Paul Buckmaster R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrAftershave, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

A very talented arranger. RIP

2. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

Thank you, Paul Buckmaster!

Davmoco likes this.
  3. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I hope I never have to listen to The Greatest Discovery with anyone else because it makes me cry every time. I had never heard it until I was a father of two young kids. The song kinda explains how the "discovery" happened in our family.
    I love it!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  4. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I recall being at a GoodWill shop looking through the records. I had seen Elton John's "Friends" soundtrack a dozen times before. But this day an older dude browsing the music with me saw me considering "Friends" and said there was some great arrangments by Buckmaster on it and that I should try it. I did...Best thrift store advice ever!

snowman872, TS582 and Hep Alien like this.
  5. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Turns out Buckmaster is the glue holding my collection together. Elton, Bowie, Stones, Carly Simon, Cohen, Jayhawks all played tonight in my home.

lightbulb, longdist01 and Hep Alien like this.
  6. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

Really shattered by this news. I was lucky enough to interview Paul, and through that, we became long-distance friends (we often talked via Skye and email). A lovely, talented man. I often said to him that he should write an autobiography, because who else had worked with Elton John, Miles Davis and David Bowie? Paul and my wife shared the same birthday, and this year, he sent her an audio file of him playing "Happy Birthday" on the piano, which we will treasure even more. RIP Paul.

7. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

[​IMG]

One of my favourite Buckmaster arranged / conducted albums; Ben Folds & Nick Hornby's Lonely Avenue.

Sammy Waslow and Scooter59 like this.
  8. jahndhi

jahndhi Forum Resident

Thank you Paul.

9. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Madman Across The Water is my favourite Elton John album in no small part to Paul Buckmaster's string arrangements. I also have Macbeth by Third Ear Band's but haven't played it since I bought it 45 years ago.

TS582 and Hep Alien like this.
  10. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

A behind the scenes guy, but a great talent. Among the many works, I quite enoyed his work on the Chi Coltrane albums.

11. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

He had the uncanny ability to turn ordinary songs into something very amazing. Also did some nice work on these two lesser-known records..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Very much one of the big time arrangers of the 70's, that helped to broaden the "rock" sound. He will be missed. Thank You, for your talent. RIP.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

This Buckmaster arranged version of "Landed" is pretty great as well.

Sammy Waslow, CBS 65780 and Hep Alien like this.
  14. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Lovely to see Paul as one of the interviewees featured on tonight's countdown of The Nation's Favourite Elton John Song on ITV (UK television).

15. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

R.I.P. Mr. Paul Buckmaster :(

16. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Pleased they acknowledged Paul Buckmaster's death at the end of the Favourite Elton John Songs programme on TV on Sunday evening.

17. stefane

stefane Forum Resident

Paul Buckmaster's work for David Bowie, Elton John, Leonard Cohen or The Rolling Stones seems to be well known.

However, as an arranger and conductor, and also as a solo cellist, his lesser-known contributions literally spread to hundreds of records. Just to name a few of his collaborations that have not been mentioned in this thread yet:

Michael Chapman - The Aviator ("Fully Qualified Survivor", Harvest, 1970)
    Wonderful violin and cello pushing against the guitars and adding some sinister and gloomy layers to this compelling freak folk track.

Judie Tzuke - Bring the Rain ("Welcome to the Cruise", The Rocket Record Company, 1979)
    A melancholy ballad from Judie Tzuke's wonderful debut album with Paul Buckmaster's arrangements slowly creeping in. Judie Tzuke is a songwriter having released some great albums, but practically ignored by listeners.

Lloyd Cole - Margo's Waltz ("Don't Get Weird on Me Babe", Polydor, 1991)
    Paul Buckmaster adding some gorgeously lush strings to Lloyd Cole's second solo album.

The Jayhawks - Blue ("Tomorrow the Green Grass", American Recordings, 1995)
    Paul Buckmaster's subtle but powerful string arrangements and soaring harmonies contribute generously to this "perfect" pop song.

Ben Folds - Learn to Live with What You Are ("Supersunnyspeedgraphic, The LP", Epic, 2006)
    Paul Buckmaster's arrangement largely contributes to the feel of this sweet 70s vintage-style ballad.

phillyal1 and Hep Alien like this.
  18. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

A true legend, and I'm kicking myself for not knowing he died until doing research for the Chinese Democracy thread

19. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Odessa... man one of my favorite tracks of all time. I mean this track by itself makes him a legend to me.

Another tremendous loss. RIP.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. SGR

SGR Forum Resident

I didn't realize he was on Odessa. His arrangements on Michael Chapman's "Fully Qualified Survivor" compliment the guitar playing so well and fit so naturally. The song March Rain from "Fully Qualified Survivor" is a good example of this and one of my favorites.

fortherecord likes this.
  21. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Paul played great cello on The Bee Gees Odessa title track.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. MurfMusic

MurfMusic Well-Known Member

So this is my first contribution as I'm brand new here. Although it's late, my first encounter with this genius was "Have Mercy On The Criminal" from Don't Shoot Me, as that was my first Elton album. Later that year I went back and bought every album from S\T to Honky Chateau & and everything forward as it was released. l know he wasn't on every album but he will be missed, he was one of a kind. I listened to Made In England on my 2 vinyl versions this week and his genius was still there in full force. RIP Paul.

Hep Alien, Cassius and Carlox like this.
  23. Hayim kobi

Hayim kobi Forum Resident

New Article:
    Take a trip down memory lane with this guided listening tour of great orchestrated songs of the 1970s, courtesy of master arranger Paul Buckmaster and featuring songs by David Bowie, Elton John, The Rolling Stones, Leonard Cohen, Harry Nilsson, Carly Simon, The Grateful Dead and many more.
    The Story Behind The Artistry of Paul Buckmaster

[​IMG]

Carlox, stefane, CybrKhatru and 3 others like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

R.I.P.

25. yohalfprice

yohalfprice Forum Resident

My first exposure to him was on Shawn Phillips' albums, e.g.:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.