Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Instead of outtakes, we'll surely get the various 7" and 12" single remixes of "No More Lonely Nights".
    Perhaps that, as for the "Rock Show" film which was not included in the "Wings Over America" deluxe, the "Broad Street" film will be reissued separately and the "Broad Street" deluxe will come with the "South Bank Show" programme on the making of the film. It had some great music, such as an otherwise unreleased version of "For No One" and also Paul performing Benjamin Britten's "Gloriana".

Billy Budapest and supermd like this.
  2. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Well, my Russian fake mini-LP of Pipes arrived today. It's actually very nice and the sound is wonderful.

theMess likes this.
  3. When are they rumored for release? June 2015? I hope so!

DLant likes this.
  4. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

If they do make a deluxe of Broad Street and add "We All Stand Together" I really, really, really want them to add all the Rupert and Frog Song stuff as well. Really, really.

I think it probably would mean higher sales as well. Most people probably aren't very interested in Broad Street and all it's re-recordings, but if you add a lot of unreleased tracks, that should bring people in.

5. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

The archivist/collector in me wants this to happen. The person who likes listening to music for pleasure doesn't :)

Seriously, I'd hope we'd get a disc of genuine outtakes and related tracks and a third disc of No More Lonely Nights remixes/edits.

anthontherun, supermd and Calico like this.
  6. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt Thread Starter

You're referring to the stuff recorded for the short film, right? Not the (unreleased) 1978-era recordings he did for the (also unreleased) full-length Rupert film. Those would belong on an expanded London Town. And those tracks are the ones I'm most looking forward to hearing officially out of his entire unreleased catalog at this point.

7. Calico

Calico Senior Member

The only other Rupert song that was officially released but which has never appeared on any CD or compilation so far is the 'humming version' of "We All Stand Together", as released by Paul McCartney and the Finchley Frogettes on the b-side of the single.

8. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt Thread Starter

It wasn't even included on the Finchley Frogettes box set! ;)

supermd likes this.
  9. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Here's my compilations for the War & Peace lps: I've got "We All Stand Together" (both versions) and "Twice In A Lifetime" on the Peace album and even snuck in the no. 1 single "The Girl Is Mine" that he did with the Gloved One...even if it's hard to listen to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JimC and Carlox like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

"Rainclouds" :thumbsup:

Arnie

Doug and JimC like this.
  11. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

For those who wonder whether Paul has any issue with the "Jackson era", it's interesting to see that Michael Jackson's official twitter page has today tweeted a photo of Michael and Paul (with George Martin) in the studio from 1982, with text saying how much fun they had together, and Paul's official twitter page has retweeted it, so they clearly liked the message being put across...

Here it is for anyone interested - https://twitter.com/michaeljackson/status/568104101348831232?lang=en-gb

supermd, 5th-beatle and theMess like this.
  12. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Hope all of Paul's albums get the deluxe treatment. I'm sure there are tons of unreleased tracks. He's constantly recording.

supermd, theMess and 905 like this.
  13. 905

905 Senior Member

I think Press to Play would make a great Archive.
    And the same thing goes for Off the Ground. Both have great possibilities, and shouldn't be ignored.

14. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

I was indeed referring to the '78 recordings. I'd like them somewhere in the vicinity of "We All Stand Together", since they are all Rupert tracks.

If we're gonna add them in a more chronologically correct way, then they should go with Back to the Egg, since they were recorded in the middle of those sessions. London Town was recorded in 1977.

Billy Budapest and daveidmarx like this.
  15. Drifter's Escape

Drifter's Escape Well-Known Member

I agree with putting the '78 Rupert tracks with "We All Stand Together." Afterall, there is definitely a precedent set with the McCartney I Archive having live versions of several tracks from Glasgow '79 and One Hand Clapping. While I did think including those on that set was a bit of a stretch, I feel the Rupert tracks make more sense done this way.
    I'd also like to chip in my 2 cents on looking forward to the Wild Life and RRS reissues more than any of the others. Two of my favorite albums, especially Wild Life. I thought that the Trunkworthy review cited earlier in the thread totally nailed it. A very misunderstood album. Lots of 90s folks like myself who came up listening to Pavement or Guided By Voices don't hear anything bad in the roughness of the production values. The album has great melodies and a very organic feel to it.

16. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I agree; I am also a Pavement and GBV fan, and it annoys me to see Wild Life attacked for being recorded in a similar way to albums that get praised, simply because it wasn't Paul recording them.

Drifter's Escape likes this.
  17. Paul H

Personally, I have no problem with the sound or production of the album. I just think that the songs are poor: only two of them are keepers for me which, on a McCartney album, makes it his poorest offering in those terms. Your mileage obviously varies and I salute that. There's room here for every perspective.

18. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I'll place an order. :)

Billy Budapest and RAJ717 like this.
  19. Drifter's Escape

Drifter's Escape Well-Known Member

I can totally understand why some folks wouldn't really dig the album, and my intention is not to change anyone's mind. My only hope is that Paul has his people looking through popular forums like these to try and gauge what public opinion is regarding his past work, and I hope that if there are enough of us in the Pro-Wild-Life camp, he'll see fit to release it before too long.

We each have our own particular tastes, and while I am not really into the 80s sound, I am still looking forward to the ToW & PoP releases. For me, having listened mostly to his 70s stuff, it's been a refreshing change to become reacquainted with his 80s material as of late. Tug of War was my first McCartney solo record, coming out shortly after I got into the Beatles as a kid. I'm hoping the August 1980 demos will be on there.

theMess and Paul H like this.
  20. JimC

JimC Senior Member

:righton::agree:

Off the Ground already has one extra disc ready to go.:laugh:

905, Billy Budapest and theMess like this.
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Same here. I love the sound of, say, Plastic Ono Band. I don't need Paul to sound like he's doing another RAM to like it. In fact, I love the style of the Wild Life album. It helps that I like the Beach Boys' super stripped, basic albums like Wild Honey, Smiley Smile, and, to an extent, Friends. But yeah, it's the quality of the songs that turns me off on some of the album.

That said, I'm salivating for the Archive treatment of this album.

Paul H likes this.
  22. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Really looking forward to a deluxe Tug Of War. Brilliant album.

theMess and heatherly like this.
  23. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Yeah - Wild Life isn't going to crack my short list of favorite McCartney albums, and it's almost for that reason that I look forward to that Archive treatment more than most albums. The Wild Life/Red Rose Speedway pairing (I assume they'll end up paired together) is the batch I'm most eagerly anticipating.

alamo54us, Mazzy, theMess and 2 others like this.
  24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Thing is, on it's own, I wouldn't consider very many bonus tracks for Wild Life. Just Mary Had A Little Lamb (and the German version!) and the two sides of Give Ireland Back To The Irish. Then maybe the early Blackpool, the so-called African Yea Yea Jam, and Some People Never Know with added instrumentation. 7 tracks at best. BUT, RRS has so many possible tracks. So maybe some of them could be placed on Wild Life. I'll say no more though, I should be focusing my speculative spectacles on the possible tracks for TOW and POP.

theMess likes this.
  25. Paul H

Well, I'm firmly in the camp of wanting EVERY album treated to a deluxe, if for no other reason beyond consistency. In the case of Wild Life, there's as much interest in the potential bonus material as there is in the main album.

If Paul's people are spending time here (God help 'em) I'd certainly sing the praises of every note in his catalogue if it gets it included in the Archive Collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.