Passive speakers or studio monitors

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AudioMike33, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

If it has pre-out inputs you can. But which powered speakers and do you mean active or powered? There's a fundamental difference between the two that goes beyond needing a mains lead.

2. AudioMike33

AudioMike33 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

JBL 306 P powered studio monitors.

3. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I really enjoy my combination of a Jolida Musical Envoy tube preamp w obviously solid state Mackie 824 active studio monitors.

AudioMike33 and bmoregnr like this.
  4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

No, if you're going to run powered speakers, you don't need or want a receiver or integrated amp -- the power amp sections of those combo units will not be used, and, unless the device has a preamp out, you won't even be able to use the receiver or integrated with powered speakers. With powered speakers the amplification is in the speakers, you're not using outboard amplification from an amp or receiver or integrated. You would plug a line level signal from a source or preamp into the powered speakers, not attach the powered speakers to the speaker posts of an amp/integrated or receiver. No reason to pay for an integrated or receiver or amp if you're not going to use its amp/output section.

5. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

If you are going powered monitors why would you need the amp, or are you talking about a second set of speakers? If just the one set, you could get something like the Schitt Jotunheim with the DAC option then do that balanced into the powered monitors; not a lot of versatility but if you are going all files it is basically all you need I think.

Based on my experience with the Focal Shapes alone, for about your budget I'd suggest to someone if they want just a way to play files fast and well that Jotunheim and some Focal Alphas, even the 80s get you under budget. They are class AB which is nice.

6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Curious, in our quest for power, we seem to often be overlooking the power supply?

bever70 likes this.
  7. AudioMike33

Okay I understand about the powered monitors now basically they're their own source of power and amplification you just needed a source or fed through a DAC into them.

Most powered studio monitors are class D amps correct? So going through a Class A / B amp is going to give you cleaner sound I believe the Yamaha the class A Class B.

Sorry still trying to learn all this stuff.

bmoregnr likes this.
  8. AudioMike33

The jotunheim is a good option for $500 there's one small problem with the DAC that comes with it it will not play DSD files.

bmoregnr likes this.
  9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Don't quite get it. You want your speakers to be powered as well, in order to be able to eventualy use them without the amp ? I'd go for either the Yammie+passives or just powered, otherwise your budget will colapse.

10. The Pinhead

I know right ? Some recordings make the meter stay at the 80w mark for the duration of it in order to achieve my desired volume, while others are around just one watt for the same volume. Go figure. And I never reach noon on the vol knob. More like 10 o' clock. Bear in mind I listen to a lot of brickwalled extreme genres, which are usually the culprits.

11. AudioMike33

No I don't want powered monitors I was just wondering how they work I didn't know they were that their own little amp and you can just hook directly up to them I'm still going Yamaha I'll be buying the black one today for $650 I'll just deal with the color I want silver but for $300 I will live with black.

12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Way to keep an eye out for details; you’re doing exactly what you need to do question wise.

13. The Pinhead

Down here the silver ones are way more expensive as well. They are advt as ¨for the internal japanese market¨ but I guess the're all made at the same factory. Even motorcycles are resorting to paint matte black what used to came in chrome. Fashion or maybe it's cheaper to make ? Dunno.

If you get just the amp and speaker as you plan you'll stay whithin your budget. Get the eye candy, thank me later. I never thought I'd end up with black speakers, but the rep decided not to offer us any color choices in Argentina. Thankfully my wife thinks they ¨dissapear¨ (blend with decor) in our living room; oh well.

14. AudioMike33

Would be awfully nice to look at that silver unit $300 more ahhh hard to do.

The Pinhead likes this.
  15. AudioMike33

Have you ever heard of buchard company in Denmark I hear nothing but rave reviews about these speakers free shipping you can keep them for 45 days if you don't like him free shipping back.

Buchart 300 is the model number I believe.

16. The Pinhead

Never, ever.

17. AudioMike33

Buchardt audio Google it you'll find nothing but rave reviews about it I'm very tempted on these speakers just to check them out got nothing to lose.

S300. $1200 plus the Yamaha amp I'm all in for two grand I'm going to order them I got nothing to lose I've heard so many good things about them if I don't like him after 45 days they will ship them back to Denmark for free.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  18. The Pinhead

Return him ? Do they come with a dude ?:laugh:

Nah, seriously, the frequency response they claim doesn't seem possible for 6¨ woofers. And they're power-hungry bookshelves (88db) YIKES !!:rolleyes: Free overseas return ?! :biglaugh:What's the catch ?:help: Get decent, muscular, efficient floorstanders like these and be done with it :

R-26F Floorstanding Speaker | Klipsch

19. AudioMike33

Dude you got to read the reviews go to Z reviews on YouTube and read the review he gave on them somehow they got the frequency response that low yes they shipped them free to America and if you don't like him after 45 days they'll pay for the shipping back to Denmark.

Now you're worrying me

It's between those Denmark speakers or the kef r300.

Sorry I'm talking into my phone through Google it misspells a lot of words misinterprets words.

The Pinhead likes this.
  20. The Pinhead

Good luck with ¨him¨then. Now YOU're worrying me. Let's see what the board has to say. Smells of euro white van over here:laugh:

21. AudioMike33

Your funny man. Seriously I think they're going to be really good it's all legit man to real company it's real thing I'm going to give it a go.

22. The Pinhead

Youtube...............huhmm. If you like them, why not ? It's your call. Just don't expect any kind of high volume with those sensitivity specs. 88 is way too low; you'll be cranking tha s...t outta yer Yammie

23. The Pinhead

Oh I see; sorry about the joke then. Google seems to be mixing up pronouns for you.

24. AudioMike33

Oh oh so those speakers are really power-hungry are you saying the Yamaha was not enough for them?

They also have a 10 year warranty but if you don't think the Yamaha can drive them I'm not going to get them I don't want to have to turn my Yamaha volume dial to 4 o clock just to hear them

25. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The 801 will be fine I think. 88db isn't a difficult load - 82db maybe. I had Mission 752s, 89db and ran them with a 30w Sansui 217. Never a hitch.

bever70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.