Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [2019+]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Dec 9, 2018.

1. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

It’s ok, I’ll buy two copies to make up for it and send you the second copy of this hypothetical box set :D

2. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

sorry to continue to talk about Lennon in a macca thread ( we need a new thread with 2020 in the title anyway lol)
    But could we be so bold as to hope for 2 anniversary sets this year for POB and Double Fantasy? Then again, if Paul can release two archive sets simultaneously...

Wingsfan2012 and augustboy like this.
  3. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

sadly she has not looked well in recent days

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You'll regret this post when they put out a $1000 limited edition SDE of "STINYC" and you have to buy me one! ;)

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  5. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

my offer does not apply to any “Travelers edition” suitcase sized versions

6. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I would expect "Double Fantasy/Milk and Honey" sessions release, given Yoko's participation and involvement, and should want the testament, prior to her demise. It could be a great release if they included the Dakota demos.

Wingsfan2012, Sean, augustboy and 4 others like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Seems unlikely that the Lennon camp would put out 2 competing SDEs, especially because they always like to time things to John's birthday.

I feel like we're more likely to get a "POB" SDE, but that's just a guess...

longdist01 likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Too late! The original post is a binding legal document!

9. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

It would definitely be an instant buy for me.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I seem to remember for his 60th they released a few remixed albums (don’t remember if it was a few at a time or all at once)
    And for his 70th they issued the big box set of all the albums (ignoring Live in Toronto as usual)
    So they don’t seem opposed to releasing multiple product. Plus it’s almost too good an angle marketing wise- his first solo studio album and his last both have major anniversaries on what would have been his 80th birthday.
    I also agree with @Darrin L. , Yoko would likely want to emphasize her involvement, and in that case Double Fantasy would be more likely, but she was as much a part of the PoB sessions as she was during Imagine and also recorded a companion album, which was remastered and rereleased about 2 years ago, so with that done, maybe it clears the decks for a PoB box to focus solely on John while a D.F/M&H set focuses on both, (while also including those Bermuda tapes and Dakota demos and anything else not already included on the Anyhology)

Darrin L. likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

They've done boxes but I think competing expensive SDEs is a different thing.

That said, the "Imagine" SDE wasn't that expensive, so if they keep the $$$ down, it's more feasible!

And Macca showed you can sell 2 expensive SDEs at the same time - for albums no one likes, to boot! :D

Oyster Boy, longdist01 and joeislive like this.
  12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Only one Lennon album is facing the 50 year copyright deadline in 2020.

13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Great stuff what I'm reading here the last two pages.
    Well, I'm hungry. Could I have a sandwich like right now?

mikecarrera likes this.
  14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I think we all agree that there is most certainly a market for these SDE's. Of course we , the fans, love a good price point when we can get it

15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

as I always say....release every remaining Archive today, here's my credit card and I'll worry about paying later!

16. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

agreed, and let’s face it most of the people who want this stuff will buy both whether it’s released the same day. I actually think releasing both at the same time would probably maximize sales, people get so excited for one they sometimes say what the heck and buy both, especially if they bundle both and offer it at a slightly lower price then buying separately. Maybe even offer an exclusive. I mean it must be working since Paul does it often with the archives.

Paul H and longdist01 like this.
  17. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

would love this...count me in

18. Oatsdad

It'd be interesting to compare profits for the various sets.

On one hand, "Imagine" almost certainly sold more than "Wild Life" or "RRS" - cheaper and more popular album.

But it's possible the Macca sets made more money because of their higher price points.

That said, the Macca sets were clearly also more expensive to producer because of all the paper goods involved. "Imagine" is more bare bones in that regard and obviously way cheaper to produce...

19. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I don’t think any of the Beatles or their estates are too concerned with that.

20. Oatsdad

Paul "bundles" when one - or both - of the albums is a tough sell on its own.

The Macca camp knows there'd be like 12 of us excited for "McCartney II" or "Pipes", so they wisely paired them with more beloved albums.

The "WL"/"RRS" thing was different because neither album is much liked. That was two wrongs making a right! :D

Both "POB" and "DF" remain popular among fans, so they don't need to be matched in the same way...

21. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

and that always brings the argument about what should or should not be included. The never ending battle of those who want music, video, books and anything else they give us to those who just want the bare bones music

22. Oatsdad

Oh, I disagree. I think they're very concerned with maintaining copyright!

OobuJoobu and longdist01 like this.
  23. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

oops, and yes, the numbers would be interesting to see actually

longdist01 likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Honestly, I care waaaay more about the musical contents than anything else.

That's why I like the "Imagine" set more than the Maccas: tons of outtakes.

I've not even looked at the books for most of the Macca SDEs I own! :hide:

applebonkerz and Oyster Boy like this.
  25. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

see, I fall in the middle. I see benefits to both but if I had my way....I'd probably lean towards your side

augustboy, Oyster Boy and longdist01 like this.