Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Yes.

2. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Since the topic of Holly Days is raised (thank you Henrik!), I have a question: I bought a CD copy of this (somewhere in the Gamla stan of Stockholm some years ago), legit I presume, which is a mono re-processed stereo version, if I recall correctly, maybe also on a French label. I presume the original LP was a mono - is that right? And was there ever a mono or a true stereo CD release? Thanks! RH

Henrik Jutbring likes this.
  3. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

If it means leaving things out that we don't have, then no. I'd much rather have a '72 European show as an extra. The Hague was obviously recorded - I would prefer that over something that is already sitting about 5 feet from me.

4. leeroy jenkins

The LP is mono. I never got this one on CD so can't help you there.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  5. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

The Discogs article suggest fake stereo which resonates well with my memory. I also have the french reissue, but never opened it. I rely on a needledrop from the UK 1st press. I love the sound of fun and joy that Paul, Linda & Denny must have had recording it.

6. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

That's my biggest gripe about this reissue campaign. There are not independent/separate realeases. Instead we get piece-mealed "79 Glasgow", and "One Hand Clapping", which I feel should have been separate, COMPLETE, issues.

7. bward

bward Senior Member

I'd rather have that too, but that's not the way the Archive Collection is rolling out.

However, just as the packaging changed along the way, so could attitudes about what should be released. I just wouldn't count on it, though.

theMess likes this.
  8. leeroy jenkins

If not separate issues, then at least presented in complete form - e.g. complete Glasgow with Back to the Egg. It's pretty obvious to me that these were not mapped out prior to the beginning of the campaign, but are assembled as each one is picked for the next release.

The bonus/extra tracks are at the very bottom of the priority list for MPL which is why these releases are so frustrating for me.

theMess likes this.
  9. leeroy jenkins

I'm not counting on it. On the contrary - I would be amazed if it did.

rafael_szot and bward like this.
  10. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Thanks for this, supermd! I've been wanting it for a while - I do hope it stills come with the bonus CD.

Not to digress from the Holly Days discussion (as it's one of favorite albums!) but....

I feel I have to confess and mention that I've cancelled my Pipes Of Peace deluxe set preorder from Amazon.ca. Even at that terrific price point, I just can't do it. While listening to the LP again last night, I was reminded again of all the things I grew to dislike - and dislike intensely about it (I already had that rant in this post so won't go there again here). I already knew I won't feel differently about the album when the reissue comes out, and to pay even $55 for CDs (and hi-res downloads) I'll rarely listen to, a DVD I'll watch maybe once and related books I for once am not that interested in either (64 pages of photos from the Pipes of Peace video shoot?)... I guess finding that POP promotional poster and standup last week got me all worked up but I've calmed down now! (Fwiw, that preorder $$ has already gone Elvis Costello's way for his audio book and the book "soundtrack" CD, so at least another Scouser's getting it. ;))

That said, I'm more excited than ever about getting the Tug Of War deluxe set in my hands as soon as possible!

I'll be happy to turn in my official McCartney Maniac membership card if the forum feels I should. Goodness knows I don't want to be considered a poseur as my Archive Collection will now officially be incomplete. Perhaps by 2033 when the 50th anniversary edition is released, my 69-year-old self will be more receptive...anything is possible!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    [email protected] and supermd like this.
  11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

So I can't tell for sure, does this version include the CD? I don't see it listed anywhere except in one of the reviews which could be for an earlier release.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

12. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I would have preferred a reissue campaign along the of the Dylan bootleg series.

Rocco likes this.
  13. leeroy jenkins

I'm a recovering McCartney Maniac. When this Archive Collection series started I thought I might be in danger of a relapse, but just the opposite has happened. Most of the stuff has been easy to avoid.

14. leeroy jenkins

Not a Dylan fan, but from everything I've heard it's a fan's dream come true. That would have been great, but will never happen at this point.

Maybe we'll have to wait for The Lost McCartney Tapes radio show.

15. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I have to agree. I have been quite satisfied with two disc additions. All I really care about is the bonus audio. With the "Wings over America", I got the bonus best buy Cow Palace CD, so I don't feel I've missed out on anything.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  16. Henrik Jutbring

Is there 12-step group for the likes of us? Afraid I'm about to relapse after 3 dry months. No kidding...

17. leeroy jenkins

I got the Best Buy WOA too. Wings Over San Fran is the highlight of the series so far - unexpected and love it!

Rocco and theMess like this.
  18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes, that was a great surprise. I fully agree with you; we should be getting One Hand Clapping and the Glasgow show from '79 in their entirety. It doesn't make much sense to chop them apart.

I would also like to see the 1979 rehearsals released on the BTTE reissue:

19. leeroy jenkins

I know it's pretty well beloved around here, but Memory Almost Full is what finally cured me. I bought it and didn't really care for it too much, and then it came out in a deluxe version with some extra tracks and that was it. I decided that I'm not buying this album that I don't like again and haven't looked back.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  20. Henrik Jutbring

The addictive problem is not the new releases but rather all those marvellous historic artefacts floating around somewhere in the world. Hard to track down but oh so nice to experience in three dimensions!

theMess likes this.
  21. leeroy jenkins

Believe me, I had it bad - hundreds of live shows, radio interviews, video... you name it. Without the addiction to have everything commercially available, the rest is easier to let go.

If these Archive release had started in 2000 rather than 2010, there is no doubt in my mind that I would have them all in deluxe form at this point.

22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Do you still have all of the interviews, live shows, etc?

23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Shot in the dark, but do you happen to have the live show from Portland, OR in 2005? I've been seeking it for years...

I had a brief mid-concert "exchange" with Paul, and I'd love to relive it!

theMess likes this.
  24. leeroy jenkins

No, sorry I don't. I know the feeling though - I have all of the shows that I saw of his. It is really cool to hear them again.

theMess likes this.
  25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Thanks for responding - this one seems particularly tough to find...

A forum member once pointed me to a page with a guy who claimed to have it, but that guy never responded to my emails trying to get a copy. :cry:

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.