Paul McCartney - Egypt Station (#1 album in US) Appreciation Thread 2.0 - New and Improved

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

These would all bee great set list additions!

The Band likes this.
  2. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

3. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

5. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

6. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Who Cares likes this.
  7. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

You really nail in a few sentences what makes this album so special and unique.

theMess and Bruce M. like this.
  8. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

It could just be that Bill knows the jig is almost up. A serious clue dropping is supposed to be coming on 9-9-20, though the final reveal seems to be scheduled for 9-9-27. But you never know if or when Heather Mills might get totally wasted and blow the lid off before then.

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I can tell you right now it's not.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  10. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

I think mortality and the passage of time has permeated a noticeable portion of his 21st century albums.

theMess likes this.
  11. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Not to be rude, I start to get the feeling that some people like it more for its lyrics than for its actual music....

Also, as a side note some keep trying to WAY overanalyze the lyrics like every line is some sacred prophetic book of philosophical meaning. Sometimes words are just done because they fit! Geese. this is the man who gave us "my salamander" for crying out loud. He isn't Really famous for his lyrics so much. Granted, his lyrics haven't been nearly as cringy lately as they once were.

Yes, I have suggested the idea of one or two lines being intentionally double entendre. But there is good reason to believe that...

For me, "New" is musically a lot more fleshed out but not so much lyrically where as Egypt Station is often very basic music -wise. More lyrically developed or at least 'aimed' than New.

For instance, Happy With You and Confidante stand no chance to Early Days in my book.

there's a quirk to each track on New for me, and it sounds so unified to me. E.S., on the other hand (in hand) is at times just so basic when it comes to the production. Some tracks like Who Cares (almost) sound mono to me. Instruments in one channel, hardly anything going on.

I am a fan of bigger production, filled arrangements I guess because I am a music and not a lyric person. To me, a stripped down arrangement is attractive mostly if it has a really great melody or voice to make up for the lack of arrangement and production.

I am the exact same way about Lennon's Imagine, Plastic Ono Band wins for me despite being less produced because it has much better music and the melodies and vocals (the role they play, anyways...) are so much better to me. I don't care for Imagine at all as an album, but I love Plastic Ono Band.

Imagine is such a boring album to me. I love many of the tracks, some are among my favorites. But as an album... Yet at the same time, Paul was making the wonderful Ram which besides Back Seat, wasn't reliant on old unfinished tunes..

I still vastly prefer E.s. As an album to Imagine.

anyways, I have strayed from my main point. :D

12. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

That's my friend Rebecca haha...You forgot the onions.

theMess, susyredstripe and Who Cares like this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Whatever I personally find very little to enjoy in those videos
    However that doesn t lessen my wiew of the album

14. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

I agree :)

Do you read the press release? Watch: New ‘Come On To Me’ Video — "Team Ali"

"Ali is hard-working, confident, joyful …and a hopeless romantic. His long-standing crush on a young woman who frequents the food truck often results in him flashing a smile that he hopes will say to her he’s looking for more than just casual conversation. Why’s that? Ali’s goal in life is to find a wife…"

theMess and mikecarrera like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But the young woman's goal in life is to just get a decent omelette, so Ali is out of luck .... ;)

16. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Arguably it starts with Flaming Pie (with Linda's illness surely playing a role), but I think it's come up several notches with this album.

17. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Haven't posted in this thread for awhile, but having watched the 2 COTM music videos, I feel they're missing something. Call me crazy, but it just seems weird following around different people as they dance at different locations, staring into the camera the whole time.

In my head, a version of the music video taking place at a hip party in '60s London could be cool, with the fashion and hairstyles to boot. Not Paul, but the camera could follow some 20-something artist flirting with an mysterious girl while floating around the party, with the 2 of them coming together at the end.

18. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I'm sorry, but what was wrong with Driving Rain? Was Freedom not a big single? Very successful tour followed that album.

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

I'm glad you like the album, really! As far as the tour, Paul could release a remake of John's Wedding album and tour on it and have sold out shows every night. There is no correlation for Paul between album quality and tour size, at least since 1989. To me, Driving Rain is a rushed poorly created album that lacks the quality songs that represent his work in the last quarter century or so. He was essentially trying to copy the formula of Wild Life with quickly recorded quickly created songs and it failed, imo.

See below podcast for further insight. I agree with most of their findings.

Episode 25 – Driving Rain | Take It Away: The Complete Paul McCartney Archive Podcast

20. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

About Come On To Me - Promo Film #2 (Team Ali)
    • Directed by TG Herrington
    • Filmmaker John Paul Summers
    • Produced by Nicelle Herrington - Nom De Guerre Films
    • Line Producer Han Soto
    • Filmed in New Orleans, Louisiana
    • Made in the 504 Studio
    • Alec Rayme as Ali Almohri
    • Rebecca Rebouché as the young woman
    • Published on October 11, 2018
    • Duration: 4:25 minutes

21. jconsolmagno

It was certified gold in USA, as was every other studio album since Broad Street until NEW. It did no more or no better than anything else he has released since.

A career misstep it was not.

I remember hearing Freedom quite a bit, in fact, it hit the top 100. Something he has done only once since the release of this album.

theMess, Zeki, foxylady and 3 others like this.
  22. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

I'm not saying it's horrible by any means, just one of Paul's weaker releases, to me.

JRSIV, The Band and sandmountainslim1 like this.
  23. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    tteal likes this.
  24. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Another interview with Michael Marina (Come On To Me - Team Fred):

610 Stomper dances his way into a Paul McCartney video

"And no, he did not get to meet Paul McCartney.

“Honestly, I was waiting for him to just like pop in, just like a random person,” Marina said. “But no, I have yet to meet him. Hopefully that happens in the future. We’ll see. If he needs extra security, he knows where to find me, and he already knows that I can dance to his song. He won’t have to pay for security and a dancer. I’m the best of both worlds!”"

theMess and tteal like this.
  25. jconsolmagno

You said it "damaged the legacy", it seemed par for course for releases from 1989 - 2007.

I disagree.

Whether you liked it or not, did he sell more records before or after?

Zeki and Frank like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.