Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [2019+]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

Really? Paul’s decision to use a huge concert to show support for New York/America was great, but the way he used it to promote his latest album was one of the biggest faux-pas of his career imo.

I can’t see Driving Rain as a return to relevancy either: this isn’t long after Flaming Pie, RDR and the loss of Linda. It didn’t exactly follow a period of irrelevancy.

longdist01 and NaturalD like this.
  2. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

With re-adapted and revisted early sets?

Please.

Changingman likes this.
  3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

It's my understanding that some of the previous deluxe sets are OOP? Will Capital reissue those? Update and expand?

4. Thrillington

No thanks!

Don’t make us double dip for the same book/remaster for a few bonus tracks. Just reprint them.

5. Jerry Horne

I would prefer they just stick ALL remaining orphaned tracks into a 1970-1979 set. As much audio as Paul will allow plus a healthy amount of video and photos etc. Just get the 70's completely out of the way.

6. Thrillington

Yep. This is the perfect way to round up orphaned tracks, add stuff that should've been on previous reissues, and give us some new goodies without double-dipping etc.

Give us a 'bonus boxset' for each decade to sit on my shelf amongst the albums and I'll be a very happy man.

qtrules, Sean, theMess and 1 other person like this.
  7. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

A 70's Anthology box would be great! And they could as crazy as they want with it. The Big Barn Box has shown that the fan demand is there and so they could get really ambitious and do a Pink Floyd Early Years type set.

8. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Driving Rain is something you might get one day when Paul is no longer with us, but let's be realistic, while Paul is here and overseeing these things, it's mind boggling to think he'd ever want to go and focus on that period of his life.

Hopefully we can spend the next however many months and hundreds of pages being at least vaguely realistic!

9. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Look at say the Red Rose Speedway's set, look at Band On The Run's set.
    Which album do you think is critically acclaimed as one of Paul's best record?
    It looks so cheap now

Jayseph, anthony_beat and Spencer R like this.
  10. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Very excited to get a great sounding London Town and Back To The Egg remasters.

11. Thrillington

And?

The Archive Series has clearly evolved and changed in the last 8 years.

Buying a super deluxe RRS is one thing.

Buying a super deluxe BOTR after already having bought the original deluxe, for a few more goodies is another.

BOTR doesn’t need a bigger boxset. There don’t seem to be many other audio bonuses from that period anyway. McCartney and SOS are anemic enough as it is without being stretched out into a box.

It was McCartney’s first back-catalogue boxset, MPL were still finding their feet and exploring their options. I quite like how each reissue is slightly different as the series has evolved.

905, supermd, Sean and 7 others like this.
  12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Maybe he understandably doesn’t care to revisit that period of his life, but Driving Rain is still a great album, and I’d buy an Archive edition of it.

Jerquee, 905, Carlox and 2 others like this.
  13. Thrillington

For sure, just very little chance of Paul participating and promoting such a release. Hope to see it one day.

Also hope to see the press release: 'one SHMF poster once described Driving Rain as being like making love to 16 different women.'

mrjinks, C_Jepson, Sean and 4 others like this.
  14. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Hope I‘ll never encounter the women representing „Spinning On An Axis“ and „Freedom“... :D

Zongadude and Thrillington like this.
  15. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

A 'period' that spawned his current and longest lasting band , a brilliant return to touring in fine voice and also his final child........so as a glass half full man I'm sure he does not see it as the dark period you think.

mrjinks, 905, supermd and 3 others like this.
  16. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I share your feeling that Driving Rain is likely to arrive late to the party (if at all), but, while Paul's fans think of it as the album of the Heather years, for Paul it might equally be the album of young Beatrice, so... who knows, really, how Paul thinks of it these days. Fans never hear about Beatrice, for all kinds of good reasons, but that can't really be Paul's experience of things, and it's easy to imagine Beatrice taking an interest in this period and -- why not? -- pestering her father for an account of those years. If this is so, maybe Beatrice needs to reach her majority before anyone wants to put that yearbook together.

mrjinks, Paul H and theMess like this.
  17. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Thinking about the Wings 1979 tour, incredible to think 39 years later that was the last proper Paul McCartney tour (not including things like small numbers of Run Devil Run gigs) where Wix wasn't in the band!

Antivenom9808 and theMess like this.
  18. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Beatrice was was born almost 2 years after Driving Rain came out, Paul will have no memories of her from that time!:)

Frank and Rob Hughes like this.
  19. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Perhaps they could issue a Wings Greatest set, with bonus discs encompassing all miscellaneous 70s archive tracks looking for a home.

20. Jerry Horne

I would hope that when and if decade style odds & ends box's are released, there would two versions. A bells & whistles version for the hardcore fans and a stripped down cd only box set for everyone else.

21. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I'd like to see London Town / Back to the Egg next. Then, Broadstreet/Press to Play. That would round out his first 20 years. After that, he's just a boring bafoon.

With the exception of Press to Play (which is terrible) his first 20 years solo is better than the Beatles. He's the best, period. But after that he's out of touch with the world, devoid of inspiration, and just stinks. Coming back to touring really killed his muse and voice.

22. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

May not have helped his voice but his albums over the last 20 years have been generally great.

mrjinks, 905, C_Jepson and 2 others like this.
  23. jacden

jacden Senior Member

A lot of people on this forum will agree with you on that, myself included. Driving Rain will never be a desert island disc for me, but everything else has been good to great in my opinion.

Sean, theMess and OobuJoobu like this.
  24. After London Town/Egg i’d like a big all things Fireman’s Box. After that I wouldnt care if it ended.

However one huge outtakes set would be nice too

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Sean, andrewskyDE, klaatuhf and 5 others like this.
  25. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

I hope Press To Play gets the love it deserves. Definitely has some gems and I would love to get the extra material

sean4554, darling, Carlox and 13 others like this.