Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [2019+]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Dec 9, 2018.

1. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

"Good Times Coming/Feel the Sun" is certainly pop, as is "Tough on a Tightrope" (though arguably you could say it's not part of PTP). And though "Footprints" and "Only Love Remains" are more ballad-y, I don't think most people would argue if they were called pop tunes. And "Write Away" is jazzy pop.

2. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I didn't know anyone argued this. I am saying this genuinely too. Does anyone count the last 3 tracks on CD as album proper? I mean they were on the CD because Paul already knew they would be B-Sides. The CD gave the public extra as incentive to buy it as it wasn't the dominant format and also there were no CD singles. Even Paul's site shows it as a ten track album. I think if p2p were released today those 3 would just be the bonus target tracks.

mrjinks, Tord and MPLRecords like this.
  3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Hopefully within about 2 years time we’ll know.

Mark

omikron likes this.
  4. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Does Paul's site show "Ou Est Le Soleil" as part of Flowers In The Dirt?
    I think one of the biggest problems at MPL right now is consistency: Choba B CCCP is now available as 11 tracks digitally, the way the album was first released in the USSR, but in the UK/US it was 13. Press To Play counted those three extra tracks as part of the CD until that listing.

Though nothing could be worse than his digital offerings. Those who bought the albums in 2007 not only lost the bonus tracks, but there are tracks that are missing from their purchases because they've been replaced by the remaster — and others not. I can't re-download a full Tug Of War without having to buy it, for example. Thank goodness I kept a backup because I don't want to lose the remix of "My Carnival," extended single version of "Say Say Say" or the long version of "Goodnight Tonight."

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. Wiserforthetime

No Paul's site does not show Our est for flowers which kind of backs what I was saying. It was a sort of bonus. I think he at that time was thinking the vinyl might be the proper album still .the Russian one was released more than once with extra tracks and at different times in different countries so that makes sense to me.

6. Wiserforthetime

If you mean to say hopefully it'll be out by then and we will see how he places them I thin the will stick to what he has been doing. The CD will include them as it did then and the vinyl won't. That is the how they have been going. Sure things can change though.

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Yes, only I was thinking more of the 2 CD version rather than CD vs vinyl. Whether they’ll be placed on the first disc along with the album, or on the 2nd disc as bonus tracks.

Mark

8. Wiserforthetime

My guess would first disc. But that is an interesting thought to ponder while we wait for the release.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Yeah, the digital releases are pretty funky. No Bip Bop or Mumbo links either when Wild Life was "updated" at some point. The Archive edition rectifies this. Likewise, Ou Est... is indeed on the album proper on the Archive edition.

10. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Well, when the album was re-released in 1993, those three tracks were indicated as being on the album proper while only "Spies Like Us" and "Once Upon a Long Ago" were listed as bonus tracks.

Sean, Lewisboogie, Carlox and 2 others like this.
  11. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Fun fact: What Wings single was (in the UK) their biggest hit, their only number 1, Christmas number 1 at that, the first single to sell more than 2 million copies, the best selling single of all time until Band Aid, etc etc etc…

…and yet is not available for streaming or digital download at all?

Why it’s ‘Girls’ School’ of course! :D

So hopefully a London Town archive release will now make this song generally available for the first time online legally!

(Okay, yes, technically a double A-side with ‘Mull of Kintyre’ but really a B-side in all but name in this country…)

12. revolution_vanderbilt

Wasn't it previously available online when the digital catalog was first rolled out?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Great post!

It brought on a couple of questions/observations for me:

1) Might we get a “Wings of a Nightingale” demo? Would that come with Broad Street?

2) Glad I’m not the only one hankering for an expanded PTP.

3) Unrelated: I also hanker for an Archive Memory Almost Full—simply to have a CD version that’s listenable.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  14. Fab Four Revolution

Fab Four Revolution Forum Resident

I'm REALLY hoping Back to the Egg gets a re-release in 2019. There's so many great songs on that album and I can't wait to hear what's been sitting in the vaults from those sessions...

jpmosu and MerseyBeatle like this.
  15. Wiserforthetime

But it was only released as a CD. If in '93 the "Paul McCartney collection" would have been vinyl would they have been?
    I haven't denied they were part of the CD format and I think they will continue to be to fall in with the original.

16. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

It'll end up being just like Flowers was. The vinyl will be ten tracks, and the CD will add on the three bonuses.

Personally, I wish they wouldn't do that (as it gives the impression that Press To Play is a 13-track album), but it just seems likely.

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  17. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I've been thinking about the contents of a combo London Town / BTTE mega set. This is easily going to be a very major set.

Maybe some things belong on one set or the other better (you historians would know better):

London Town
    Disc1 proper album
    Disc2 LT additional songs, out takes and alternate mixes
    Disc3 bonus demo tape that exists of another 10 or so songs?

BTTE
    Disc1 proper album
    Disc2 additional songs, out takes and alternate mixes
    Disc3 tour rehearsals, Tug of War band sessions
    Disc4 Rupert

Potential tie-together mega set discs
    Disc1 Holly Days
    Disc2 Glasgow show

So, it's been in my mind that Glasgow would not get onto this set. Glasgow will be saved for the theorized Wings live set. That would make for a powerful set spanning 1973-1979.

This would allow for possibly two 3 disc sets for LT and BTTE with bonus discs Rupert and Holly Days. In fact you could probably fit both of those on 1 disc.

Thoughts? What else am I missing from this era? Not even getting into the Cold Cuts work done at this time so there is always that too.

supermd likes this.
  18. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

As much as I want to see Holly Days re-released, I can't see it going in.

jmxw, Lewisboogie, supermd and 3 others like this.
  19. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Cage - a total mystery why this was left off.

Tord and kevintee like this.
  20. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

2019 will be the 40th anniversary of BTTE.

Let's finish up the 70's.

klaatuhf and kevintee like this.
  21. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I wonder if after London Town and Back To The Egg get released (hopefully next year) if there'll be a RSD release of Cold Cuts. By now many of the tracks for the proposed album have been issued on their respective Archive collections except the ones during the sessions for the aforementioned albums. I'd love to hear a remastered "Did We Meet Somewhere Before," probably among my top 5 favorite solo Paul tunes.

22. revolution_vanderbilt

Save it for the Denny Laine Archive Series!

Supposedly it was cut in favor of Baby's Request. I don't see why both couldn't be included, but apparently Paul felt it was one or the other.

jmxw, Lewisboogie, Phil D and 2 others like this.
  23. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Easily the best of his unreleased tracks IMO. In my top 5 Wings songs.

24. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Given the instant sell out of the Big Barn Box, I imagine we'll get a similar motherlode for London Town / Back to the Egg. Hoping for these things:

Rupert
    Perhaps an "original" Back to the Egg with Cage, Daytime/Nighttime, etc. on it. Would love Arrow Through Me on vinyl without that distortion at the end.
    Glasgow and Kampuchea
    Cold Cuts stuff like the vocal version of Night Out or Love for You with Juber and Holly on it.
    Some of the fairly solid Wings studio jam sessions.
    Back to the Egg TV special.
    Rockestra Special.
    Maybe some posters would be fun. Or a promotional fried egg.

jmxw and Lewisboogie like this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

[​IMG]

Boognish, omikron and forthlin like this.