Patrick Stewart to Reprise 'Star Trek' Role in New 'Star Trek Picard' Series*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 4, 2018.

1. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I loved this episode, so many great scenes and call backs. A lot of great character moments, probably my favorite of the season so far.

marmalade166 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

It was great seeing Hugh again, and then there's the teaser for next week...

3. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

A solid episode with no funny business. Liked this one a lot!

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Better episode than the one before, that's for sure. Some of it was quite good.

Can we skip the addiction crap please? This is suppose to be Star Trek. We don't need to see that in a show like this.
    This is the Star Tek show that feels most dated, and it's not even through it's first season yet...

The Elnor character is hopeless. All I see is a a Tolkien rip off. And a really phony one, he is like a big child . Bad writing

5. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Wow, such a great episode, I was tearing up throughout. The scenes with Riker and Troi were fantastic, and Marina Sirtis probably gave her best ever performance as Troi (it helped that the writing was superb). The actress playing Kestra did a great job, and we finally got to see Soji expand on her part a bit. Seven of Nine is going to kick some butt next week. Can't wait to see what happens in the last three episodes.

sunspot42, CoryS, BeatleJWOL and 2 others like this.
  6. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Riker’s scenes were wonderful, particularly the “let me guess...” part.

Linger63 likes this.
  7. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

every episode of star trek that has Jonathan Frakes at the helm is worth watching, imo. Discovery, too.

Linger63 likes this.
  8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

"Nepenthe" was fabulous, probably the best of the series. I, too, really enjoyed the actress who played Kestra, Lulu Wilson. Frakes and Sirtis were really good too, but that's expected. Another actress who's been impressing my is Alison Pill as Dr. Jurati. She was particularly good in this past episode.

9. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

The new episode was great. It's always welcome to see Riker and Troi. The chemistry among the three is still there. Their daughter was awesome too. I hope we see more of them all again in the future.

I really like where this story is going.i wonder how many more episodes this season?

sunspot42 and Linger63 like this.
  10. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

She's only 15 and already very active. I predict big things for her if she keeps working.

JohnK

11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

It's just sooooo slow!

Shawn, Stuart S and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  12. Drew

Drew Senior Member

To Not So Boldly Go...

It took 4 episodes to figure out who the crew of the ship was which is unacceptable when you only have 10 episodes per season. For the life of me I can't remember the name of Rios' ship. At the beginning of episode 5 Dr Jurati was too timid to punch a hologram. At the end of the episode she killed her mentor/lover. I laughed out loud at that scene for it's ridiculousness.

The return of Riker and Troi in the most recent episode did nothing to further the story or the plot, other than to demonstrate that their daughter knows how to use a bow and arrow and a search engine, unlike the adults in the room.

I don't know if it's the worst thing ever associated with Star Trek, but it's definitely the most disappointing considering what I was hoping for. I'd stop watching, but I accept it for the comedy that it is.

Stuart S and daglesj like this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This is the sad part of Trek fandom, where the viewer places himself and his expectations at the forefront of the intent of the storyteller.

It does not pay to stand under the shower nozzle and shout at it, when you are the one who turned on the spigot. It the very least you could hold your objections until you step out, and have dried yourself off.

sunspot42, Taxman and smilin ed like this.
  14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

The responses write themselves:
    "All I was expecting was for it not to be stupid. TNG may have been [insert criticism here] but at least it wasn't [insert criticism here that the previous series also did]."
    The next level upon that is
    "Well just because Star Trek used to do stupid things occasionally doesn't mean that I can't be upset about Star Trek still occasionally doing stupid things now."

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. Dillydipper

So...which of the actual creators, mandated the results be, "stupid"? This is a criticism leveled by the viewer. i.e, the "consumer".

I don't recall a showrunner promising fans their intent is to be, "stupid". I don't see stars or publicity professionals working hard to tease the upcoming "stupidity" as a factor in what they were doing. This is just a description coming from a fanbase that had other expectations, not any actual professional, employee or expert in the art of producing television, who is judging the work as such. In other words, they're pursuing the jobs they signed on to do, with the legal right they have to work in the medium that has the license to produce it, working under the owners of the franchise who have the motivation to create such entertainments...all of whom I'm guessing, have no plan or intent to create something with the result of being judged, "stupid".

So, Legally-Sanctioned Fanboy TM, once you have that license to do your chosen prosecution of the property that is within your right, and have amassed the talents, experience and position that places it within your purview to do so, I'll consider your opinions in context to the material that really is somebody else's job to do for now. Meanwhile, your choices are clear: consume, or choose not to. Any further than that, and I'm sure your charges of "stupid" or whatever other authoritative judgements you care to share, will be taken with all the due consideration you have earned in your current position of Arbiter Of All You Survey.

And good luck with that.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    sunspot42 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  16. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

So, basically the short answer is if new material of a franchise doesn't appeal to one's self (Star Wars,Star Trek,Dr. who, etc) that person isn't obligated to watch it,and if person continues to do so and dislike it,no one wants to hear said person complain endlessly about it as if the creators of said new material are obligated to please just them,and that perhaps it's healthier to bow out and let those that do enjoy the new material enjoy it without having to hear someone loudly complaining repeatedly for years upon years about it.

It's good sound advice. Sadly a lot of people within fandom can't and won't take said advice.

Taxman and AudioEnz like this.
  17. Dillydipper

No, that's your answer. I didn't put those words into your mouth.

I am implying however, that people whose salaries and livelihoods don't have nearly the time and energy invested in consuming entertainment, don;'t have as much riding on that as those whose gigs actually do.

I make a show; that's my job. I have the responsibility of reading the market, surveying the competition's product, targeting an audience, and doing my job as a member of the team, to produce the best show I can, that can gain the best audience I can assemble. Maybe the show is the showrunner's job, or the writer's job, or the actor's job; maybe the publicity of the show is the network's job, or the PR department's job, or any number of other media flacks whose part in that battle is assigned them. Maybe I can't be responsible for a plane crash in the news, causing the network to pull this week's show because it deal with a fictional plane crash. Or a stock market crash.

One thing for sure I know is, the guy in his living room who wanted to see more of this character, or expected the episode to be more like the comic book that was written for a totally different audience, or just hates the theme song or the wacky sidekick or the direction of the show...none of these things are under his control. He still gets to go to work at his job tomorrow, whether his show goes the way he likes it, or not. He's not out of a paycheck, or a layoff, or a lawsuit, because of whatever happened on that show he saw last night. So; if he's also got a podcast or a YouTube channel or a Teevee web forum where he has access to making his opinion known, and hopes to raise a ruckus that will change the way this years' storyline goes...he's not bloody likely to get his way. And, ya know what? He still gets his paycheck next week, and still has nothing to do with the cast, crew or creators who also get paid next week for disappointing him.

If the show's ratings go down, or FX loses market share to TBS, or an actor either renegotiates or loses his contract on account of what that show does, and how that affects the audience overall, well, that's the job of the showrunner, the network or the advertising departments of those organizations to make the necessary changes that will hopefully get the show back to the audience numbers they were hoping for. And they are the ones who get paid for that. So, that's on them. NOT the viewer. He still has a say in his future: POWER ON, watch the show, go to work the next day, make the salary...or, POWER OFF, read a book, go to work the next day, make the salary. But...that's kind of the only options for him.

So, if this Star Trek show has a black chick for a lead character, or that Star Trek show has the right captain, but his backstory doesn't gibe with they way you remember it from Star Trek: Way Back When, Season 3 Episode 12, that's kind of out of the viewer's hands, and you should fret less about that, and whether or not you get into work at your job tomorrow on time. Because that's where you get to make a difference.

But I do agree with you: sadly, a lot of people within fandom can't and won't take said advice.

18. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

That seems to be a problem with so many modern shows, where the first season is spent establishing characters and motivations. It’s getting better, but other than seeing familiar faces it’s been a slog. If it weren’t Star Trek: Picard I would have given up long ago.

I’m still not bonding with the new cast members and can’t even remember their names; Blond girl really annoys me. The brunette and the captain are mildly interesting. I’m not sure about the samurai guy, but he needs to lighten up. Even Hugh, who barely appeared in TNG, was more interesting than these people.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    daglesj and Stuart S like this.
  19. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I do like the female Romulan who is up to no good. Very foxy!

I keep laughing though at the ears they put on the Vulcan Commodore. She looked like Bugs Bunny.

20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Another good episode.
    Great to see Riker and Troi again.
    Frakes doesn't act much these days but he was real good.
    The kid had a greater impact on me than Soji has for the entire season. I really don't care much for her story.
    Picard is a weird man in his old age. Some of it is from bad writing. But on the whole, I liked him so much more in TNG

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Things are really picking up, excellent episode setting things up for a showdown on Soji's home planet and we also answer how long vinyl LPs last, at least four and a half centuries, although it looks like people still use crap decks in the future.

22. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Still very much enjoying this, and the pace. I also like the fact that the writers appear to appreciate the viewers intelligence, without excess exposition to make sure a point is hammered home.

JohnK

sunspot42, Dubmart and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I liked this episode a lot, although it has been getting some mixed reviews. Did the whole "We're gonna send you a fleet" thing seem a little fishy to anyone, like maybe it's not as cut and dried as it would seem. Also, anyone see that super quick flash of a "Data" style android during the ceremony on the planet? Wonder what that foretells. Is Seven gonna save the day using the cube at the end?

Dubmart and sharedon like this.
  24. ries

ries Forum Resident

each time they say "The Destroyer" in this episode, I think of:
    [​IMG]

25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The latest ep was good but quite a drop from the highs of the previous one. One part that bugged me was how easily 7 disconnected herself from controlling the Collective. The whole mythology around the Borg was built up decades ago and now someone could plug in to basically become the all powerful Queen and unplug from all of that power that easily? It was a three minute scene that could have easily been an episode....I thought it would have been a better scene if she refused to disconnect and Nanook or whatever his name is chopped the cables off with his sword.