Paul McCartney - Egypt Station (#1 album in US) Appreciation Thread 2.0 - New and Improved

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacden

jacden Senior Member

There's endless possibilities when it comes to these tracks. No right or wrong. I added "Blink Of An Eye" as well as the other 2013-2016 stray tracks to "New" because it works for me. They sound completely out of place on "Egypt Station", but work pretty well as a postscript to "New" IMO. But we all hear these things differently.

2. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I split the four calendar years between New and Egypt Station evenly. 2014/2015 ("Hope For The Future", "Come and Get It", Kanye stuff, etc.) go with New. 2016/2017 (Skype emojis and "In The Blink of an Eye") go with Egypt Station.

However, it's all just a matter of personal preference.

FKA002 and paulmccartneyistheman like this.
  3. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I have collected all the spare songs/deluxe songs/movie songs and created a studio album. You can rearrange his 2010-2019 output and make amazingly varied, strong studio albums

4. paulmccartneyistheman

Press To Play isn't an album I visit that often, I do like Only Love Remains and However Absurd(and It's Not True but that's a B-side from the era obviously).

I'm not one to usually spot these things but I went to play However Absurd today and boy it sounds just like Despite Repeated Warnings! Especially when DRW's drums kicks in.

Someone else pointed that out one day and I didn't pay that comment any mind, but it does. Kinda cool, both cool songs. I think I prefer Despite Repeated Warnings..

5. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I bet if they make more singles, they're cutting out that feedback intro on "Who Cares" and marking it as a "Single Edit"

MPLRecords likes this.
  6. Calico

Calico Senior Member

I've always felt it felt better as a bonus track on "NEW".
    [​IMG]

7. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

In The Blink Of An Eye was released (and probably recorded) in 2016, and the sessions for ES (get) started at that time too, so I'd personally include it in an expanded ES set + it suits the vocal evolution better

8. Calico

Calico Senior Member

That is correct, but when that track appeared, Paul's latest album was "NEW" so that's where I put it, as well as the various non album tracks or guest vocal appearances that had come out since 2009. And I didn't include the collabs with Kanye W. because I wanted to keep the album enjoyable (my completist-ness has some limits :) ).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  9. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

The 2009-2013 tracks definitely belongs on New as no studio albums came out during that period (with the exception of Kisses, but as it is a standard album, it would be weird I think to suddenly have Cut Me Some Slack :crazy:, maybe (I Want To) Come Home would fit better)

I'd put the limit at mid-2015, so Hollywood Vampire's Come And Get It would be on ES, as well as ITBOAE and the Skype Jingles (and obviously Get Started, Nothing For Free and Get Enough and the luxary box tracks) and hey, maybe even Ringo's tracks and Charlotte Gainsbourg's Songbird in a cage! And the Kanye tracks and FFS on New
    ... What am I talking about already? X)

Calico likes this.
  10. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Hey all,

The cassette is back in stock at pm.com...

Egypt Station Cassette + Digital Bundle

It was out of stock not too long ago and fetching some high prices on Discogs and eBay. I just ordered mine with shipping less than $14.

11. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Just curious what prices was it at on discogs and eBay?

12. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

$50 on discogs and ebay sold for $40-50.

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  13. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Always funny to see Paul and the painting before the album was even conceived :D

Interesting to see that the painting is really pushed forward here
    I truly think it has a special signification for Paul (as etcetera once shared with us, the painting was in Paul and Linda's bedroom in Arizona, so it probably was in the room when Linda passed away...)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2019
  14. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Thought it was recorded in 2015 ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  15. When did a new version of Come and Get It come out? Oh, I see—a “Hollywood Vanpires” track.

16. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Record Store about 30 minutes away still had a bunch of I Dont’t Know/Come On To Me singles left over from RSD Black Friday.

17. paulmccartneyistheman

I love that 45!

beatlesfan9091 and MPLRecords like this.
  18. beatlesfan9091

Makes me want to get the whole album on vinyl.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  19. paulmccartneyistheman

You should, in my opinion it sounds really great! Love the packaging in the deluxe, if you can find a copy!

Who Cares and beatlesfan9091 like this.
  20. beatlesfan9091

What’s the difference between the deluxe and the regular?

21. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

22. paulmccartneyistheman

The packaging is expanded, really cool
    Imgur
    [​IMG]

beatlesfan9091 likes this.
  23. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

The hair looks fine but what's up with the crazy tie?

24. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Umm... you mean the black stripe that's part of the shirt? :shrug:

25. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

I heard No More Lonely Nights about 1 to 2 years ago at a Walgreens and was pleasantly surprised.

My Brave Face has gotten rotation as well.

MPLRecords likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.