„Paul McCartney Archive Collection“ sound quality?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, May 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m starting this thread because I want to know your opinion about the sound quality of these remasters! I personally really appreciate the Archives because they sound very analogue in my opinion, especially in comparison to other remasters. The only one I don’t like is Tug Of War because it’s a inferior and unnecessary remix instead of the fantastic original mix. Now it’s your turn:)

Edit: I’m talking about the CD versions of the normal albums!

Zongadude, DK Pete and jricc like this.
  2. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Agree with you on the Tug of War remix.
    Personally i think they all sound great, probably the best sounding series on cd (except for maybe the DCC's). In my opinion, the only Archive that falls short in terms of sound is Wild Life. For me, the FAME Wild Life cd edges the Archive out for clarity. I was actually surprised when I did an A/B comparison.

DK Pete and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It’s all amazing except Red Rose Speedway and Wild Life. Something changed with those. Back to amazing with the subsequent Flaming Pie.

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I very rarely listen to the remasters, the archives are all about the outtakes and demos and I usually reach for an original LP for all of em if I want to hear the album proper

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  5. Sgt. Abbey Road

My problem is that only have Band On The Run, Wings Over America, Wings Greatest, Tug Of War, Give My Regards To Broad Street, Flowers In The Dirt, Egypt Station, Amoeba Gig and McCartney III on vinyl:laugh:

6. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

There are known "edit" issues on two of the Archives.

Wild Life has an extra beat towards the end of Love Is Strange.
    Venus And Mars has a similar glitch in Magneto and Titanium Man.

They are not sound quality issues, per se [in that they aren't about EQ or compression, etc.], but they do make my brain double-take every time I hear them... :(

7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Flaming Pie also on Souvenir

8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don’t recall the one on Magneto, I have to relisten. The one in Love Is Strange is painful. The very first time I heard it was on the CD version and I thought my player was on the way out.

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

For the most part, I think the archive remasters improve on the originals. Unfortunately in a couple of cases , this applies more so to the CD versions than the vinyl. I was hoping for the correction of some IGD issues on Ram and side one of RRS…frustratingly they sound bad as ever.

10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yeah. But the weird thing is that the single version doesn't have that issue.

So it's not like somebody just wasn't familiar enough with the song to catch it... the correct way for it to sound is right there in the other version...

:cussing:

Sgt. Abbey Road and DK Pete like this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Interesting…because it’s on the vinyl as well.

12. Sgt. Abbey Road

I have a specific question: What do you think of the Archive remaster of Band On The Run? I personally think that it sounds much better than the 25th anniversary edition:cool:

andy75 and DK Pete like this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I also think it does; it sounds smoother. The best tell tale sign is when the synth comes in at the start of the title track; in the 25th version it’s ear piercing…sounds nicer on the archive.

14. Sgt. Abbey Road

Yes, that’s also my impression! The 2010 remaster sounds more like a LP:righton:

DK Pete likes this.
  15. threeheadedmonkey

threeheadedmonkey Forum Resident

I have the archive V&M on vinyl, but never noticed a glitch in Magneto? Where in the song is it located?

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I basically asked the same question…I have both the vinyl and CD versions and I can’t remember a glitch.

17. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

The RRS double vinyl LP is not great. The new tracks are about 10% louder than the original album tracks. Someone was sloppy in the mastering. It’s a disappointment.

18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I have to go back and listen to it again to be sure. I think it may be a bit more subtle than the Love In Song one.

But others have commented on it, too:

19. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I agree that these remasters, by and large, are the best Sir Paul has ever sounded on CD. And there are very few remaster series that I would place in the same rarified air (a hair's breath away from DCC quality).

The Byrds Legacy CD remasters (with bonus tracks) and the Neil Young Archive Series. That's pretty much about it. Luckily, Sir Paul and Neil are two out of my four favorite artists, so that's convenient. Less convenient for my pocketbook. ;)

Ariel Aditya and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  20. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

General Q-Does the Flaming Pie 2 cd archive release sound substantially better than the initial release? Thx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.