Paul McCartney - Egypt Station (#1 album in US) Appreciation Thread 2.0 - New and Improved

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Awesome! Was hoping for a remake of Broadstreet! He can call it Back to Broadstreet! "Oh no Ringo, they stole the master tapes! Whatever will we do?" "Let's make a sappy incoherent movie about it with weird dance numbers, Paul"

theMess, kwadguy, FKA002 and 2 others like this.
  2. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Except, this time, Ringo says "Who Cares?", prompting Paul to go into a rendition of "Fuh You".

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    theMess, JDeanB, kwadguy and 2 others like this.
  3. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    ;)

4. Ringo Hendrix

So... Who Cares is also the next Batman vs. Superman? No?

theMess, Frank and beatlesfan9091 like this.
  5. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

"Oh no Ringo, they stole the master tapes!" "Paul, the file is on your fuhing computer" "Oops yeah, thanks God we don't have to make a freaking movie about it this time!" "THE END"

Ringo Hendrix and theMess like this.
  6. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Well, more proof of the fickleness of schedules of announcements!! Greetings from Liverpool, getting close to show time

kevintee and FKA002 like this.
  7. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

:confused: To the first part!

But enjoy the show man

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  8. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Have fun! I've got the feeling tonight's show will be very special!

9. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Have a fantastic time!

maccawings likes this.
  10. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Show us some pics!

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

1941, after the Blitz:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

13. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Still waiting for soundcheck to begin gonna be a long night

15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Next release announcement running late! Hopefully soon

16. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Does santa have a chance of beating it to the party now?

FKA002 likes this.
  17. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I hope so!! Thank you for keeping us posted!!

18. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

I truly love Egypt Station. Feeling so strongly about Egypt Station is throwing me for a huge loop, as I've never been the biggest fan of Paul's 21st century offerings. I've never been particularly down on them either -- they're agreeable and listenable -- but not a lot of it blows me away, certainly not when it comes to the albums as a whole. NEW is lackluster, MAF uneven, C&C good, but austere. Well, Egypt Station as an album actually comes the closest to blowing me completely away. I think it is a great combination of everything in his career to this point. Also to me the production is crispy. I keep thinking: "There's no way I like this album as much as I think I do. It's impossible." But I do find myself revisiting so many of the songs. I'm trying to be actively honest with myself and separate Paul excitement from genuine "I would like this if it was not Paul," appreciation for the music. And there is a lot to like. Here's my brutally honest take 4 mos later:

i don't know,: excellent song, top tier in my book, better than anything on NEW, i'm always excited to hear it
    come on to me,: it's a fun background party tune that Paul clearly wrote as a single, but it gets so repetitive
    happy with you,: another one i'm always excited to hear. it's got a dear prudence type of lull to it. i really think the talk-sing works, because the lyrics are so direct. it's almost like a confessional. very personable
    who cares,: it's a better Save Us from NEW, less straightforward musically and more interactive lyrically. it feels a bit looser. i also like the bass part better.
    fuh you,: personally i don't like this song because the chorus grates on my soul, but i can see why other people would like it. it's a pretty good pop song
    confidante,: another nice acoustic moment, with good atmosphere. this style is completely different for Paul, but he pulls it off. again, there is an emphasis on the lyrics here, which i think works, because the lyrics are interesting.
    people want peace,: this is just so well produced. i enjoy this song because it is melodious but brief. it doesn't drag on
    hand in hand,: beautiful, really beautiful, and i wouldn't mind hearing a younger Paul take a stab at this song, but it is excellent as is
    dominoes,: another top tier song in the 21st century mccartney handbook. i don't think he would've written this at any other time, and it's unique. it's like soft acoustic power pop.
    back in brazil,: the back half of this album really comes together on some sequencing magic, and this song is like mccartney ii+ob la di. personally, i think it's beautiful, and a breath of zany fresh air
    do it now,: nice message, nice song, nice motivation. this is a good 'un
    caesar rock,: fun jam, a bit of funk, a bit of autotune, and paul is committing to the vocal. it's both clever and hilarious.
    despite repeated warnings,: this is a suite that brings you in unlike Road, which is a bit more try hard. it's not perfect, but it picks up steam just in time towards the end. i like it
    hunt you down/naked/c-link,: this is vintage Paul in a 2018 pop context. it's brilliant and i love it, top tier, and one of his greatest album closers
    get started,: rough around the edges but the energy is on point. fun song, but still don't need the helter skelter outro. still it's all very enjoyable
    nothing for free,: the She Loves You of the 21st century (not in terms of impact, but in terms of sound. this is a little piece of pop magic.) if you like She Loves You, you should like this song.

davenav, jammincrowe, theMess and 5 others like this.
  19. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

No clue, as Mike and I always say...the announcement part of the equation always seems to be ever changing even when you’ve seen the schedule with your own eyes. As for now, basically flying by the seat of my pants like everyone else

20. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Not intended as a threadcrap at all, and I never thought I’d post anything like this about a Paul McCartney album as I’ve been a major fan of his for the majority of my life, but I must confess that I’ve found Egypt Station, overall, to interest me less than probably any Macca album of his career. Having said that, I do really like “Dominoes”, “I Don’t Know”, and “Caesar Rock”. The rest doesn’t really resonate with me.

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  21. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

I’ve got a feeling.... announcement tomorrow morning.

I’m not an insider. Just a hopeful American fan

22. Ringo Hendrix

Ah, this brings back "fond" memories of predicting announcements every day for like two years straight waiting for the album itself to come out.

Good times, good times.

jmxw, theMess, planckera and 3 others like this.
  23. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

At this point anything can happen. Already days late from when it was scheduled so...sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!! I’d still think before Santa gets here but just a guess at this point

FKA002 likes this.
  24. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Might comes at the same time than Who Cares video?

25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

"Egypt Station" came in at No. 11 on Rolling Stone 50 best album's of 2018:

50 Best Albums of 2018 – Rolling Stone

"11
    Paul McCartney, ‘Egypt Station’

Macca debuted at Number One with Egypt Station — his first chart-topping album since the one that had “Ebony and Ivory” on it (36 years ago, if you’re keeping score). It’s a Ram-style suite packed with eccentric pop jewels, all touched with McCartney’s unmistakable spark. Frisky singles like “Fuh You” are out of place here, because the album’s highlights are spacier — the acoustic lament “Confidante,” the bossa nova plaint “Back In Brazil,” the postpunk guitar drone “Dominoes.” Egypt Station proves McCartney isn’t content to rest on his legend — at 76, he’s still hungry to keep building it."

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.