead like this.
  4. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

I would look at a NAD C368. The amp is a bit spartan, but it is incredibly clean and hard to beat at twice the price.
    NAD C 368

I would definitely get the BluOS module.The BluOS module allows you to stream CD/DVDs that you have ripped, from your local PC, as well as Hi-Res downloads with incredible playback quality. It also supports the major streaming services like Tidal, Spotify and Amazon.
    NAD MDC BluOS 2

Speakers are a bigger question as they are much more subject to your own personal taste. I would look for a set of bookshelf speakers. They won't have the low bass of floor standing speakers but you will get much better and cleaner performance in the mids and highs for your money. You can always add a subwoofer(s) later.

I would look at Martin Logan LX 16 bookshelf speakers while they are still available. They were replaced by a new model that is functionally identical, but is twice the price.
    https://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-...88&sr=8-3&keywords=martin+logan+lx16+speakers

Or maybe some Wharfedale Diamond 225s. I have not spent any real time with them, but everyone seems to really like them. :)
    Wharfedale Diamond 225 (Walnut Pearl)

You should have enough left to get some good speaker cables and stands (if you need them).

Eurofan and AudioMike33 like this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

That's why I'd personally skip the TT if I were in the OP's shoes, which he mentioned he'd do in the end. So, the Yammie 801 eliminates the need for a DAC, leaving him with plenty of money for a decent CD player and speakers. I really don't see the point in a standalone DAC unless he goes for an amp that hasn't got one.

Sure, a vintage TT could still be found in way better condition 20 years back (when I acquaired my current one) than nowadays; I really hadn't taken that into account, and they certainly ask and an arm and a leg for the ones in great condition ( at least locally, ) so fair point like usual.

And if I weren't hellbent on physical formats like I am, I'd go FLAC only without hesitation and concentrate the resting 1200 bucks on killer speakers. The OP (age unknown) seems to want to dip his toes in physical format collecting, but convenience might make his mind change. Ultimately it will boil down to whatever gives him the more satisfaction. And indeed 2K is a lot of dough:agree:; one format at a time is the way to go IMHO, although I can understand the I-want-it-all-and-I-want-it-now mindframe (who doesn't ?:laugh:)

cheers bro:righton::wiggle:

AudioMike33 and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. ledzepp

ledzepp Forum Resident

If you are new, I strongly recommend active (powered) speakers because it frees you from having to match amp/speaker.

You can then focus on otherbparts of your audio chain, like your source and DAC.

I suggest getting a “simple” active speaker (built-in amplifier only) that does not have a built-in DAC, such as the Audioengine A5+. This is because DACs are always evolving.

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I use Quad 9as actives, which I bought for half price 18 months ago. They come with an on-board DAC that's also used in the Elite series gear. Normally £699, you might find a pair NOS on a great deal. Caveat: the tweeter needs a LOT of run in time. In the end though, they are very, very worth it.

Digital sources are many, but I use a dedicated Leema Stream CD player, a Cambridge 752BD universal player for Blu-ray and hi-res discs, and a 4TB Western Digital external hard drive that goes via my Roksan DAC and a Tisbury passive amp for the selection options and inputs.

Can you this for £2k? Yup.

Shop savvy, find the discounts, check your return options (make sure there are some) and you'll do it. If I was shopping again, this would be where I'd look:-

KRK Rokit 5 $300/pair (check pricing, actives are often priced per speaker, not per pair)

Yamaha WXC-50 preamp/DAC $350

WD 4TB external hard drive ($120?)

Onkyo CN7050 CD Streamer - $650

There are heaps of options ultimately and partly, it depends on your needs. I want a flexible system, so while music is the important thing, I still want to hear Radio 4 and the Today programme coming off the Sky satellite service. So you have options...

AudioMike33 likes this.
  8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

It is probably the case where you’d need to spend a decent amount on an outboard dac to make a difference unless the dac has a particular signature I’d guess. I don’t have a ton of experience with dacs but the Ayre convinces me it can be the lynchpin of a system. In this case it seems smartest to start with the amp’s dac, feed it files, and get the best speakers you can. Then any outboard dac could be explored for value for money later; and whatever else happens, including an amp upgrade, you’d have nice speakers to match.

9. AudioMike33

The Marantz HD amp1 is now in the running with the Yamaha for my amp.

I'm not going to buy a separate DAC I don't see the point I don't see the point do Yamaha or the Marantz amp although the Marantz looks a little bit bet it's more money it's another hundred dollars but it has a lot more inputs and it seems better I'm heavily leaning towards the Marantz HD amp1 which would leave me $1,000 for speakers.

10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Stealth 8

Check them out! I’ve been super happy in my smallish to medium sized family room.

11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I’d check what digital inputs each has. Asynchronous USB hopefully. Next are there any resolution limits on one vs the other. I’d probably throw NAD into the mix just to check it’s price/capabilities, but I doubt you’d go terribly wrong with any of those all else equal.

12. AudioMike33

Driver ants is loaded with Optical coaxial and USB input as far as the capabilities of each one what type of resolution I'll get on the files I don't know if it lists that but I'm going to have to check into that. The Marantz seems like it's worth the extra money over the Yamaha.

13. The Pinhead

35wpch ?!:cry: Get the Yamaha man !!!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    AudioMike33 likes this.
  14. AudioMike33

You know what it's got way better inputs than the Yamaha but you're right 35 Watts 4 channel is pretty weak.

The Pinhead likes this.
  15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Only in the interest of trying to help, what inputs are better and how so?

16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Before he was The Pinhead, he was known in these parts as Waxfreak.

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. AudioMike33

The Marantz has four USB inputs two Optical inputs Yamaha the Yamaha has one Optical input and one USB input.

The Marantz is $150 more and is rated at 35 watts per Channel but it does play higher gigahertz DSD files than the Yamaha.

18. AudioMike33

Was just listening to the kef speakers at Best Buy play some pretty damn good and the salesman I was talking to says I should stick with vinyl he says vinyl sounds way better than digital Flac files in his opinion but after reading around the internet I'm guessing that's Up For Debate he says vinyl has details that digital does not have.

19. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

To OP, an audio file is not the same thing as an audiophile.:cop:

Aren't most studio monitors intended for near field listening?
    Is that what you want to do?

20. AudioMike33

I just found the Yamaha as801 amp in Black for $649 brand new only problem is I want the silver one it's $250 more do I just accept the black and save 250 bucks.

I just listened to the elac debut 2.0 speakers for $275 to $180 a pair they sound pretty freaking damn good for 280 bucks actually they sound amazing for 280 bucks I was shocked how good they sound it.

But I still want the kef r300

21. The Pinhead

Yes, and I still love and play my vinyl, but I haven't bought another slice of wax in 18 months, due to prices skyrocketing. A band I'm friends with released a 7¨with one song per side, and priced it U$ 10 !!! Didn't buy it. Now another band I love and am friends with is releasing a 7¨Ep, which I might or not buy.

bever70, AudioMike33 and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. The Pinhead

I personally would pay the extra 250 because I grew up with silver components and love them (oh the 70s-80s). Only my CD player and equalizer are black because they just weren't imported in silver when I got them in '95, and I still hate their color. But saving 250 is tempting. Your move. Oh, and unless your room is very small, the 35wpc Marantz is, as The Hulk would say, ¨puny¨. Maybe if you're into elevator music, or get extremely efficient speakers (not the Elacs) it won't rock your world. Give Polk, JBL and Klipsch a listen as well if you can.

AudioMike33 and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I think this is the route to go - seriously. Make this initial investment in really good, solid essentials and then save up for a vinyl setup that can match up with the system you already will have in place.

The Pinhead likes this.
  24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That salesperson needs to hang around this forum for awhile, there is plenty of good sounding well mastered digital abound and well cheaper to accomplish than its vinyl brethren. Keep your eyes on the prize and skip the cheap vinyl setup stage.

AudioMike33 and The Pinhead like this.
  25. AudioMike33

I love the silver to the silver is just sweet looking 250 plus no tax is tempting I'm actually going to save about 300 I'm on the fence it's a tough one do I just suck it up and drop 300 more and be probably happier or do I invest the 300 in the something else and just live with the black it's a tough call.

Obviously if it was $100 it's a no-brainer I get to Silver 300 and change makes it difficult.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.