Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [2019+]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Dec 9, 2018.

1. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

And while I'm on the subject!

It would feel like a potentially harmful move for demand for future Archive Collection box sets if the seed is planted in people's minds that the Deluxe Archives are not Paul's definitive word on the album in question.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  2. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

If it does, I think it would make a great tie-in to the next set of live releases. Imagine getting:
    1. Tripping The Live Fantastic Highlights, the full CD now on two vinyl LPs,
    2. Live At The Cavern, first release of the Run Devil Run material on purple vinyl,
    3. Back In The US, on red, white and blue vinyls, and
    4. Return To The Cavern, which is the recent appearance, on a vinyl to match.
    Then comes the CD release of the two Cavern shows, along with the DVDs/blurays.

That would be me mentioning it.
    Let It Be, the LP, was released 8 May 1970 — and, yes, the same day is a Friday in 2020.
    Let It Be, the movie, was released 15 May 1970 — also a Friday in 2020.
    If the new edit of the movie is released on its anniversary, then a DVD release would not come until after — and Apple has indicated that the original edit will join the new one on DVD.
    My guess is that the home video release will likely come in September or October, so as not to conflict with other special releases.

McCartney was released on 17 April 1970. Interestingly, Record Store Day 2020 is 18 April, so the two can definitely be tied together.

All Things Must Pass was released 27 November, and two weeks later (11 December) came Plastic Ono Band. So if either are going for a 50th anniversary re-release, that's when I think Paul will avoid releasing his own.

Thus we might safely say we have a window of February-March 2020, July-August 2020 (because May is Let It Be time and the next set of concerts going into June), or September-October 2020 depending on Let It Be plans.

And the same for the year after — we can only guess 2021 might be the vinyl release of the EP collection, since it's the anniversary of the original boxed set in much the same way the singles were this year.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. bward

bward Senior Member

Did I miss something?

Is Egypt Station getting released again?

I’m pretty sure that ended with Travellers and Explorers Edition months ago.

Why is that bag still being punched?

MPLRecords and JDeanB like this.
  4. bward

bward Senior Member

However, there has been serious mission drift with the Archive series.

Have you recently looked at how puny the Band On the Run and McCartney Archives look on the shelf compared to the more recent editions to the canon?

I don’t believe the Archive series was intended to go this song, or to grow this big, but the series success changed things.

It would not shock me if a couple of these titles are redone.

Where else are the legendary Band On the Run demos (the one allegedly stolen in Lagos) gonna go?

:)

kevintee and augustboy like this.
  5. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

When the series started they were testing the waters with super deluxe boxsets and £70 was considered expensive (see reaction to the Pink Floyd immersion box sets).
    Now they have understood that there is a very small market happy to buy very very expensive boxsets and provide even more profit with fewer copies sold.
    McCartney's archive series has slowly morphed into the latter type and it's possible that the usual candidates such as Band On The Run and McCartney 1 might be squeezed again.

augustboy likes this.
  6. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

"Allegedly"?

jmxw and Guy Smiley like this.
  7. bward

bward Senior Member

I know. I’m being a mixer.

But seriously, there were no copies of the tapes made for the band?!?!

Color me McSkeptical

8. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

My bad, don’t really follow reissues much. Usually nothing new and as I’ve stated many times that vinyl holds zero interest to me. In that case, if it’s been reissued already, I see absolutely nothing coming for McCartney

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  9. bward

bward Senior Member

Just to clarify.

You mean McCartney the album, right?

10. anthony_beat

anthony_beat Forum Resident

It's very, very sad... Our hopes for the beginning of the year are dashed...

But as say - hope dies last!

11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

yes

12. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

Henry McCullough had rehearsal tapes as far as I know.

13. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

hope, even with little chance of happening is not dashed by an opinion. Which is all I’m offering. No better or worse than those with these grandiose dreams. While personally, reissues leave no interest to me, if they were to redo the McCartney box.......I will buy it with little complaint as long as it offers significant new content. I think it’s a huge step backwards though but to each there own.

so dream on, but if you’re gonna dream big, let’s have every remaining boxed set released Jan 1st!

14. anthony_beat

I'm actually a realist. But I want to believe in a bright future))
    I will be happy to purchase a reissue of "McCartney" with new material.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Future will be bright, with or without another “McCartney or “ All Things Must Pass”. I personally look forward to 2020!

Sean, andrewskyDE, marklamb and 2 others like this.
  16. anthony_beat

Me too!

In any case, I think I will be satisfied)
    I'm looking forward to reissuing Let It Be.

andrewskyDE and maccawings like this.
  17. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

me too!

18. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I thought they found the tape... ;-)

Oyster Boy likes this.
  19. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Have they given away what's on the soundtrack? Oh no!!!! SECURITY....!!! :cop:

Who Cares likes this.
  20. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, he did just release a new single.

Don't want to over-saturate the market.... :shrug:

Oyster Boy likes this.
  21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yorick likes this.
  22. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

super happy!!! 2020 already liking it! and my face::eek:

Sean, Paul Getsey, jlf and 21 others like this.
  23. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Ahhh... I don't have the slightest clue of what you're talking about, but now I'm excited!

24. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Besides Macca, are the other solo Fabs involved with making that happy face???

25. WildWildHorses49

WildWildHorses49 Forum Resident

the beatles fandom soon...
    [​IMG]
    :eek:

Sean, andrewskyDE and Lewisboogie like this.