Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [2019+]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

My hope.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  2. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

If we don't get a Fireman Archive set (like you I think that would be great), then I hope we at least get them as vinyl reissues under that separate roll out that's happening.

3. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Flaming Pie didn't have the support of the label — the Spice Girls were their #1 priority and MPL had to arrange the promotion cycle with VH1 themselves.

Linda's death brought a new evaluation of her, but Rushes got no special focus nor did the anniversary of Band On The Run. He certainly wasn't a #1 pick for the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, being labelled #3 on the list behind Springsteen and Billy Joel.

Run Devil Run surprised critics that he'd do a rocking album instead of a grief-stricken record as expected, but the album wasn't a chartbuster nor a strong performer at the Grammys. Instead, the biggest claim it could have was the Internet demand for the free concert at the Cavern… a free concert, incidentally, that was better received than Working Classical or its PBS debut.

And if you still doubt Paul's relevancy, I have one word for you: Wingspan. The documentary aired on television and wasn't a huge ratings hit, while the album failed to incite the further Wings releases that were hoped for. He got more of a boost in sales from appearing at Live 8 than he did a documentary on his actions in the seventies. And the book fared poorly too.

The critics used McCartney's appearance as the closer of Concert For New York City to position Paul as the healer of America just as The Beatles had helped America after the death of JFK. It caused a push from select appearances to an American tour. After Paul headlined Party At The Palace, he did another tour that included a Russian stop that earned awards nominations for its film footage. We see Paul more at the Grammys, more in the news… since the 2002 tour — which has, if you look at it closely, not really stopped, just taken regular pauses — reaches back to 2001 in its origin of the band, then 2001 is the start of the rebirth. There were glimpses of hope (Flowers In The Dirt got shout outs as a return to form but the live album flopped) but this was the beginning of a continuous rise.

4. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

we could have some archives, boxes of rarities, maybe a live album featuring the horns section, a new fireman album (could be nice, I know few years ago there a mention of Paul will maybe work on a new fireman album, but I think it was just a rumor), maybe others things, Paul can really surprised us

5. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

It does have some gems; however absurd it may seem.

bagofsoup, Sean, angelees and 4 others like this.
  6. Brian from Canada

Exactly.
    Wanting bigger sets is one thing, but having the material is another. Elton John's box set of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road had to turn to covers to reach a big enough size, and we know Band On The Run doesn't have much because that's part of the saga of the album.

You'd end up with a set that has the album, tracks in progress, quadraphonic mixes — but not many other songs. It might make a 50th anniversary release like Imagine but at this point it'd be for the most diehard fans because the core of the set is already out.
    Whereas Red Rose Speedway was conceived as a double LP and left a lot sitting on shelves.

Lewisboogie, theMess and Mark Wilson like this.
  7. Brian from Canada

Nice pun. :D

I'd love if Press To Play came as a box with:
    1. the original 13 track CD remastered,
    2. the "rough" version produced by Phil Ramone with long version of "Good Times Coming/Feel The Sun" in the song list,
    3. singles/7" mixes including:
      1. "Once Upon A Long Ago" (LP version)
      2. "Press" (original version)
      3. "It's Not True" (7")
      4. "Hanglide"
      5. "Angry" (remix)
      6. "Spies Like Us"
      7. "Pretty Little Head" (7")
      8. "Yvonne"
      9. "Only Love Remains" (7")
      10. "Once Upon A Long Ago" (7")
      11. "Get Back" (Prince's Trust)
      12. "I Saw Her Standing There" (Prince's Trust)
      13. "Long Tall Sally" (Prince's Trust)
    4. remixes of singles — i.e., dub mix for "Press," 12" mix of "Pretty Little Head," extended mixes of "Seaside Woman"/"B-side to Seaside," "Spies Like Us" mixes, etc.
    5. the unfinished next album (aka Return To Pepperland)
    6. DVD/Bluray: The Paul McCartney Special
    7. DVD/Bluray: Once Upon A Video with the promo films from "Spies Like Us" through "Once Upon A Long Ago"

C_Jepson, jmxw, bagofsoup and 13 others like this.
  8. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

And if a Fireman box set ever appear, I would love to see the complete "Eletcric arguments" film of the sessions.
    (A few snippets of it is visible on the DVD into the Deluxe box of the album, but rumour has it that everything Paul played (i.e. the whole album) has been filmed.)

susyredstripe and theMess like this.
  9. JRSIV

JRSIV JRSIV Music Ltd.

The 17 year old me in 1992 would've had EVERY deluxe edition on a shelf with multiple Egypt Station vinyl & CD copies still in shrink-wrap stored away but since the Archive Collection began in my 30's I've been much more measured.

Still love Paul's music to death but buying the OG CD release of BOTR, then the 1993 remaster the month it came out (on a visit to London, Ontario as the 1993 reissues were not available in the US unless via import), then the 25th Anniversary...by the Archive Collection's release I just went with the "Special" 2CD edition seeing that that musical extras & physical ephemera wasn't enough to get my blood flowing.

Now with RAM I got the Deluxe & a few others but the mandatory Pavlovian fandom of my youth just isn't there anymore. I bought the RRS 2CD set and in Spotify assembled a playlist of the original double album running order (it's all there on those two discs). I may get more deluxes down the road, but I also look at them at their necessity sonically.

To me did FITD REALLY need ANOTHER remaster, being a CD era recording already remastered at the red book standard we actually listen to CD's on? No. London Town NEEDS one bad because the 1993 was not very good. RAM needed it and benefits from it. To my ears the 25 year anniversary of BOTR & the Archive are bearly indistinguishable.

So I try to make my choice by if the recordings really need the remaster...not if I need another 60 page book of photos I'll look at once and then store away on the shelf...

10. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I am hoping for colored vinyl of Flowers, Red Rose, Wild Life, Wings over America and maybe more first.
    Then "Back to the Egg"/"London Town" deluxe box issues next December.
    Then "Off the ground" box in 2020.

A Fireman box containing the albums would be cool too.

11. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Incredible that without a ton of label support and no tour in support of it, Flaming Pie still debuted at #2 and sold well.

I think that's a testament to the strength of some of those songs (not all are awesome), and also the power of the Beatles Anthology era, which Flaming Pie quickly followed.

I'm hoping for a deluxe FP box that includes demos of the albums songs and hopefully a few chestnuts from '94-'97 that never made the actual album. Maybe there are a few songs no one even knows about that he demoed in the mid 90s. I would venture to guess there are a few.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Tord, vallilalainen and andrewskyDE like this.
  12. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Perhaps it's best to think of this in terms of "likelihood to see an Archive release". Here are my thoughts ranked most likely to least likely:

London Town / Back To The Egg (likely will be bundled)

Flaming Pie (bundle with Rushes? would make for a powerful set)

Russian Album / Run Devil Run (I think these should be bundled)

Press To Play (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!! include Pizza and Fairytales concept)

Off The Ground/Fireman SOSF (someone suggested an OTG remaster, great idea!)

Tripping The Live Fantastic/Unplugged

Rushes (see Flaming Pie)

Wide Prairie

Electric Arguments

CACITBY (PLEASE! but it's Heather era and the vinyl reissue recently happened)

GMRTBS

Driving Rain (Someday after Paul is playing that Hofner in the sky, we will get this.)

Paul Is Live

Memory Almost Full

New

Classical music offerings

13. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I agree those vinyl reissues are definitely key here - All of them so far have been albums that have either had an Archive release, or look like they are for albums that aren't going to get one. Will be very interesting to see which batch are next, maybe in the Spring?

14. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

All joking aside, I still think Memory Almost Full is his best since Venus and Mars.

15. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Would they re-release Paul Is Live after Paul passes away?

jmxw and hazard like this.
  16. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Think Press will be released simultaneously with Broadstreet? or even packaged together like WINGS 71-73 with some kind of bridging material like the compiled and mixed by unissued "Cold Cuts" album, or some other unreleased material we don't have otherwise?

17. omikron

I think anyone thinking they could make money off of it will re-release Paul Is Live.

It certainly could be expanded to a 4-disc set (2 live music +2 soundchecks) but more realistically 3 discs.

Add Moving On video and live concert. Throw in a replica tour book, interviews, Linda photos other paraphernalia.

Bam! $250 set.

The soundchecks are the jewel here I think. There is some interesting stuff that sort off got touched on with Oobu Joobu.

Big Pasi likes this.
  18. omikron

They could do a Press To Play + Broadstreet bundle with bonus Pizza and Fairy Tales disc. That would certainly draw us in.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  19. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I'm thinking London Town/Back to the Egg and Broadstreet/Press to Play will be it for the Archive Collection. Off The Ground and up have already mostly been reissued as is since the series started, probably to get them back in print for a while. But who knows, I could be completely wrong. At the very least, I think we'll have everything from McCartney 1 through Flowers as archives.

20. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I believe up until Flaming Pie for the last studio album in the 20th century

21. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I agree. We know from @etcetera that Flaming Pie Archive has been completed for a few years.

22. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I did say I could be wrong. I want to be in this case. I actually would like all his albums to reissued as part of the archives

kevintee likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Retitled as Paul WAS Live:

[​IMG] ;)

Sean, ZippyPippy and Jerry Horne like this.
  24. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

^ Another clue for you all.

I hope the do a SE of Off The Ground. It's the only PM studio lp I've never heard.

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You may be in for a very long wait. I'd get a cheap used CD to hold you over.

Jerry Horne likes this.