Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

No, no. He must be thinking of the castle from Beautiful Night which features Ringo who ALWAYS wears dark glasses.

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

This thread has reached its nadir.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If this thread has reached its nadir, then its time to get it back on track:

The old Pipes Of Peace CD from the Paul McCartney Collection in the early 1990s had these 3 bonus tracks: Twice In A Lifetime; We All Stand Together; and Simple As That. But if etcetera's post is judged to be accurate, none of these previous bonus tracks seem to be included on the upcoming Archive release.

Should they be? And if not, where else should they go on other future Archive releases?

Arnie

Jjuanjo and rstamberg like this.
  4. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

etcetera's list doesn't include any previously-on-CD tracks, and if there are supposed to be 14 tracks on each bonus disc, there's a bit of wiggle room. Plus, while I'm sure they're all in consideration, I'd be shocked if the final bonus disc contains four versions each of "Say Say Say" and "The Man." I mean, I personally wouldn't protest it, but it does seem excessive to have half the bonus disc consist of just two songs. And "Simple As That" fits better with Press to Play chronologically.

Here's a question for everyone--if they're legally able to make it happen, should one of the bonus discs include "The Girl is Mine"? "Say Say Say" has shown up on a Michael Jackson compilation, and TGIM was a big hit. And if so, should it be on Tug of War (closer to the release of Thriller) or Pipes of Peace (to keep all the MJ collaborations together)? Also...I'm sure I'd read this before, but "Say Say Say" and "The Man" were recorded in 1981--why did Paul sit on them for so long? It worked out in the end, because the success of Thriller gave them a big boost, but considering Paul released an album in the meantime, why would he leave out some superstar duets? Was ToW too duet-heavy already?

5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It could very well have inspired it.

I go to Rye often, normally on walks and I always love walking along the country road running along the outer edges of his property, because you can see his land from there, and it is strange to think that an actual Beatle lives there.

6. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

The round house he purchased in '75 was called Waterfalls Estate and is right down the road from his current home.

gswan, theMess and OobuJoobu like this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Ok I give up here it is- the song everyone likes to hate

JDeanB likes this.
  8. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Like anthontherun, I think "Simple as That" should go on Press to Play, it fits better there both chronologically and sonically.

The other two I'd like to see here, but maybe they'll turn up on a future Give My Regards deluxe? I could certainly see "We All Stand Together" end up there, it was released around the same time.

Paul H and theMess like this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Well, Christine WAS recording her self-titled album in 1983! That's about as close as this story gets! It was recorded in Switzerland and the UK, IIRC. Produced by Russ Titelman, and guesting musicians included Clapton, Steve Winwood and Lindsey Buckingham. No Mr McCartney!

Nice laid back album, if you haven't heard it. Though I'm sure you have!:)

AppleCorp3 and theMess like this.
  10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I have heard it, and I really like most of the album. I know that McCartney was not involved, but I wonder if at one point he was going to produce it?

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

I've no idea. I don't remember hearing the rumours. I'd imagine Paul would be quite busy around this time. Was Broad Street filmed in 1983? Of course, dear old POP was released this year!

It's a shame they never got together, though there are a lot of artists who Paul could have teamed up with that I'd have been more interested in... It would be great if he teamed up with Barry Gibb now. Imagine the melodies!

theMess likes this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

You are right; I imagine that Barry and Paul would write really well with each other. Barry has said quite a few times over the last couple of years that he wants to work with Paul, and I really hope that they do something together.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Hope they do it soon. Last time I saw Barry, I was shocked at how frail he looked. Even though Paul is 4 years older, he seems a lot sturdier!

Two of the best melody men in the history of music. Combining their forces has got to be worth considering, hasn't it?

14. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

My lovely wife gave some FM-related stuff last Xmas like this solo album.
    I haven't heard it yet, though.

About The Girl Is Mine making a possible appeareance on a bonus disc, it depends on where Paul stands these days regarding Michael and if he feels like going through the trouble of dealing with Sony/Epic, MJ's label.

15. Bobby Morrow

Christine's album is nice. 2 or 3 tracks drag, but the songs are pretty typical of the 'Mirage' FM era. She did another album about 10 years ago, 'In The Meantime', which is OK too. Her voice has aged very well.

I suppose 'The Girl Is Mine' belongs on the reissue, but it was never a favourite of mine so I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't appear.

16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Good god, no! I'd rather have the Kanye collaboration stuck on the reissue then The Doggone Girl Is Mine! For my money it's by FAR the most embarassing track ever associated with Paul (and since it's a Michael "composition", I think we can leave it in his discography - did Paul even play on it?).

hazard likes this.
  17. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

That's probably Toto playing on TGIM. They were MJ's backing band on Thriller. No bad word from me about Toto, though!

somebodywhocares likes this.
  18. well there are plenty of other Macca threads to interest and entertain you. And they are Free! :tiphat:

19. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

That 1984 McVie solo album has a lot of GREAT tracks, some filler (that's more ho-hum boring than anything)

Of course the singles... Got a Hold on Me and Love Will Show Us How are good. Also The Challenge is a song I played quite a bit. Who's Dreaming This Dream is also good.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

All true. I like Keeping Secrets and I'm The One as well.

21. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Absolutely. Love Paul and I do read the other threads. Like I said, it was a realization that occurred as I was entering the thread, not before. I've been reading the Archive Collection threads from the get go. However, I don't think I'm alone in starting to lose interest in the series, and I'm a Big Macca fan.

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Well, I guess I couldn't expect it to go the way I want the entire time.
    So far, I have been happy with the release schedule.
    To me, the next 2 releases (and the last 2 I really want to see special editions for) would be Red Rose and London Town.
    Hopefully they are next.

23. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I'm surprised that Twice in a Lifetime is missing from the rumoured tracklistings but then I've never been sure it was put in the right place. I sincerely hope that it, along with We All Stand Together, is being held back for the Broad Street set. I know it's not well-liked but I think a box containing the original album, outtakes, material like the two songs mentioned above plus the David Foster tracks and, of course, a DVD or two with the film, Rupert film and appropriate videos would be fabulous.

24. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Woo-hoo! Agreed :laughup:

25. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

He did sang the lowest note of his recording career - literally, not metaphorically, lol - on it though ;).

theMess, supermd, Calico and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.