Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

neither actually. just where they would logically fit had they been included on the CDs :).

Mr. Explorer and OobuJoobu like this.
  2. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I think So Like Candy & Playboy to a man are good enough to be dropped into the running order with the official 13 songs. Maybe add a little echo or verb, EQ a bit. Personally I added them & dropped Oui Est Soilel, How Many People.

3. rockdave73

rockdave73 Well-Known Member

Just Flaming Pie... that's all I want Paul. Yes, I'll buy the others, but c'mon man! Flaming Pie!

4. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

(I was looking for the right FitD thread to bump... and there's so many!)

I'm a massive cheapskate and just streamed the 2017 rerelease, thinking I was happy enough with hi-fi versions of the beloved McCartney/MacManus demos... but the 1988 studio demos just got added to the version that's on Spotify, and this is my first time hearing them.

WOW.

I am thoroughly baffled as to why this wasn't working for them. It absolutely wipes the floor with the released record (IMO), and if fleshed out with some fitting tunes on Spike ("...This Town", "Tramp the Dirt Down", "Deep Dark Truthful Mirror", "Veronica", "Pads, Paws and Claws") and maybe an extra Macca leftover ("We Got Married", or - WHY NOT - "Lindiana"), this would've been top-tier for both of them, no question. And the production... if they'd hauled in Nick Lowe instead of Trevor Horn*, it'd have aged so much better.

*Disclaimer: I love Trevor Horn and wish Macca had committed to an entire ZTT-style record, going full-on "Art of Noise"... but not with MacManus in the room.

5. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

The demos are amazing.

6. Nothing4Free

Nothing4Free Forum Resident

Yeah, Macca backed out of this "duet" idea, we'll never know what could have happened...although at the end of the day he hasn't done too badly in terms of "fame", artistically ? Well who's to say ! We have to remember that in 1987 he was coming out of some really bad years and projects, PoP, Give my Regards, P2P, it really did NOT look good for him and that seemed like they could "threaten him", in hindsight of course, anything could have worked ;-)

7. PaperbackBroadstreet

I heard somewhere that the idea was for a 4 sided album with Paul, Neil Finn, etc. around 1988 that never took off. That would have been interesting.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I keep meaning to put together something that collects all of the McCartney/Costello material to see what a release featuring them both would have been like. I'm sure people have done this. Anyone out there would like to share suggestions for a coherent playlist?

9. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

The Geoff Emerick mix of “The Lovers that Never Were” is easily in my top 10 McCartney tracks.

theMess, Mr. D, foxylady and 2 others like this.
  10. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Glad to see another fan discovering these tracks! Calling them "demos" is imo a euphemism for "abandoned album", as they are essentially finished studio masters. And you're right that they're absolutely essential for fans of both artists.

11. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Thrilled to be able to buy the band demos! Sound great!

12. moeson

moeson Forum Resident

While I would have loved a Macca/Finn collaboration, I've never heard of that rumor. Crowded House was so relatively new at that point.

13. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

But split endz had been around

14. PaperbackBroadstreet

I don’t know if it was here or the official macca board. I don’t think it was just made up, though never can tell.

Either way it sounded like a wouldn’t that be great project that never got beyond the initial “who would take each side “ stage.

My recollection is 4 artists, 2 lps, each would get one side.

Paul and Neil could still do this but it might not be “commercial “ enough.

Then again what does Paul have left to prove?

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  15. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I still haven’t used my download card from this. Lol Does it expire?

Carlox and Lewisboogie like this.
  16. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I believe the expiration date is listed on the card. In 2020, I think.

Clanceman likes this.
  17. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Just a pain - downloading stuff. Wish all those tracks were on discs.

I buy cds so I can “pop em in” & play. I buy records to stick on tt and play.

Every time I go to download ....I feel like I’m at work.

Oh well. Thanks for the info & reminding me I have to do this by 2020.

Carlox likes this.
  18. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

How do the Costello demos sound on the vinyl? That would be my primary reason for me to get this too.

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Where is "Flying To My Home?"
    :confused:

tug_of_war likes this.
  20. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Download only, unfortunately.

Edit: that’s when a thrill becomes a hurt...

21. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Was playing and looking through the deluxe edition again yesterday. Some random observations.

1. The Elvis demos were a pleasure to hear once again. Such a shame that there were no other collaborations.

2. Enjoyed the Put It There documentary. It seems to get some rough press occasionally, and some of the video effects are distracting, but on the whole some great performance footage.

3. Looking at the photos in the book, it occurred to me that is this the only time where George Martin had longer hair than Paul, albeit perhaps receding a little at the front!

4. The download only items still really grates. They could easily have fitted in an extra disc (probably two) to incorporate this material and I am sure much more in the way of additional material. Even just watching Put It There revealed that there was a lot more that could have been included.

5. Paul was in great voice.

6. It was undoubtedly a good album.

It is good to be able to return to these sets periodically. It does give a good overview of various albums and there are always little things that reveal themselves on a further revisit.

22. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Speaking of downloads - has anyone had any luck redownloading the hi-res files? I moved mine to a USB stick which has somehow corrupted.

23. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

Does anyone know the exact expiration date for the downloads?

24. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

That info isn't publicised, I doubt you'll get an answer.

25. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

:confused: Why? This set is still available to buy new at Amazon, so I just wanted to know if I would be able to get the downloads before I bought it.