Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I already did just reading it. :D

2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I don't think that they need propping up from a commercial point of view; I was thinking about the critics reviewing the re-releases. They seem to be less harsh when they have two albums to review, and I think that Speed Of Sound and McCartney 2 both benefitted from their pairings.

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah, so do I, which is why I think it's real.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I must say, when I first read that word, it didn't seem in keeping with the spirit of Ebony And Ivory. :D

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It's ironic that this is the next album in the set. As some of you may remember, I was recently explaining how I was going to wait for my first-time listen of some McCartney albums until they were released in the Archive series. "Who knows how long it will take for them to get to FITD? Just listen to it and enjoy it now!", they said. So listen to it I did, breaking a little rule I had imposed on myself. Now looks what happens... :hide:

6. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

My first thought on this is... to do TOW and POP together one year, and then only FITD the next, may be the first suggestion that Paul doesn't intend to do deluxe editions of all the albums. The choice of bonus cuts for FITD may shed more light on whether space is being saved for an eventual OTG deluxe or not. It's hard to imagine a more logical time to release it than with FITD though....

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  7. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

That was one of my first thoughts on hearing the news 'who was that guy who caved and listen to it? Must be kicking themself now!'

Clearly Paul saw your review and decided to bump Flowers to be the next release

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:biglaugh: Yep, that's me!

Mr. Explorer, Johnny Reb and theMess like this.
  9. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

The last time he put out a stand alone was WOA and that was the same year he put out NEW, and Kisses on the Bottom came out, then the stand alone RAM. So it maybe time for some new material...

10. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

I think the reason its going to be only one album getting in the archives collection, is that FITD is going to be a huge box set, this album can have at least 2 bonus cds, without putting the demos with Costello and live stuff from the tour. And we are probably going to get a Get Back World Tour dvd/blu ray, similar to the Wings Over America reissue

11. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Funnily enough, I got Flowers on CD from eBay a few months ago, and thought "Wouldn't it be funny if this turns out to be the next archive releaseā€¦?"

It was the original CD in great condition for a cheap price though. No regrets :p

heatherly, JimC, Johnny Reb and 2 others like this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Well, that certainly would soften the blow of only getting one reissue. I would love for Paul to release some of the songs that he has been sitting on, going back to the Emerick sessions in 2009, and maybe even some of the songs leftover from Driving Rain.

13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Well, that would be a pleasant surprise. I would love for this to be packed full of demos, alternative versions, early takes, unreleased songs, b-sides, live performances, etc.

Johnny Reb and vitorbastos123 like this.
  14. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

I like your long shot -- here's another: The FITD set will actually be released next spring, and there will be a whole new Coming Soon card with 2 new titles -- and THOSE will be released in the Fall of 2016.

15. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Nope. But the other "Coming Soon" cards are to be found inside the infamous tote bags :nyah:

Johnny Reb and theMess like this.
  16. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

Right, but it's hard to imagine OTG being released as standalone, so unless it's being paired with Flaming Pie, maybe this means it will just be getting a standard reissue at some point?

theMess likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

You're sharp tonight.:)

theMess likes this.
  18. Sean Murdock

You're missing "Back On My Feet"! (And no, it doesn't belong on the PTP set...) Otherwise, great proposal.

JimC, Johnny Reb and theMess like this.
  19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks. How did you know? :shh:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. ZoSo794

ZoSo794 Forum Resident

:agree:

vitorbastos123 and theMess like this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The streets are ruining you. You'd have never said something like that a few months ago.:D:D

theMess likes this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

For me, in terms of what I want more, new material > Archive release. Always.

23. Sean Murdock

That is the most worrying thing if this FITD card is real -- it dramatically reduces the chances that OTG will receive the deluxe treatment. Paul has already managed to re-issue two of his least-regarded albums (Macca II and Pipes of Peace) as deluxe sets, in the warm shadow of their more-loved companions (McCartney and Tug of War). Paul seems to be throwing another kind of shade at Off The Ground here, and not the good kind!

Johnny Reb and theMess like this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It may be worth considering that it was a commercial success, especially in Europe and South America. It also contained Paul's last big international hit single (at least until his work with Kanye).

It also has a lot of potential bonus material. I suppose it depends on whether he would risk releasing something that may not sell too well in America.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  25. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Maybe the movie that's been in the works, but I hope that it is something else from Macca. I don't have a problem with FitD but I'm disappointed for sure

theMess likes this.