Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Digressing a bit here, but I recently watched the McCartney Musicares bluray and loved this rendition of No More Lonely nights by Alison Krauss & Union Station. So glad that she picked this almost "lost" gem for the live performance instead of usual Beatles hits.

2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I waited years for this to be released, specifically for this performance. I liked her cover of 'I Will', and was so pleased that she chose to cover NMLN, because it gets forgotten compared to some of Paul's other hits.

crossroads69 and Johnny Reb like this.
  3. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I get what you are saying, but when the volumes of the two are matched, the 0's and 1's are cancelling out completely when inverted. Apart from the volume change - which I misremembered as "db's", it was way less - they 100% aligned. Bottom line: exactly the same or not, the Archive Release CD of the original mix is a clone of the original CD release.

theMess, Joey_Corleone and supermd like this.
  4. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I love when what I actually hear is validated by actual evidence : ) So, the fact that I didn't hear a bit of difference between my original CD and the 2015 original mix is refreshing now.

theMess likes this.
  5. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Haha, yeah, it's always a bit awkward to read people shouting about "no competition", "hands down", "like day and night" and more power terms because they paid 100 bucks for some CD pressing with a gold sticker on it, and then reading soon after that the mastering is exactly the same as any other version.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  6. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

The bad/good news is that Wings Over America is an absolute blockbuster of a set. It and RAM are the jewels in the collection so far when it comes to packaging and doo-dads, it's an absolute treat of a set. McII is the best set so far for bonus audio I'd say, a lot of good stuff there, but WOA is a bounty of lovely printed goodies. It's shaping up to be a great series all round and as more sets hit my shelves it starts to look like a thorough history of Macca's releases will one day be complete.

theMess, Johnny Reb and Joey_Corleone like this.
  7. Joey_Corleone

Well, what can I say? The 24/96 unlimited of McCartney is I believe the best I have ever heard it.

Tug of War was a nice package too.

Band on the Run, Venus and Mars, Speed of Sound and Ram arrive Thursday : )

I will likely grab WoA ar some stage, and I would say I am questionable on the deluxes for PoP and McCartney II just because I have always regarded them as pretty terrible albums. Knowing me though, my completist tendancies will win and I will end up with all of them lol

8. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I found that it makes my life so much easier just to accept that eventually I'll want everything, and to just get it all and be done.

9. Joey_Corleone

Just got my other 4 sets in today and am starting the painful process of the RAM digital downloads. Are you kidding me? LOL...this is a joke. Really? I need to download 16 individual zip files AFTER being FORCED to sign into the site with Facebook? LOL...what a train wreck. I hope they sound good.

rstamberg likes this.
  10. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I'm pleased those download codes are still valid. I thought there might have been (very unfairly) an expiry date on them that we'd passed by now.

11. Joey_Corleone

Me too. In the case that they were not valid, I would have gladly downloaded them with absolutely no remorse. I don't get why they make it so hard. If I had to sit down with a team and design the most cumbersome, pain in the ass way to put this content out there, this is what I would have come up with hahahaha

What is wrong with go to this site, put in your redemption code, and get a single zip file? Or maybe 2 in this case if you wanted both the limited/unlimited.

Lewisboogie, mrjinks and OobuJoobu like this.
  12. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Seriously. You have to use FB? I am not even on FB.

(yeah yeah I know)

13. Joey_Corleone

There were a few options, but all involved having some sort of online account. Facebook was the only one on the list I use.

Anyways, seems I can't win today. After all the hoops I had to jump through to get my 24/96 Ram downloads, I was happy to see that they put out Band On The Run as a single .zip file as I had hoped...about 4.68GB large. I downloaded it successfully, but cannot extract it, because it says the file is corrupt. I am trying the download again, but am not too hopeful.

If anybody has these and is willing to create a hash using Trader's Little Helper of the zip file I would appreciate it so much. Please PM me.

14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I've never bothered downloading the files (yet! - recently got a new pc that has room for them), but there were plenty of nightmare stories about these in various other threads. As I recall, BOTR either timed out or was corrupt, so they broke up subsequent releases into smaller files, which had plenty of other problems. If they ever get it straightened around, perhaps I'll actually download them!

theMess likes this.
  15. Joey_Corleone

Thank God I'm good with computers. I found a thread online where everybody else was having the same problem. Miraculously, I was able to extract the content for BOTR using my Mac and The Unarchiver tool. I copied the original downloaded zip to a USB drive on Windows, plugged it into my Mac, copied the file over, extracted it, formated the USB disk for FAT32, then copied the extracted files back to the USB drive and finally back to my Windows machine where I am working with them.

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I'm having a bit of trouble with my typewritten ribbon. Do you think you can help me? ... ;)

Calico, theMess, Johnny Reb and 3 others like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

I meant "typewriter" ribbon. It's been so long since I've seen one that I forgot how to spell the word correctly... ;)

18. djej

djej Forum Resident

Did you mean:

A) Typewritten ribbon
    B) Typewriter ribbon
    C) Typewritten-type ribbon
    D) Typewriter-type ribbon
    E) None Of The Above

Please have the correct response included on the next Paul McCartney Archive Collection Coming Soon card. I need even more reason to anticipate that card!

19. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I think that was an original lyric from Paul's early 80s song "Ode to a Typewriter Ribbon" ;)

20. Arnold Grove

I'll go with:
    F) Bring me a shot of tequila.

21. Arnold Grove

Won't it be more exciting to see what is on the next "Coming Soon" card than getting the actual Archive edition of Flowers In The Dirt? It's okay to admit it. ... ;)

RAJ717 likes this.
  22. djej

djej Forum Resident

Well, if I have your response to look forward to, then absolutely the card will trump the actual release.

Perhaps this was the exciting announcement @maccawings was referring to in the FITD thread.

I'm hoping to see "Ode To A Typewriter Ribbon" on a future bonus disc, OobuJoobu. Probably PTP, if I had to make my guess. Guessing the original was shelved back when home computers were starting to become more prevalent, and he didn't want to seem out of touch in writing a song to an outdated piece of office equipment. Gotta stay hip, ya know!

23. There was a Jack Benny episode where Jack had Rochester soak the typewriter ribbon in grape juice, to avoid having to pay for a new ribbon. Maybe that will work for you! :)

Dr. Pepper and Arnold Grove like this.
  24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Will that do?

25. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Well I did it. I finally listened from start to finish the entire deluxe version of the Pipes of Peace album.

Probably one of the worst albums I've ever heard from anyone, let alone a former Beatle, the only song I liked was Through Our Love. The production was so bland and soft, the lyrics even worse. I'm glad I've now heard it but I will never do so again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.