Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That is maybe connected with the next RECORD STORE DAY.

2. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I ordered the deluxe sets of V&M and WATSOS last year from Amazon Canada and I believe I was charged just over £20 in import duty. Can't remember the exact amount.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

That's not too bad, is it? I can live with that, though I hope they slip through.:)

I bought the 2014 ones at full price from Amazon. It killed me to wait for 2 weeks after they came out for them to drop the price. They didn't, so I gave in and bought them.

The next week they shaved (about) £15 off both. I've never forgiven them.:)

JimC, theMess and jl151080 like this.
  4. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I think you have to email them to cancel, so it may be a bit of a hassle.

The Kings Road price works out at just over £40 per set. It may not be worth re-ordering from Amazon.ca, as you are likely to be hit with import duty that will be as much, if not more, than the difference when compared to the Kings Road price.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  5. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I believe the original master was in 16/48, but your point is right. I'm just wondering why they didn't remix the Pipes of peace album for the hi-res download ? Was the master analog this time ?
    (sorry if this has already been adressed. This is a very long topic :) ).

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Perhaps, but Amazon really shouldn't be a Black Friday RSD vendor, plus the date is wrong by a week (Black Friday would be the 27th, not the 20th)...

Arnold Grove likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

How are you getting the upcoming Archives, @theMess?

8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Unfortunately, I am getting them from UK Amazon, but I have not placed the order yet, in the hope that they drop in price. Like you, I will probably snap and order them, but for the time being I am waiting.

Claudio Dirani and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. Drewzel

Drewzel Forum Resident

Spin CD have both deluxe sets at £64.99....I have never used them before so can't rate them personally.

theMess likes this.
  10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks. I will look them up. :righton:

11. Bobby Morrow

It kills me that we can't get them from Amazon UK at a sensible price.. I hate the fact that I'm going to have to wait at least a couple of weeks for mine to arrive. And then have to pay import tax on them.:)

In the old days, I'd just go to a local record shop on release day and buy them. Sadly, where I live, there's only a HMV left and they never stock the Archive deluxes..

theMess likes this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am in the same situation. The only HMV near to where I live never stocks the archive reissues.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Maybe you could get HMV to order them for you in time for release day?

They may beat Amazon on price too - in my recent experiences HMV have been equal, if not better, than Amazon on price.

BlueSpeedway and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Never thought of that. Worth considering. I don't half miss HMV.com. They were the best of the lot.

jl151080 and theMess like this.
  15. Drewzel

Drewzel Forum Resident

You're welcome...I'm looking at them now...just dropped on the Bowie "Five Years" box set...can't say I'm a "fan" as such but very tempted :D

theMess likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Ben is typically shy when it comes to personal matters---But he gets them the usual ways: Beg, Borrow, Steal ... ;)

But I'm no better. I had to sell off one of my prized "Coming Soon" cards to afford the new sets. ;)

17. Arnold Grove

Well, there goes my theory about Record Store Day. Maybe though there will be some type of exclusive vinyl release on the 27th of November.

theMess likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

I did hear that @theMess was out on the streets selling his pale young body to fund his Archive needs. The bad news is, he's been out there a week and still hasn't made enough to buy the standard issues.:shake:

I hear Amazon UK who are currently charging the most for these sets have agreed to send the 'Coming Soon' card out a week before release to drum up trade.:D

theMess, BlueSpeedway and mrjinks like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Well, maybe he needs to stop singing "Dress Me Up as a Robber" while plying his trade...;)

20. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

HMV wanted £70.00 each for the last two.. might be even more this time.. :(

21. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I've got to say I outdid myself with this double album sequence! I listened to the whole thing last night and had the most enjoyable listening experience that I have ever had for either of these albums. Putting them together just brings out the best in all of these songs. I've been thinking about flip flopping side two and three to make the listening experience even more jarringly different from the albums, but I think that would be overkill probably and the flow is just so nice now. The triptych of Dress Me Up As A Robber, Keep Under Cover, followed by the first album closer "The Man - Featuring Michael Jackson," is just sublime and really nicely raises "The Man" in stature. I strongly suggest that folks create this playlist and try it. If Paul would have released this sequence as a double album in the early eighties, I really feel he would not have gotten half the flack that he did for the "softness" of his '80s work. My only caveat is side four has some issues, but then two of the songs were bonus tracks not officially on either album. Losing the song "Simple as That," might fix the side, as simple as that!

supermd, Skywheel, JimC and 2 others like this.
  22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

You have done a really good job with your track listing, and I am certainly going to make a CD playlist version.

You are correct that songs can can rise in stature when they are placed alongside the correct bedfellows. Paul is the biggest pop act of all time, and it shocks me that with both RRS and McCartney 2, he backed out of releasing double-albums. If any of his solo sessions generated a great opportunity for a double album, then it was the early 80's sessions with George Martin, and as you say, the songs fit together really well.

I personally think that releasing a sprawling double album would have been a great idea, and I think that it would have been at least as well received as Tug Of War was, and he wouldn't have had to take the bashing that Pipes took from most critics.

Had he also included the three original songs that he used on Broadstreet, then it would have been even more amazing; he really had stockpiled a great collection of songs.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

"Oh yes Paul, you have a ton of albums that are far more horrible than PTP, seriously man!" - that will cheer Paul right up!

theMess likes this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am shocked to see that this thread has finally fallen so low that you are having to discuss what I have to do to keep bringing home the bacon (or in this case deluxe reissues :laugh:). All I can say is that 'I am not such a bad boy no more'.

Also 'pale young body'? How did you know! :D

Bobby Morrow and Arnold Grove like this.
  25. Dr. Pepper

Were those Broadstreet songs written during these session or recorded during these sessions or what is the story of all three of these albums in a nutshell and why was George Martin involved in all three?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.