Patrick Stewart to Reprise 'Star Trek' Role in New 'Star Trek Picard' Series*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 4, 2018.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Good news. I think Star Trek works much better as a series. Looking forward to this

2. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Another new series besides the garbage Discovery?

Oh and it's done by the same ***** who did Discovery? I'm out.

Daryl M likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree, but with a caveat. It works best as a series of standalone episodes, not as a single, continuous arc (which makes it a kind of long movie). It also needs writers that understand Trek.

budwhite likes this.
  4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

You can't expect these poor, long-suffering Trekkies to actually watch something that's new and different, can you?

David Campbell likes this.
  5. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Agreed.

6. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Somewhat excited, somewhat weary. I love Patrick Stewart and Picard is a wonderful character, but I hope they stick with a tone similar to TNG (more philosophical and based on ethical dilemmas) and don't turn Picard into Indiana Jones or something.

nosliw, Deesky and IronWaffle like this.
  7. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I'm really wondering what they have in mind for the character - I can't see how he'd fit in a ship/exploration setting. It's hard to imagine him as anything but the captain/central character, and that seems unlikely. And, it seems they'd have trouble with consistently interesting stories in a "he's the admiral" or "he's the ambassador" situation. Starfleet Intelligence? Nah. I've not seen any rumors/speculation about this until now.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You're assuming that the show will be episodic in nature, ie new story each episode. However, I think it's more than likely that the entire season will be one big arc and so his character would only be involved in a single story. If so, it would be easier to write, but also far less satisfying imo.

jtiner likes this.
  9. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

You'd think Star Fleet would retire Jean Luc with a promotion and put him in charge of the whole outfit...until his Borg half starts to show of course.

10. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I actually got goosebumps when Sir Patrick walked out on stage in that clip. Next Generation was an automatic watch for me during it's run. Just a really well done and thought out show with an excellent cast of characters.

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Do they feel they need a legacy character to reawaken people’s interest in Trek? I haven’t been following how well Discovery is doing, or being received by fans.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Oh don't be so cynical...remember years ago, when there was a Star Trek II....and just a couple years later, they all came back to watch Star Trek III! :eek:
    Pretty versatile, I'd say...;)

Gregory Earl and BeatleJWOL like this.
  13. Dillydipper

Discovery is doing just fine, from what I hear. It's mission...
    ...to attract viewers to CBS All Access.

marmalade166 likes this.
  14. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Call me cynical but... jeez, does anyone in that f**cking town have any original ideas left???

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

You’re cynical. :) But to answer your question, yes. If you look at the lineups for CBS All Access, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime, you’ll see that the original titles outnumber the sequels, reboots and remakes.

supermd, Gregory Earl and BeatleJWOL like this.
  16. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

No, that would be Discovery. Breaking new ground and providing a prolonged story arc that entertained watchers both new and old. Perhaps the most interesting stoyline in trek maybe ever. I can't imagine them doing anything with Patrick except one of these huge arcing storylines. I predict a mystery that involves him at some point in the story, probably 4 or 5 episodes in, taking over a starship with the crew not delighted about it, but eventually realizing that he is in his element.

BeatleJWOL and Encuentro like this.
  17. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

Thanks I can avoid that and Rod Stewart's new rubbish at the same time.:edthumbs:

18. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

It's so freeing to enjoy old friends trying new ideas and enjoying new things for what they are instead of hating them for what they are not.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  19. Dillydipper

I think it has something to do with the fear of getting important people to buy-into an original idea of your own...then the trauma that comes next.
    Too many people over-sell you as the Next Big Thing, trying to take credit for bringing your ingenuity into the fold.
    Too many people try to co-op your creativity by injecting their own ideas into your originality.
    Too many people try to "fix" the "problems" they see in your creation.
    Too many people hovering over you, rubbing their hands anxious to see you fail.
    And the worst lesson learned:
    Too many people in the audience that were never really all that ready for a fresh, new idea, because they were more hungry for the last big success.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They do - the original ideas have moved house to the streaming platforms (CBS-AA doesn't really count as so far it's a me-too attempt by a legacy network to break into the new streaming paradigm. What's more, Netflix money is behind the funding, at least it was for STD).

21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

This. I can't stress it enough; be the change you want to see in the world. Less whining about "why are there no original ideas anymore??" and more sharing of the original stories/films/media you DO find.

22. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

That complaint is common in this time of reboots and remakes, but doesn’t even apply here. This is an original and ambitious idea, taking a character from an ensemble almost two decades after we last him and putting him in a new premise and context. What about this is rehashed?

23. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

For me, Patrick Stewart has become Patrick Stewart; I'd prefer a new face.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Er, how is it an 'original and ambitious idea' to take a preexisting character and make him boldly go where he has gone before? It's just trading off a previously established (popular) character/property.

25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.