Paul McCartney: Deep Cuts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Nov 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I can't believe nobody talks about this song. I think it's one of his best post Beatles tunes. It sounds like The Beatles!

2. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Agree. No kidding. Played this lp so much upon release and then have forgotten about til big box set release and enjoyed it like new. So my choice for a deep cut is Loup…in the shadow of Momma Miss…and Kreen Akore as best deep cuts

3. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Incredible climatic vocal at end. I’d respectfully add..though some here and elsewhere say don’t like it but can’t imagine why..the rrsw medley, especially power cut …Just call whole rrsw album a deep cut really…squeezed between the farm style and university touring early wings..and very successful BOTR album.

palisantrancho, maui jim and supermd like this.
  4. Dr. Dog

Dr. Dog You can talk to me...

Funnily enough, though I don't like Warm and Beautiful, I do like Golden Earth Girl. Tastes are strange and often without logic.

joy stinson likes this.
  5. joy stinson

Very true..I’ve read another here in an old thread who said doesn’t especially like Macca music I believe but..loves “warm and beautiful.” I read this kind of stuff about several different songs, by Macca and other artists. I’m a huge Macca seventies fan and probably prejudiced ..due to my age I guess and when he became my favorite solo Beatle because I liked his seventies varied solo music so well.

Dr. Dog likes this.
  6. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I like the song a lot, but it sounds absolutely nothing like the Beatles to me.

7. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Here's another one of my very favorite McCartney deep cuts...

8. TheMightyCroz

TheMightyCroz Forum Resident

Unfortunately the Anti-Heroin one. But I don't have a problem with the reggae/music, I was just taking a shot at the lyrics.

9. joy stinson

I like the lyrics of the anti heroin “simple as that”…as the lyrics, song written in the seventies, as the lyrics go through realistically the addict’s problems of going along with, going back to and constantly making choices about hanging around with his old drug crowd, his life choices to choose between a new life drug free involving life/drug treatment for life or his old ways, leading to the eventual bad end of drug addiction.

Likewise I usually love all of Macca’s reggae and/or ska type tunes and the positive hopeful option of an addict matches the positive peppy tune. I love this “simple as that” far better than the other Macca “simple as that”,tune…which is far less memorable, so much so I always have to struggle to remember what it’s about and how it goes. As most drug song lyrics were very dark in the late sixties and the seventies, I especially like this song which offers addicts hope and a way out appropriately as it’s for an anti-heroin cause.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This thread goes to show I really like over 90% of what Paul has released. That's amazing.

DK Pete and joy stinson like this.
  11. joy stinson

Me too and though his lesser songs aren’t my personal favorites, there’s still merit in most of their tunes, lyrics and adventurous boundary pushing efforts. It reminds me all over again why he finally became my favorite artist from the seventies forward. The types of Macca and Beatles songs many diss now ….you know Maxwell burlesque song and obla di ska /folk song, songs contemporary folks are intolerant of…I salute them for and usually like as their most boundary and genre pushing adventurous songs. It’s what put the Beatles above so many other artists then who got too locked into a style. It took me years finally to appreciate such songs as loup as a Floyd type song and morse mouse and the grey goose a type of prog song and to figure out what paul was going for.

DmitriKaramazov and DK Pete like this.
  12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I love the song…quintessential Wings…more so than Beatle-like.

supermd and joy stinson like this.
  13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IIRC, almost every album he's made had outtakes. When does prolific become profligate? The man seems to have a completely open channel to his muse. So, deep cuts abound!

joy stinson likes this.
  14. efegarcia

efegarcia Forum Resident

15. efegarcia

efegarcia Forum Resident

16. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Every Night.

supermd, cuddlytoy and joy stinson like this.
  17. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I mentioned the B-side Style Style earlier, great song, great performance.

But has anyone noticed the lead guitar halfway through??? Sounds like Macca shredding it, a la Taxman!

Also, I love the interlude lyrics:

“As an only child
    In a hostile world
    Her only chance
    Was to run, run, run away”

What a great number!

maccafan and joy stinson like this.
  18. joy stinson

The entire B sides of OTG are great deep cuts…I’d also say are most B sides of singles 80s- 90s. He’s the only artist I know..but there may be others as well ..whose B sides, hidden deluxe album cuts and given away songs as well as outtakes and as well as some later hidden cd tracks….many times exceed his album songs.

I’ll add some personal favorites of mine..hope for deliverance, mull of kintyre, off the ground, peace in the neighborhood, Helen wheels, confidante, dance till we’re high. I’m trying to list my favorites that haven’t already been mentioned. When there’s videos of these songs I listed, I especially enjoyed them and remembered some of them for years.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  19. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Here's another that is just fantastic...

21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

22. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Paul should have kept this as an instrumental if he hadn’t felt obligated to tack on lyrics for the much disliked second Mrs. McCartney.

datim, GowG and joy stinson like this.
  23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Here’s a rare demo of a song dedicated to Paul’s daughter Heather.

cuddlytoy, Folknik and joy stinson like this.
  24. joy stinson

Truly a great dub recording I didn’t find till this forum on an older Macca deep cuts thread. I likewise really like hang glide as a proto fireman type of song. Also, on my way to work and entire New album is IMO supreme, one of his top 21st cen albums with him in better vocals also and last tour I saw him on..with great outtakes/singles, “hey, everybody out there.” Another 21st cen song I’d submit that I like is..”Follow Me.” Listening to some of these rarer submissions here makes me wonder what all he has unreleased in his vaults..I’ve read it’s a good many songs still unreleased . Another I love that was released on a deluxe boxset I think is when the “wind is blowing” ….isn’t that on Rupert?…I love what I’ve heard of the rubert songs also. Plus, true to his zany tendencies, he has his really weird stuff like “Africa, yeah, yeah, yeah, “ lol. He zig zags styles even weird ones of all types..with no fear. He did a great Tom waits screaming type of vocal type jam in the nineties you can find online, can’t think of it’s name. I missed all of those eighties and nineties CD and 10 and 12 inch eps and singles and digital downloads..but find them online and here.

25. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"The Man", a duet with Michael Jackson on Pipes For Peace. I personally like it more than "Say Say Say" and it surprised me that it wasn't the followup hit to it. Was it even released as a single?

cuddlytoy, Bink and joy stinson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.