Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [2019+]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Dec 9, 2018.

1. anthony_beat

anthony_beat Forum Resident

Mike we love and respect you. Thank you for the information. But you know that information was correct. Dates reschedule, cancel releases

Wide Prairie have another release date. You wrote that while postponed release.

This was information from UMG.
    That's right. 4 albums will be released.

Who Cares, cmi and MPLRecords like this.
  2. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

I hope the russian album gets remastered. It sure could use it!

Wingsfan2012 and forthlin like this.
  3. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Really? I always thought it was one of Paul's better sounding albums. Very dynamic and lots of room ambience. What don't you like about it?

Who Cares and omikron like this.
  4. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

I only have it on cd, but I think it lacks something I can't quite put my finger on. It's very shrill to my ears on a lot of the songs. It lacks warmth.

forthlin, Paul H and Rob Hughes like this.
  5. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

It would need more than a remaster to achieve what you want. The album was recorded that way for a reason and I like it.

Who Cares, jacden and MPLRecords like this.
  6. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

For the thread topic, I guess I don't have such particular wishes for the Archive Series, except that it continue on some reasonable schedule. Whether we get Back to the Egg/London Town first or else Flaming Pie or something else -- I don't have a strong feeling. It's all good. Anything that comes down the pike in deluxe form is good for me. I do very much hope that Press to Play comes out in grand form, but whether that happens this year or a few years down the road, it's basically all the same to me. I'll love it whenever it gets here.

supermd, Paul H, Sean Murdock and 3 others like this.
  7. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Unpluged goes with Tripping the Live Fantastic, while Choba B CCCP can be held for Run Devil Run.

That's what people said when there was a call for more Wings Archive releases — and now we're anxiously awaiting the last two, after getting the unexpected Wings 1972 release.

Personally, I'd say the track listing is wrong but the intention is not:
    • disc one is the original 13 track album as it was finally released on vinyl in the USSR
    • disc two has:
      • PS Love Me Do
      • It's Now Or Never
      • I Wanna Cry
      • I'm In Love Again
      • Cut Across Shorty
      • No Other Baby (1987 version)
      • Poor Boy
      • Take This Hammer
      • Lend Me Your Comb
      • Get Back (Prince's Trust)
      • I Saw Her Standing There (Prince's Trust)
      • Long Tall Sally (Prince's Trust)
    • disc three is the video disc with:
      • Live Aid appearance
      • Prince's Trust appearance
    The Wogan appearance should be moved to Press To Play, since it focuses on Paul's own solo material — and that set would also include the remixes of "Seaside Woman" and "B-Side to Seaside."

SixOClockBoos and Rob Hughes like this.
  8. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Why stick with the inferior 13-track version? The 14-track was released worldwide in 1991 and appears to be (thus far) the final statement on Choba's tracklisting (iTunes and other digital versions aside.)

Is "P.S. Love Me Do" tied into Choba somehow? Even if it isn't, it still makes sense to put it here since it was overlooked for the Flowers Archive. Nice touch.

With remixes in play, Press To Play has way too much as it is. The Wogan stuff is Paul re-recording old songs from the past, fitting in with the Choba theme perfectly. And why would remixes of Linda tracks make it to Press To Play? "Peacocks" and "Cow" didn't make it to Flowers, and these remixes could be held over for a potential Wide Prairie Archive set.

Who Cares likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Isn't the fact that he sometimes sings without moving his mouth a hint that it was lip-synched?

Or is this Macca's big reveal as a master ventriloquist? :D

Frank likes this.
  10. Yep. IIRC, during the promotional period for All the
    Best. Great versions of the songs. Always wanted official versions of these. I guess ripping from YouTube is the best we’ll get.

Who Cares likes this.
  11. Diego Esparcia

Diego Esparcia Forum Resident

Yes it does!

12. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I personally would like to have the 11 & 13 track version on CD and the 14 track on vinyl. But I know that won't be.
    So are we only getting the Russian album alone or are we getting those other albums at same time?

13. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It's not a huge deal to me either way, but in general I expect the Archive sets to have the original album on disc 1. You can debate whether the original Снова в СССР is the 13-track version MPL submitted or the 11-track version Melodiya initially released, but I don't think the 14-track lineup assembled three years later qualifies.

14. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I agree that the original album should be on disc 1, but I don't think they'll do it in this case.

15. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Let's hope it could be released on a rarities set in the vain of the 4-cd's set planned ten years ago...
    I could see a similar thing being released next year for the 10th anniversary of the Archive Collection...

Who Cares and MPLRecords like this.
  16. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

He hasn't commemorated the anniversary of any of his albums before (the 25th anniversary of Band on the Run notwithstanding) so I doubt there will be any anniversary celebration for a reissue program.

theMess and MPLRecords like this.
  17. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

That happen when he was promoting All The Best in Italy... with Wogan, in my opinion, is a mix live + recorded

theMess likes this.
  18. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

In theory at the same time...

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  19. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

But once London Town and Back To The Egg are remastered this year, the whole Wings period will be done, so next year, 2020, would be the perfect timing to put out a "Wings Anthology" that would cover the 1970-1980+ period with leftover unreleased and unheard tracks in the Archive.
    At least that's what I'd do, but unfortunately, I don't rule MPL :D

20. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Yes, after the 70's period is wrapped up, an anthology/outtakes/ultimate "Cold Cuts" style set would be awesome. But I do hope the archives continues with the 80's and 90's albums, and when those decades are covered maybe we can get anthology style sets for those decades too.

21. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I think we're more likely to get that 2CD/2DVD Wide Prairie than a Wings rarities box set at this point.

22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Who knows? It would similarly be interesting to see if they use the redesigned CD cover or the original Melodiya one. The only halfway comparable situation I can think of is Helen Wheels being inserted into Band On The Run. It's appeared on some CD reissues as part of the main program, been MIA on others, and was made a bonus track both in 1993 and 2010.

Who Cares likes this.
  23. Brian from Canada

The 13 track version is the version sent to members of the fan club, wasn't it? And then "I'm In Love Again" released after?
    Also, it spreads the tracks around a bit more.

It dates from a different set of sessions in 1987, but given that the Choba album is mostly covers anyway, it would indeed fit perfectly.

"Seaside Woman" was included on Red Rose Speedway. "B-Side To Seaside" might make it to London Town because it was part of those sessions. Also, Wide Prairie used the 7" remix of "Seaside Woman" already, and I don't see it getting a bonus disc of outtakes given the way the material was sought through for the compilation.
    (To me, Wide Prairie would be a book about Linda's life, some of her photography, the single CD, and then the DVD of the film about her photography.)

To my mind, Press To Play would ideally be:
    1. original 13 track CD remastered
    2. the alternate recordings, including the longer version of "Good Times Coming/Feel The Sun"
    3. the bonus audio covering 1985-1989, with: "Spies Like Us," "Yvonne," "Simple As That," "Hanglide," "Squid," "Love Come Tumbling Down," "Once Upon A Long Ago" (7" mix), "Atlantic Ocean," "Love Mix," "Big Day," "Return To Pepperland," "Christian Bop," "Same Love," "Don't Break The Promise" (demo), "New Moon Over Jamaica" (demo), a live performance of "Only Love Remains" and possibly one or two from the "Stranglehold" film session if there's space
    4. the remix CD (possibly digital only) with: "Spies Like Us" (party mix), "Spies Like Us" (the mix also known as tom), "My Carnival" (remix), "Seaside Woman" (12" remix), "B-Side To Seaside" (12" remix), "Press" (dub mix), "Pretty Little Head" (7" remix), "Pretty Little Head" (12" remix), "Angry" (remix), "It's Not True" (7" mix), "Talk More Talk" (remix), "Tough On A Tightrope" (full version), "Only Love Remains" (single mix), "Once Upon A Long Ago" (long version), "Once Upon A Long Ago" (extended version)
    5. a DVD with The Paul McCartney Special
    6. a DVD with:
      • "Let It Be" from Live Aid
      • promo films for "Spies Like Us," "Press," "Pretty Little Head," "Stranglehold," "Only Love Remains"
      • two different promo films for "Once Upon A Long Ago"
      • the Royal Variety Show performance of "Only Love Remains"
      • the Wogan performance
      • the Rupert ad for All The Best!
      • the non-Rupert ad for All The Best!

24. Brian from Canada

2020 would also be perfect for an Archive release of Tripping The Live Fantastic coupled with Unplugged.

Tripping The Live Fantastic already has a set of bonus tracks for disc three:
    • "Good Day Sunshine" (live Montreal)
    • "PS Love Me Do" (live Rio)
    • "Let 'Em In" (live Tokyo)
    • "All My Trials" (live Milan)
    • "Mull Of Kintyre" (live Glasgow)
    • Lennon tribute medley (live Liverpool)
    • "The Long And Winding Road" (rehearsal that appeared on "Figure Of Eight" single)
    • "Rough Ride" (rehearsal that appeared on "Figure Of Eight" single)
    • "C Moon" (soundcheck that appeared on "All My Trials" singles)
    Plus, if he can get the rights to do it, the charity version of "Ferry Cross The Mersey." So add a few more soundchecks, and it's really up to the video disc to fill out the rest — which Paul can do with the two promo films and some behind the scenes stuff.

Unplugged also has material for the second disc easily done: the 2 cuts released after as a single ("Things We Said Today" and "Midnight Special"), the 1 cut from the promo single ("Mean Woman Blues"), the two other unreleased cuts ("Matchbox" and "The Fool"), the other recording of "We Can Work It Out," and then the rehearsals, some of which made it to Oobu Joobu. Put the broadcast on the video disc and you're good to go.

Keep in mind that mid-2020 will also see Paul put everything on pause to push Let It Be, so a Wings Anthology might be too much on top. It makes more marketing sense to delay the anthologies until after the Archive series is done, because it can be used to launch further small CD/DVD sets like James Paul McCartney, One Hand Clapping, etc.

SixOClockBoos, omikron and MPLRecords like this.
  25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Just like how everything was paused when the White Album deluxe came out last year?

Who Cares, supermd, Frank and 6 others like this.