Paul McCartney Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatlesfan9091, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I agree that it was not a good single choice. When I see people say it was a lousy choice for single I don't say a word. I was referring to whenever I hear people say they don't like the high parts or how it sounds unfinished or it's just dreadful. That is where I will have to disagree.
    But having said all that, by the time that album came out I don't think it mattered what Paul picked for singles as nothing is really going to chart the way it used to for him. It's still a lousy choice and there are some tracks on the album with better hooks or would sound better driving down the road but none of them would have generated a chart hit for him in 2001-2002 anyway.

2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yeah, Paul’s years as a singles hit maker were over by then anyway.

I really like the song . All of it, was because the lyrics don’t really concern me anyway.

Paul sounds really sad and/ or depressed and sincere in the song, which I find refreshing . :laugh:
    It’s not rooty tooty Paul for a change.

I’ve mentioned it before but nobody else has ever chimed in on it: What the heck is going on with the drumming on the song ?
    If I remember correctly it’s Abe on drums but it sounds like someone gave a six year old a pair of sticks and said have at it at some points in the record.

Wiserforthetime and Frank like this.
  3. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Maybe I'm Amazed" off Back in the U.S. is incredible.

theMess and FKA002 like this.
  4. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Yeah the sad/depressed sounding Paul really made the song. I second you in that it was refreshing. Good point about the drums too, no idea what is going on with it but definitely see what you're saying.

theMess and Glenn Christense like this.
  5. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

My ranking so far:

RAM
    Red Rose Speedway
    Tug of War
    Venus And Mars
    Press To Play
    Run Devil Run
    London Town
    Flaming Pie
    Off The Ground
    Band On The Run
    Wild Life
    Back To The Egg
    Driving Rain
    McCartney II
    Flowers In The Dirt
    Wings At The Speed of Sound
    Give My Regards To Broad Street
    McCartney
    Pipes of Peace
    Snova V SSSR

Unplugged
    Back In The World/U.S.
    Paul Is Live
    Wings Over America
    Tripping The Live Fantastic/Highlights

Standing Stone
    Working Classical
    Liverpool Oratorio

Rushes
    Liverpool Sound Collage
    Strawberries Oceans Ship Forest

6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Hi Arnie, thank you so much for thinking of me; just so that anyone curious knows, I am absolutely fine, by back problem has cleared up a lot thankfully. I have just had the busiest period of my life so far, starting at two different colleges, getting an internship and a job, all based around vegan cooking (Paul's influence again!).

I have more spare time coming up now hopefully so can take part here again.

I hope you are all well!

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That is nice to hear.

I also attended two different colleges. Of course, I was also kicked out of two different colleges ... ;)

8. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Twin Freaks
    [​IMG]

Twin Freaks is a collaborative album by musician Paul McCartney with DJ and producerFreelance Hellraiser (Roy Kerr). The album was released on 13 June 2005.
    McCartney and Kerr created the double vinyl album as a continuation of Kerr's collaboration with McCartney from a 2004 tour. Kerr was known at the time for the mash-up album A Stroke of Genius, in 2002.[2]

Kerr performed a half-hour set prior to McCartney's 2004 gigs[2] in which Kerr remixed various McCartney tracks into unusual and often unrecognizable forms. Twin Freaks was the outgrowth of these manipulations.

All McCartney tracks are strongly revised and reinvented in the process.[2] Who is responsible for what aspects of the works or their reinvention is unclear.[2] Parts of basic McCartney tracks are vigorously reworked.

The album was produced as a double vinyl release and a digital download in Windows Media Audio (WMA) format. The cover and interior artwork features paintings that are similar in tone and style to artist Willem de Kooning. McCartney knew the late artist, with whom he shared a similar painting style.

"Really Love You", backed with "Lalula", was released as a one-sided 12" single, limited to 500 copies, released on 6 June 2005. A second single, limited to 200 copies, was of "What's that You're Doing" backed with "Rinse the Raindrops".

The album was re-released as a digital download on 24 April 2012 to iTunes and Amazon.[3]

All songs written by Paul McCartney, except where noted.

Side one
    1. "Really Love You" (Paul McCartney, Richard Starkey) – 5:42
    2. "Long Haired Lady (Reprise)" (Paul McCartney, Linda McCartney) – 4:50
    3. "Rinse the Raindrops" – 3:14
    Side two
    1. "Darkroom" – 2:30
    2. "Live and Let Die" (Paul McCartney, Linda McCartney) – 3:26
    3. "Temporary Secretary" – 4:12
    Side three
    1. "What's That You're Doing" (Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney) – 4:57
    2. "Oh Woman, Oh Why" – 4:19
    3. "Mumbo" (Paul McCartney, Linda McCartney) – 5:24
    Side four
    1. "Lalula" – 4:25
    2. "Coming Up" – 4:42
    3. "Maybe I'm Amazed" – 6:12

Paulwalrus likes this.
  9. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Wow, that was fast!

Before I move on to Twin Freaks, I want to voice my appreciation for "Tropic Island Hum" and "Whole Life" from 2004. Both are great, and "Tropic" is one of my all-time favorite Macca songs. I first heard the snatch of it in In The World Tonight back in '97, and it was stuck in my head for another seven years until we finally got it! Here's to hoping the full version (as heard in the cartoon film) eventually sees wide-spread release. (It already appeared on a promo disc.)

theMess, Frank and beatlesfan9091 like this.
  10. MPLRecords

Onto Twin Freaks. In which McCartney songs are remixed to good effect, making unique and interesting listening experiences that are sure to delight Macca fans. There's so much here that you can find new little twists and turns with every listen. Unlike what could have happened, the album doesn't get boring at any point. It gets really bad with "Live and Let Die" (did they just run out of ideas?!), but everything else is done very well.

Highlights: "Really Love You", "Temporary Secretary", "Oh Woman, Oh Why", "Coming Up"
    Absolutely NOT a highlight: "Live and Let Die". Unlistenable. Probably my choice for worst recording released in the McCartney catalogue. I'd take "Women Kind" and "African Yeah Yeah" over it for sure!

hell raised, freelance
    I. Tug of War > Back To The Egg > Ram > Venus and Mars > Flowers In The Dirt > Band on the Run > Flaming Pie > Off The Ground > McCartney II > Run Devil Run > Driving Rain > Press To Play > London Town > Pipes of Peace > McCartney > Give My Regards To Broad Street > Red Rose Speedway > Wings at the Speed of Sound > Wild Life > Choba B CCCP
    II. Wings Over America > Tripping The Live Fantastic > Back In The U.S. > Paul Is Live > Unplugged (The Official Bootleg)
    III. Liverpool Oratorio > Standing Stone > Working Classical
    IV. Twin Freaks > Rushes > Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest > Liverpool Sound Collage

I still wonder where that 'say goodbye' line on "Temporary Secretary" comes from. Any ideas?

theMess likes this.
  11. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Whole Life is my favorite song he's done since the turn of the century.

12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I love all of McCartney's animated material, and I really really love Whole Life! It is yet another that I wish McCartney would perform live, it is such a rocking song, one of McCartney's very best!

theMess and MPLRecords like this.
  13. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

:eek:
    ...oh yeah Twin Freaks yeah!
    ;)

MPLRecords likes this.
  14. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

This thread is proving expensive for me . . . though, to be fair, much of the stuff is deleted so I just get it used. Surprising for a major artist to have so many albums deleted.
    P.S. I heeded the recommendations, went back and re-listened to Run Devil Run, and it's grown on me. A bit. Well, more than a bit, tbh.

15. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

For some reasons, Twin Freaks reminds me of my first McCartney concert
    Not because it was the pre-show music (it was 2015!), but because the last thing I listened to before I went to the venue was Twin Freaks' Temporary Secretary remix
    So that album reminds me of the summer, a very hot summer really!
    And I really enjoy it, it's sort of Paul's Love album and it's rather nice! I like remixes

pablo fanques, theMess and MPLRecords like this.
  16. MPLRecords

Paul's Love. That's a great way to describe Twin Freaks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    pablo fanques and theMess like this.
  17. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

I would absolutely LOVE* a proper Love album (or even show!) using Paul's solo music :love:

*no pun intended

MPLRecords likes this.
  18. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

I'm not sure I'm thinking about the same thing. Do you mean the part that start at 1:16? If so, it was pretty clear for me that it was "secretaire"

Paulwalrus and MPLRecords like this.
  19. MPLRecords

Yeah, that's what I mean. Even if it is "secretaire", it's still something that I can't peg an origin for... could it be new?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    theMess likes this.
  20. ishmael

ishmael Forum Resident

Totally off topic...but my friend ran into Sir Paul at a bakery in uptown Manhattan last week!

21. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

I have a lot of Paul McCartney music in my collection (almost all of his releases).

The best album for me, by far, is Off The Ground. Everything else released is significantly less than Off The Ground.

omikron and Frank like this.
  22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I’m not going to go as far as saying “Whole Life” is my favorite song Paul has done since the turn of the century but I certainly agree it’s a good song.

It sort of reminds me of “Letting Go” feel-wise .

theMess, Frank and MPLRecords like this.
  23. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Twin Freaks:

Paul McCartney and Freelance Hellraiser (Roy Kerr) made a very interesting remix album based off of remixes made for Paul's preshow music in 2004. I have no idea what made Paul want to release this collab as an album, but it's a pretty good album to throw on every now and then.

Now I will go through the songs and what I think about them.
    Really Love You: Love the bass, love the drums. Definitely gives the original version of this track some of that punch and quickness that it needed. 4th favorite.
    Long Haired Lady (Reprise):
    This one is kind of forgettable for me. I do know it's the last part of the "Long Haired Lady" song, but I can't think of how different it is now. 7th favorite.
    Rinse The Raindrops:
    A great song from Driving Rain gets an even better remix. I really love this remix of the song. It's a lot faster and almost gets to that thrash/techno like genre. 3rd favorite.
    Darkroom:
    I don't like "Darkroom" from McCartney II so I'm less inclined to like a remix of it, but I will say I ranked the remix higher than the original song. 8th favorite.
    Live And Let Die:
    I have to give this song my favorite song on the album title. I quite like the interview questions playing in the foreground as the beginning of "Live And Let Die" loops around the song. I don't mind that actually. I just hoped at the end of the song, "Live And Let Die" would break out of its loop and end with "and your heart was an open book". (If you're reading this @MPLRecords, I am so sorry :D). Favorite song on the album
    Temporary Secretary:
    Really cool version of the song. Not only does it contain elements from "Temporary Secretary", but it contains elements from an unreleased Paul song. I think it's the one called "Hey Now (What Are You Looking At Me For)". Maybe another forum member knows exactly which song it is and can help me out :love:. 10th favorite.
    What's That You're Doing:
    A fun remix of the Stevie Wonder/Paul McCartney duet. 5th favorite.
    Oh Woman, Oh Why:
    One of the best remixes. A lot of elements from many different songs. Definitely, my favorite used is part of the intro from "Venus And Mars". 2nd favorite.
    Mumbo:
    This one can get quite annoying with the Alvin & The Chipmunks feat. Paul McCartney vocal. 11th favorite.
    Lalula:
    The only song here with an original track name and probably it's unfortunate because I can't exactly remember what this remix is all about. There's no basis for this song to go off of. 6th favorite.
    Coming Up:
    Don't particularly like this one. I can hear some elements of "Morse Moose and The Grey Goose" in it though, so I guess that makes it kinda cool. Least favorite.
    Maybe I'm Amazed:
    Drags on a little bit too long for me. Would have been a lot better if it was shortened a bit. 9th favorite.

pablo fanques, ishmael and Paulwalrus like this.
  24. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

I wouldn't say that. Concerning the agressive destroying mood of the remixes, I would call it Paul's Hate.

Well, it's way too agressively sounding stuff, really. Not bad and especially entertaining as a pre-show music (which it was in 2004), each time I try to listen to it as an LP at home, I wanna kill somebody.

25. MPLRecords

BURN THE WITCH!

(;)... maybe)

theMess, SixOClockBoos and FKA002 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.