Pat Metheny Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Here's the first eight songs a very typical set list of time from summer '89 (they rarely differed):

1. Phase Dance (Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays)
    2. Have You Heard (Pat Metheny)
    3. Every Summer Night (Pat Metheny)
    4. Change Of Heart (Pat Metheny)
    5. Better Days Ahead (Pat Metheny)
    6. Last Train Home (Pat Metheny)
    7. First Circle (Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays)
    8. Scrap Metal (Pat Metheny)

I've never heard of that kind of thing before. None of the first seven songs is anywhere near bludgeoning.
    Scrap Metal was usually the song they played after the band intros and announcements by Pat.

Are you sure you're not remembering a Song X concert?

AnalogJ likes this.
  2. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Pat has a new album coming out in February 2020.

3. HughMacpherson

HughMacpherson Forum Resident

That is a very good suggestion. Torn was touring with various collaborations line-ups around then. One with Bruford & Levein and another with Terry Bozio. He does have wild straggly hair too!!

4. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I don't think Torn plays 2,500 set venues.

5. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

It sure looked like Pat,

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You just can't trust member recommendations on here anymore! :laugh:

pbuzby likes this.
  7. StarThrower62

Pat said he left ECM due to the way Rejoicing turned out. He didn't want Manfred producing his albums anymore.

8. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Long-time listener to Pat. Saw the tour with Herbie Hancock. Love the ECM stuff. Post ECM it's been hit or miss for me. Some that I have really liked have been Imaginary Day, The Way Up, The 2 albums with Brad Mehldau, some of the Unity stuff. Liking the samples a lot from the upcoming album.

StarThrower62 likes this.
  9. StarThrower62

I bought the DVD at the show last March. Some pretty intense playing from Pat and the band. Gotta give it another viewing soon.

Roberto899 likes this.
  10. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

I was a big fan when Lyle Mays was in the group, not so much after that.

caupina likes this.
  11. StarThrower62

There was no after that as far as the PMG is concerned. The Way Up was the last thing they did. Everything else has been different Pat projects and bands. The PMG has ceased to exist for almost 15 years now. But I think Lyle is a great talent and they wrote a lot of great stuff together.

caupina and MikeManaic61 like this.
  12. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Hear, Hear. For some whatever reason whenever Lyle's was around, it brought the best out of PMG.

caupina and FillmoreGuy like this.
  13. StarThrower62

They could do all of the elaborate symphonic stuff with Lyle. He can play five keyboards at once. He has a lot of skill. And he can be just a great jazz piano player too.

caupina likes this.
  14. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I like the 2 cd Sessions a lot.

15. StarThrower62

That piece from the upcoming album sounds very cinematic. I wonder what the rest of the album sounds like?

16. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

No, it wasn't the Song X tour. No horns. Lyle had his keyboard cubicle set up right up front.

I understand that people find this hard to believe. I was as shocked as anyone. It was, as far as I know, a one-off and I have no idea why he chose that night to do it. So there's no reason to discuss it further unless someone was there or had a similar experience.

17. StarThrower62

Song X tour was in 1986 so that rules that out. I have a Metheny tour log for his entire career and Tucson '89 is on there. The date was July 24th. He recorded quite a few shows on that tour but not the Tucson gig. PMDB|The Pat Metheny DataBase

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I haven't heard the most recently posted piece yet, but the one I did hear also struck me as cinematic.

19. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Well that solves the mystery then. The OP mistook Torn for Metheny. Understandable, it was such a long time ago. Ok, my job here is done, I’m off.

20. StarThrower62

I bought Cloud About Mercury last year. Great album!

Roberto899 likes this.
  21. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I worked at the Electric Fetus in the Twin Cities when Zero Tolerance for Silence came out, it pretty much 'shipped gold, returned platinum' - we'd tell people flat out it's feedback all through, you might not like it - but they'd buy it anyway and then come back and complain.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  22. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

A handy CD to "get back" at lousy/noisy neighbors though! Point speakers at open windows facing your victim(s) house and blast away on repeat play as you drive off for the day to somewhere ....else:laugh:

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

:biglaugh:

24. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I can remember being warned off this album by my local shop when it was released. As I was short of funds at the time I took their advice. Even now I’ve never listened to this album!

25. Yakr

Yakr Forum Resident

Similarly I was in a record store when a very nice middle-aged lady picked up ZTFS. I presumed she was more of a Letter From Home kind of Metheny fan and strongly warned her off ZTFS. Although you never know, maybe she had a thing for avant-garde guitar wall-of-noise freakouts.....I'll never be sure.