Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

That wasn’t the case with the PM.com exclusive versions of Egypt Station, so why would it be true now?

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

A whole cd of Rough Mixes for "Wild Life?" I thought the original album was rough mixes??

3. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

Dreading the announcement of the Uk price (assuming it comes) for the limited double super deluxe thing.... probably gonna be in the region of £350 at least. It’s horrible what these box sets do to me... I probably won’t bother (I felt priced out by FITD!!!) but then I look at it....

4. McCartney_Legacy

McCartney_Legacy Forum Resident

I'm guessing that we might get to hear some of these songs pre-overdubs.

5. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I hope that is true, but it's not been the case with other PM.com exclusives, such as the Tug of War limited set. I think the price is obscene for what you're getting versus the 2 individual super deluxe sets, 1 CD and a book for 150 bucks. I of course have the option not to buy, but that isn't the point, this is exploitation of the fan base.

6. Calico

Calico Senior Member

And hopefully without the terrible edit on "Dear Friend".

adiba and FKA002 like this.
  7. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

In spite of the fact that the McCartney sets are very nicely curated (albeit usually a little light with musical content) they are turning out the be the ones I have most trouble pulling the trigger on (and I did for the Big Blue Dylan box and Pink Floyd Early Years). This set looks very nice but if it clocks in at a UK price of around £400 it does means that prices are being pushed to breaking point when other sets such as the Village Green set and Imagine Ultimate collection seem much more fairly priced.

It took me a while to eventually go for the Flowers In The Dirt set, which I thought was overpriced in the scheme of things and had some very off-putting elements - the primary one being the download fiasco (we really should have all received a complimentary extra disc for this). When it hit a price point I was willing to accept I did purchase a copy and the content and music was of course of a high standard. But if always feels a little odd when I take it off the shelf (which I have just done while writing this) - sort of incomplete.

I think someone else pointed out that in the past Paul did tend to be quite generous with his packaging (gatefolds, printed inner sleeves, booklets, stickers etc.) but of late these SDEs have felt like moneygrabs.

I'm waiting for the announcement and will go through a consideration process (which I did not have to do with the other orders I have placed this year). It has been an expensive year for these sets and throwing this one in at the end at a premium price point does grate a little, paricularly when you consider the total cost of the Imagine Ulimate collection, the expansive hardback book and the bluray release of Gimme Some Truth/Imagine films.

There has been talk of a live box at some point. Do we think that this extra live disc will be unique? If it is then I guess people will be forced into an expensive purchase. If it ultimately ends up as part of a live collection down line then people will feel cheated. If you cannot justify the purchase price of this deluxe, deluxe set then you will always feel disappointed that the live disc is out of your financial grasp. These feelings should not be part of collecting music from your favourite artist.

OK, moan over. What do other people think?

On the plus side. I'm spinning Flowers In The Dirt at the moment and it is a wonderful album.

The Band, planckera, mrjinks and 4 others like this.
  8. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

The Band and FKA002 like this.
  9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Gosh this thread has moved on 30 pages since coffee at Shenley Orchard T Rooms yesterday. No mention on UDiscover.com, no mention on the official website or Amazon UK. I have ordered both from Amazon.com thanks to a link provided here ($50 in taxes so hoping for UK details soon). It really has been bumper box set mania this autumn. December the 7th is real late though.

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Legit HD pics of the new Archive albums! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  11. nedwho

nedwho Forum Resident

Absolutely. It’s off topic but one of the infuriating things about ‘downloadgate’ was that it meant ones of Paul’s best 80s cuts was completely neglected - despite the Costello connection that the reissue focused on!

12. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Not sure if I missed the track list for the Live In Europe extra disc here but looking around I found this track listing which may be of interest. I can't guarantee where it was sourced but it looks interesting and includes a much larger number of tracks than we are used to on these McCartney deluxe editions:

1. Big Barn Bed [Live In Newcastle/1973]
    2. Eat At Home [Live At The Hague/1972]
    3. Smile Away [Live In Berlin/1972]
    4. Bip Bop (Link) [Live At The Hague/1972]
    5. Mumbo (Link) [Live In Antwerp/1972]
    6. Blue Moon Of Kentucky [Live At The Hague/1972]
    7. 1882 [Live In Berlin/1972]
    8. I Would Only Smile [Live In Antwerp/1972]
    9. Give Ireland Back To The Irish [Live In Groningen/1972]
    10. The Mess [Live In Berlin/1972]
    11. Best Friend [Live In Antwerp/1972]
    12. Soily [Live In Berlin/1972]
    13. I Am Your Singer [Live At The Hague/1972]
    14. Seaside Woman [Live In Groningen/1972]
    15. Wild Life [Live At The Hague/1972]
    16. My Love [Live At The Hague/1972]
    17. Mary Had A Little Lamb [Live At The Hague/1972]
    18. Maybe I'm Amazed [Live In Groningen/1972]
    19. Hi, Hi, Hi [Live At The Hague/1972]
    20. Long Tall Sally [Live In Groningen/1972]

The Band, intv7 and Shak Cohen like this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

You kidding! There's more coming!? Don't make me broke!!!
    [Edit:] Ah yes, I read about Wings Over Europe last night...

maccawings likes this.
  14. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

This post was referring to the Wings Over Europe bonus in the bundle.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yes, sorry I'm a few million pages behind here. Read about Wings Over Europe last night already.^^

dajokr likes this.
  16. adiba

adiba Forum Resident

And the trumpet solo on "Some People Never Know"!

McCartney_Legacy likes this.
  17. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I am sort of grateful this has happened as overnight I have had a bit of a Damascene revelation arising from the pricing of this set. I have all of the Archive release sets in one form or another but I have only listened to any of the exclusive content (i.e. content that had not been previously available) once, with the exception of Flowers In The Dirt where the Costello collaborations get played regularly. Same goes for the Pepper box except for the 5.1 mix which I have played twice. And this extends to big boxes by The Who, Ian Hunter, Richard Thompson, The Byrds, Bruce Springsteen and many more.

This need to own it all even though I never listen to it is a sickness and it needs to stop. I have pre-ordered the White Album box but the only stuff that I will return to is the Esher Demos so I only need the three disc. Same goes for these. I want to hear and see it all but probably only once. The two disc sets and a few astute downloads are probably enough (along with the RRS "original" vinyl just becase it looks so groovy).

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

So, looks like I have to wait a bit longer for the Red Rose Speedway set, as it is just a few bucks too expensive for me this moment.^^

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

With the riches to be found on these two sets, I feel like I'm being harsh in feeling disappointed that the 'complete 1973 Elstree tv performance isn't to be included. It was obviously filmed in its entirety but if it's not coming out now, then I guess it never will.

I'll have to accept that I - and indeed the whole world - will have to forever miss out on the sight of the 15-year old me in my 70's tank top, groovin' to the likes of When the Night and Big Barn Bed.

Talking of the JPMc TV show, I also notice Gotta Sing, Gotta Dance hasn't made it to the bonus-track listing. I know its not the greatest song, but was hoping finally for a nice quality, stereo mix - it must surely exist? I wonder what quality audio we can expect on the actual JPMc dvd itself?

20. Thrillington

The fidelity of the videos (and their audio) on these sets has always been lacking. MPL tends to present them ‘as is’ from the archive, with little to no restoration. Exclusions include Rockshow and now Bruce McMouse.

It’s a shame really, but if it’s a decision between having them as-is, or not having them at all because they don’t want to spend the money restoring them, I’d rather have them.

Mr. Explorer and lavalamp3 like this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

My guess is the hi-res audio might be available later on sites like HDtracks. Happened with the other Archive sets as well.

22. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I have recordings of a few of the 72 shows (Arles, Antwerp, The Hague, Montraux) and it's a lot of the same caliber as Wild Wife: sparse, loose and rough around the edges.

But the recordings are so a lot of fun if you get past the reason most of us don't like Wild Life.

There are some odd and brash choices in that setlist. Mary Had A Little Lamb . . . live !? Linda singing on stage still in her learning phase with I Am Your Singer AND Seaside Woman !? Henry's Blues?

What we are getting though to make it all better is practically a whole setlist of songs completely new and foreign to us in the released world.

Wings Over Europe will best be viewed by us as a historical document and a fun little view into a very early Paul solo career where he's risking it all. Putting all his cards on the table to make a new name for himself and rise to the top of the world once again.

23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The live disc included on the super-deluxe will if the sound-quality is fine blow the s-t out of any other Paul live album when it comes to pure rock n roll energy. Believe one who was there. Can t really believe this is the only way this will be available this way only but if so-Im not goin to risque missing it out

24. Thrillington

I can imagine it being released, maybe on vinyl, as a RSD exclusive in the future?

If not, I suppose they’re saving ‘73 tracks for a reason (boxset). To go with ‘75? Wings over the World? Kampuchea?

Add a potential Live ‘79 disc in a hypothetical London Town/Back to the Egg box set and suddenly we have albums for all Wings tours. Can you have predicted that even a few years ago?

25. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

No it won’t. But you will be able to buy the two individual boxes for well under $300 in due course.

Wasn’t the JPMcC special recorded to video tape with mono audio? If so there’s no upgrading to be done, it can’t be HD-ed and 5.1-ed. Is it possible the full Elstree is lost?

tonewheeltom and Mr. Explorer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.