Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Ohhh, well, that's different :laugh:

theMess likes this.
  2. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

One thing I would like to see, which I doubt will ever appear, is a boxed set of the full Kampuchea shows, so not only the Wings set but the entire sets by The Who, Queen, Rockpile etc. Licensing and egos would probably prevent it, particularly as the album in its original form has never appeared on CD (to the best of my knowledge).

3. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

There is only really one left I really want and that's Back to the Egg!

4. Syd Avett

Syd Avett Forum Resident

Amen! I fervently hope the next releases are Wings Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway which is Paul at his solo best! The conventional wisdom(CW) we were all taught from the 1970's books on The Beatles in relation to Solo Paul is that John and George exploded out from the Beatles implosion while Paul mucked about and did not get it together until Band On The Run.

The JSD Postulate says the CW on Solo Paul is ass-backwards and just as John and George did in fact come out blazing, Paul too shot out from the Beatles' trainwreck doing it his own way, making honest, funky, organic and rocking music! McCartney, Ram, Wings Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway are amazing offerings letting listeners into the very heart and soul of James Paul McCartney!

But alas, overly serious and political Rock critics and some well-entrenched, humorless, stuffy Beatles fans did not like a funky and free Paul so they pronounced these efforts failures and thus the CW was written. Paul himself tragically bought into the false CW and went back into his "Beatle Paul Box" and what we got is BOTR a highly enjoyable and polished album but the beginning of the end of Paul's funky and free period. To emphasize this change, Paul included Beatles images in the original promo film for the title song "Band On The Run" when up to then, Paul was only looking forwards not backwards.

Postulate Era Paul has been maligned but we have seen the rehabilitation of McCartney(Neil Young proclaiming it a great album) and especially Ram where ROLLING STONE even did an updated review of it as the original RS Ram review is what helped put that bogus CW in place!

It is now up to us to rehabilitate Wings Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway! What better way than glorious re-issues in the biggest Macca box sets yet! Reclaim your rightful glories Macca, break out of the "Beatle Paul Box" and make music like you once did on those first four Postulate Era albums and the various singles of that period! Be funky, rocking and free once again, we have seen glimpses of it since!

MsMaclen, Piiijiii, JLPMacca and 5 others like this.
  5. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

No, there's hardly any that we know of. And since Paul was still a Beatle during that time (and quite a depressed one), it's possible he wasn't that active in the studio, especially since he had no idea he'd need the tracks for a solo career. Arguably, the first solo album has quite a lot of instrumentals and filler-ish tracks which also indicates that Paul didn't have much material that he thought release-worthy.

Also, we do know that by that time he'd written a few of his later solo songs (Another Day, Back Seat of My Car, Castle of the King of the Birds), so they could've/would've been included if they'd been available as proper recordings.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  6. Syd Avett

Syd Avett Forum Resident

Red Rose Speedway would be very exciting because there is a ton of material that could be released as that was supposed to be a double album! I am afraid that the Wings Wild Life session may not have a lot of unreleased original songs but that will not be the case for RRS!

RRS could be as fascinating to us as FITD is right now with Paul giving us an in-depth look at his work with Elvis Costello.

Dare we hope that both WWL and RRS boxes would include complete 1972 and 1973 Wings concerts respectively, back when said concerts were more spontaneous and organic?!

7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Never understood what people heard in Back To The Egg. Love Macca, but.......................

Paul H, Tord and Solace like this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Must confess I didn't hear that album from start to end before but I love the 'Rockestra Theme' and the album cover. Think I'll be more keen for it when a deluxe edition came round.^^

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Both LPs would be great additions with live stuff! :edthumbs:

Syd Avett, andrewskyDE and theMess like this.
  10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am in the same boat; I can just about justify the US price, but at the moment I cannot pay the UK price.

Paul H and Johnny Reb like this.
  11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

What a fantastic comment; you have perfectly described the critical bias against Paul's 'less overtly serious' music, and captured what it is that I love about his 'natural' first run of albums, before 'BOTR' was recorded.

I completely agree that both 'WL' and 'RRS' would make great reissues and box-sets, especially with contemporary live material added to them, and they could both sound wonderful with a similar remaster to those that the other reissues have received. There are a large amount of outtakes and bonus songs that could be added, including some fantastic stand-alone singles from the era.

I think that in light of the re-evaluations of 'McCartney', 'McCartney 2' and 'Ram', it would not be surprising to see 'RRS' in particular get positively reappraised, and 'Wild Life' has already gained some critical following: Wild Life: One McCartney Album’s 45-Year Journey From Appalling to Amazing

I would be extremely happy if Paul released these two albums next, maybe to be followed by 'Flaming Pie' (because Paul seems to like jumping through the decades with these releases), which could be released alongside 'OTG', before finishing the 70's off with 'London Town' and 'BTTE'. Truthfully I would be happy to have all 4 remaining Wings albums together, but I can't see that happening.

Mr. Explorer and Syd Avett like this.
  12. Syd Avett

Syd Avett Forum Resident

I love your enthusiasm TheMess! I really dig BOTR and all that follows but to me Paul was at his coolest early on as he was emotionally coming to acceptance of life without the Beatles! It was a rough period for him it seems but his early solo music shouts aloud of freedom and happiness in a simpler life now that it was just him and his growing family. There was nothing wrong with Paul writing and singing about the joys of nature and his family but that wasn't acceptable to the politicized Rock Press in 1970 to 1973 and let's face it, it was not okay with some of our fellow Beatles fanatics who always wanted "Eleanor Rigby" or Paul's contributions to Side 2 of Abbey Road!

As a fan, I am very proud of how John, Paul and George emerged from the Beatles musically(I just wish they were cooler with each other but no one fights like brothers!). Even Ringo was unfairly slammed as he was way ahead of his time doing an album of old classic standards produced by the best in the music business decades before it became vogue and doing a C&W album with the top Nashville cats! How cool are both of those!

Bruce Springsteen Box Sets of his albums include contemporaneous concert DVDs to the subject album and how amazing if Paul would do that for WWL and RRS as there may not be a lot of filmed content to supplement those albums like there is for FITD! Of course I hope the DVD for RRS includes the restored James Paul McCartney ATV television special but concert films of early, imperfect but hard rocking Wings would be sublime!

13. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Is the JSD Postulate some kind of book or source? Or is that just how @Syd Avett refers to his own opinions? Either way I agree!! Ram is his best album, and both WL and RRS share a lot of its fantastic organic qualities

Syd Avett and theMess like this.
  14. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I've said it before but perhaps worth adding to this thread:

I believe that what's keeping the Archive Collection alive is the dangling carrot of Wild Life/Red Rose Speedway and some potentially amazing extra content. Once we have those 2, I think that's game over.

So, although they are the 2 I want the most (in McCartney/McCartney II/Band On The Run book format please!), they are the 2 I dread seeing the announcement for, as that could be the end.

There are 3 nice pairs outstanding to bring us up to and including Flowers, and so if we're ever going to see Broad Street/Press To Play, then they are surely next (unless he's going more recent with Off The Ground and/or Flaming Pie).

That then leaves us with hopefully London Town/Back To The Egg next, followed by the start of Wings.

Maybe we could then enter "Archive Collection: Phase 2" and get the rarities package(s) we've been hoping for for years?

Mr. Explorer and Syd Avett like this.
  15. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I don't you'll see OTG though he has a lot more to release from that album than just the Costello collaborations that were on that album.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. The Fiftieth Beatle

The Fiftieth Beatle Forum Resident

I love that album. One of his hardest rocking albums. Really liked that final lineup of Wings. Wished they had stayed together a bit longer. Juber is a fantastic guitarist.

17. The Fiftieth Beatle

Flowers and Off the Ground would have made sense as a pairing.

18. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I am going to stick with "Mr. Rodger's hint"- double play of Wild Life/Red Rose Speedway all TBA because of the new Paul studio album maybe late 2017??

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. Wingsfan2012

Arnie, did not even think of that pairing- an Alpha/Omega of Wings.....wow...does sound pretty cool!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. The Fiftieth Beatle

As long as we get all the Wings releases in the Archive Collection, I'll be good. Would hate to think we'd get Pipes of Peace, but not Red Rose, London Town and Back to the Egg. Don't care too much about Wild Life, although I want it to complete the Wings set.

Mr. Explorer and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  21. Wingsfan2012

As has been discussed on the "Flowers" thread, they have 3 pairings they could do next....

1) Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway
    2) London Town and Back To The Egg
    3) Broad Street and Press To Play

That covers all the studio albums if they elect to stop with "Flowers" chronologically...............

22. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

You're really not a fan of 'Flowers', are you? ;)

I wouldn't otherwise dispute the facts of what you say, but I think you need to look at the bigger picture, ie. how Paul wants us to view his career. The things which have driven the Archive Collection releases so far are hits and critical acclaim. Whatever you think of it, 'Flowers' is generally held in higher critical regard than 'BTTE' -- it has the Costello angle, the "it revitalised McCartney's career" angle, it heralded his return to the world concert stage, and so. And it did hit No.1 in the UK, his last album to do so. In my opinion, there are a lot of half-truths and cliches in there which MPL has shamelessly pedalled in promoting the new package, but -- as I say -- this all fits in with how I think Paul wants us to view his career. Presumably it's album he is proud of, and that's fair enough. And it does have his last transAtlantic Top 30 hit.

On the other hand, he seems to have zero enthusiasm for 'BTTE', which he seems to view as "just another Wings album", which came out at a time when he has confessed to becoming bored with the whole band dynamic. Check out both Wingspan book and DVD -- it barely gets a look-in at all. It also probably carries a sour taste for him because it was his first album following his mega-bucks deal with Columbia and largely under-delivered on expectations; it was accompanied by a UK tour other band members have said Paul wasn't happy with, and the annus horribilis of 1980 followed soon afterwards.

Laurence Juber has said work was done fairly recently on 'BTTE', so I would expect it to appear in some kind of remastered form sooner or later, alongside the other albums Paul doesn't like to talk about -- I would just be surprised if it was in a lush Archive Collection Deluxe set. 'Flaming Pie' -- a No.2 both sides of the Atlantic, with uniformally good reviews, the "inspired by The Beatles Anthology" angle, the involvement of George Martin, Ringo, Jeff Lynne, Steve Miller and (crucially, for the last time) Linda -- would seem a much more logical choice for the next Archive edition, based on what we've had so far.

But, having said all that, when it comes to this reissue programme....

[​IMG]

mrjinks, Mr. Explorer and Paul H like this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That #3 pairing will be a hard one to promote, especially together. Releasing both Broad Street and Press To Play simultaneously would create a poorer impression than just releasing them separately.

24. Rollie

Rollie Forum Resident

Maybee some day you will understand! :shrug: It's an album you just throw on and crank up.........................then grab a favorite drink! :agree:

JeffreyB and somebodywhocares like this.
  25. The Fiftieth Beatle

Those scream to be included as part of a 'Complete Albums box set' as like you said, it would be pretty hard to promote them as part of the Archive Collection, although I'd certainly buy them.

Mumbojunk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.