Pat Metheny Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really don’t see another PMG album happening. I think Mays simply had enough and that’s why he left in the first place. He wanted to do other things. I mean I don’t mean to so cynical about it, but I don’t really blame Mays one bit, especially since, at the end of the day, he’s doing what he wants to now and isn’t on a demanding touring schedule.

Splungeworthy likes this.
  2. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

No one play the guitar like Pat Metheny, my favorite guitarist. My best friends father turned me on to San Lorenzo back in '79 or so and Ive seen him play numerous times since. Love the club dates like 2016 at the NYC Blue Note at Roy Haynes 91st Birthday and I was lucky to catch three days at the Blue Note in Dec 2014. The Yoshi's gigs in Oakland with Gary Burton, Steve Swallow and Antonio were really a treat

laf848 likes this.
  3. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Just bough tix to see Pat yet again in 2020.

4. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I LOVE Pat metheny , he puts out an album i buy it , got into him the Day secret story was released , I was always into Rock music but always read about pat in Guitar mags etc. & just a took a chance picking up that album in the new release rack , took me a bit to "get it" but then i started buying everything i could ............... I love most of it , the only one i don't like is "zero tolerance for silence" I get what he was going for but it's not for me ............. seen him live many times over the last 25 years from clubs to theaters to bigger outdoor venues , always Amazing ....

as for those asking about new music , i hung with pat for a bit about a year ago & at that point he had maybe 4 albums ready but as mentioned earlier in this thread until music streaming starts paying out or there is a another way of doing it all he's done for now ............ once something fair comes along he's back in ............. I too am Highly bummed but i get it .

Chris52, CybrKhatru and laf848 like this.
  5. jwjeffrey

jwjeffrey Hard working and Honest!

I love the first incarnation of the Pat Metheny Group with Mark Egan And Danny Gottlieb. Have the Albums up to the first live one and the one after that.When he started to add vocalists to his group I lost interest.I would love to see him get back together with Egan and Gottlieb as a trio thing.

6. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

Appreciate? Emphatic yes! I think he’s a genius. His compositions are so lyrical and the longer pieces like Kin are ambitious. He’s done Reich and Zorn. Besides all the different group settings there’s Orchestrion. What an imaginative and bold move.

7. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

OMG, I went to that show in Ann Arbor at the Hill Auditorium. It was not what I expected, abstract? Coming out I heard a woman say "I would rather drink a bottle of Jack Daniels and puke than sit through that."

Everybody is a critic.

I am a big fan, especially of the earlier works. I saw him early 80's (?) and couldn't believe how fluid his hand and finger motions were and how many notes he played and never a clunker.

I lived in Atlanta back then and another time had a choice between seeing Pat at a smaller club in Atlanta or Frank Zappa at The Fox.

I really enjoyed Frank.

8. Mirror Image

I think Metheny has been involved in some interesting projects, but I would have liked to hear him do more session work because compared to his contemporaries like Frisell and Scofield, he hasn’t done much.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  9. jaxpads

In the last few years we got the Cuong Vu and Gary Thomas projects.

Jimbino and Davidmk5 like this.
  10. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

There's a podcast in which Pat and Lyle discuss this incredible composition...look it up, listen to it and you'll realize again what a magnificent composer and pianist LM is :righton:.

11. Mirror Image

I’ll check it out, but I’ve always known Mays was a fantastic composer/pianist. As I may have said on this thread (or elsewhere on this forum), I believe Mays was a huge part of the PMG sound and when he stopped collaborating with Metheny is when I pretty much lost interest in what Metheny was doing. Metheny’s work post-PMG hasn’t really done much for me. I know many who like his Unity Band, but I don’t like Chris Potter’s playing, so, for me, there was already a bias against that particular group and I don’t ever see myself enjoying those recordings.

Comet01 and caupina like this.
  12. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Yep, that's where I fall off with Metheny myself. Lyle played a huge role when he was around. After that, imo the magic was gone.

caupina and Mirror Image like this.
  13. Mirror Image

I think just having Mays around inspired Metheny tremendously. I mean we wouldn’t have had 80/81 or Rejoicing if it wasn’t for the path he forged with Mays as his main collaborator. Metheny’s work with Mays is what really made his name, IMHO.

darkmage, Splungeworthy and caupina like this.
  14. ledzepp

ledzepp Forum Resident

Thanks for starting the thread — I’m a huge fan of Pat Metheny.

Now if only ECM would re-issue all his albums on SACD :wave:

Mirror Image likes this.
  15. Mirror Image

That would be nice. So far, the PMG self-titled album, Bright Size Life, Offramp, and Travels have been released on hybrid SACD.

caupina likes this.
  16. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

There are 4 albums on SACD, japanese editions..."Offramp", "Travels", the white album and "Bright Size Life"

ledzepp and Mirror Image like this.
  17. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I really like the self-titled album from 1978. Faultless album. I think I like the Pat Metheny Group the best of all.

a big shout out to Offramp, American Garage, Still Life Talking and Travels (live).

Splungeworthy, Davidmk5 and jwjeffrey like this.
  18. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Wow. I find that shocking.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  19. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

First album I've heard: "As Wichita Falls, So Falls Wichita Falls,
    Favorite Albums: " As Wichita Falls, So Falls Wichita Falls" and "Offramp."

Davidmk5 and garysb like this.
  20. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

First PM album I heard was Travels. It's still one of my favorites, but among the studio albums, I'd go with American Garage, As Falls Wichita So Falls Wichita Falls, Letter From Home, Secret Story, Question and Answer, We Live Here, The Way Up, and his two collaborative albums with Brad Mehldau. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but those are the ones I find myself reaching for most often.

21. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

He's talked about it in recent interviews as well , he just doesn't want to pay for the making of an album & lose on it or give it away ............ I hope he finds some means to release something soon , i miss getting new music from him .

robcar likes this.
  22. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Jimbino likes this.
  23. jaxpads

The collaboration with Sanchez may be the highlight of the later groups. I really think Kin might be worth another listen — pretty epic.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

jaxpads and Jimbino like this.
  25. Mirror Image

Yeah, Sanchez is an outstanding drummer for sure, but this isn’t enough for me to revisit Kin anytime soon.

But can’t Metheny deny the rights of streaming services from using any of his music if he owns it? I don’t think this should hinder him in releasing new music as there would be plenty of people who would buy it. I think he’s underestimating his fanbase.

Davidmk5 likes this.