Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I own 4; original vinyl, a digital version uploaded onto iTunes from the 2010 reissue, the 2010 reissue deluxe edition and the 25th Anniversary version.

I also used to have the 1993 version, but I sold that.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. bward

bward Senior Member

I was hoping that Paul might release some song fragments to show how some of his songs were built up. Sort of like Beach Boys Smile Box (I only have the 2 disc set, but even that is fascinating).

I thought RAM would be the best place to do that: the deconstruction of Uncle Albert or Back Seat Of My Car.

If the did this with Tug, it would nice to hear Pound is Sinking, or maybe parts of Tug of War, or harmonies on Take It Away. Just a thought.

JimC and theMess like this.
  3. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I'll answer: For "Band on the Run" I have the last 2-cd release here in the US, the DTS version in 4.0, the original vinyl LP,

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

That's fair enough. I have the vinyl, the 1993, the 25th anniversary (bought mainly because I liked the packaging), the 2010 Archive reissue and the deluxe 2010 Archive.

I never forgave myself for getting the 'standard' Archive remaster and shelled out for the deluxe soon after. Even though the content is largely the same!

I should point out I didn't own any of these until 2001. Does that make it better or worse?!

theMess likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

I nearly bought the DTS one myself a few years back...

RonBaker likes this.
  6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I suppose that it depends on your age in 2001. I was 10, so don't feel too guilty for not owning any at that point. :D

I almost bought that 'standard', but instead decided to splash out on the deluxe, which is what I have done with every reissue since. I simply cannot buy the standard when there is a deluxe version available, it is my sickness. :laugh:

Bobby Morrow and RonBaker like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

I wasn't 10 in 2001.:shake:

Same here with the deluxe thing. I'm down for the super deluxe of Madonna's Rebel Heart. I know extra tracks just mean extra pain in this case, but I have to have it!

fsutall and theMess like this.
  8. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Wanderlust is great but I am not sure he could pull that song live these days.

The original is fantastic but if you listen to the Broad Street version, the vocal is not as good and that's only two or three years later...

Frank likes this.
  9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I might be biased because I actually heard the Broad Street version first, and I have always loved watching and listening to that medley. I think that the medley proved that it belonged with some of Paul's best Beatles songs, because it went so naturally with them.

I agree that now he probably would struggle with it, but maybe he could sing it in a lower key?

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The 7" single version of "Take It Away" starts with a clean opening (omitting the cross-fade from "Tug of War", as on the album). BUT the single also is faded out sooner, omitting some of the trumpet solo at the end. So even though the song starts sooner on the 7", it is shorter in overall length. The 7" version is 3:59, whereas the album version is 4:14.

Arnie.

11. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

True. A change in the key could make it work.

theMess likes this.
  12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I shudder to think what my own answer to that question would be...
    :hide:

theMess and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Whenever he has released these archive things he has played cuts live - so I'm thinking we'll hear something from these in the live set - hopefully Wanderlust and Take It Away in addition to Here Today

theMess likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Be brave. Count them!

theMess likes this.
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, I'm not at home, but from memory I can say:
    CD:
    1993 reissue
    2001 "25th Anniversary" issue
    2010 Archive Deluxe
    2010 Best Buy version (had an exclusive dvd, iirc).
    [Does it count? Original Capitol cd, given to my son, who's away at college]

LP:
    US Apple
    [Can't remember if I still have: Columbia LP issue - my 1st copy]
    US "25th Anniversary" issue
    UK "25th Anniversary" issue (sealed)
    Archive edition (sealed)

Digital:
    Haven't ever downloaded my digital copies, because the home PC has been on its last legs for some time now, and I don't want to load up the memory with those hi-res files (until a shiny new computer magically appears).

I also have the pic disc in my "watch list" on ebay at the moment!

Sadly, a similar tale could be told for MANY other Beatle/Solo releases (Pepper, ATMP, Imagine - I'm looking at YOU!).

Thankfully, I know many members here are even more :crazy: than me.

16. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

I have the picture disc! Bought it and the Sgt. Pepper picture disc around the same time back in the 70's IIRC...how much is it listed for, if you don't mind my asking? (Not that I have any intention of selling!)

I somehow never got around to buying a "regular" vinyl copy - just the picture disc. Go figure! Otherwise, I've got:

Original Capitol CD
    The Steve Hoffman-mastered DCC gold CD (bought long before I knew of our illustrious host's reputation, nevermind these forums!)
    1993 reissue CD
    25th anniversary CD set
    2010 deluxe set reissue CDs (plus the limited and unlimited downloads)

I know that's lightweight compared to some but still a bit sad nonetheless!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  17. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

While I'm not in a hurry to get either of these, I do think they really need to speed up the pace of release dates for McCartney titles.

Curious what the next announced titles will be after these two.
    Can't wait until 2019!

18. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Thanks! Those two songs will always go together in my head anyway (and I prefer the longer fade out).

19. Bobby Morrow

Wow! I'm officially a novice!:)

I have to avoid picture discs... So many albums I like and they don't come cheap nowadays...

20. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Amazing, although not surprising. Just looking at the credits for Red Rose Speedway reveals that Paul was still mining RAM material, and before then, Little Woman Love, possibly Dear Friend. In fact, add in Another Day/Oh Woman Oh Why, and you could build a whole album of RAM outtakes that he finished later. Perhaps a good idea for a playlist!

As much of a completist as I am, I'm not too concerned with the single versions of Take It Away and Tug Of War being on the new set. I do consider them by my own criteria as being essential, but seeing as how they are already on CD and easily found (Wingspan) I wouldn't want to see them take up precious space.

(My reason for counting them as essential is that they are not simply edits, because they remove the crossfades. If a single version is simply chopping something out from the longer version, with no other change, I generally ignore them. Case in point: I don't have any edits from BOTR)

21. Calico

Calico Senior Member

He should get Brian Wilson to sing it with him then.
    His take on "Wanderlust" is one of the few nice surprises on the recent "The Art of Paul McCartney".

I fully see your point.
    But you should however lend an ear to the "Jet" edit from the promo single, it's not just that something has been chopped from the longer version, it's almost a reconstruction of the song!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    theMess likes this.
  22. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

If I say that I have just one copy, the latest Deluxe one, do I get drummed out of here? If I buy a new copy of an album, all others get sold, given away or just thrown out.

I may be a completist, but only in the sense that I want every track, not every release.

I'm happy to be in the company of all of you guys, you make me feel sane. :wave:

23. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Yep. That's the only difference. A clean intro vs. the crossfade on the LP.

24. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Oops your quite right. I got the two band members mixed up.
    Paul and Stevie did perform E&I a couple of years ago at the White House.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  25. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

This hadn't occurred to me; I really hope that you are correct. I would be extremely happy, even if he just played those two songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.